Computers & Internet Smartphones no longer useful?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
As time goes on it seems that the screen technology of the smartphone is more and more good for ads, or addiction, rather than actually being useful.

Virtually every app is inundated with ads, a reward system for repetitive use, or both. The only way around this is with endless subscriptions.

It's a pity, but I'd wager the humble fliphone with the more basic apps is once again just as useful as the more addictive smartphone.

I'd wager the humble fliphone with the more basic apps is once again just as useful as the more addictive smartphone.
I mean, that’s manifestly untrue. My phone is also my GPS, teleconferencing device, mobile hotspot, security key, wallet, ID and pocket media player.

I’d probably get rid of my smartphone (or at least swap to a PinePhone) if I didn’t need it for work, but I won’t pretend it’s not useful.

• Banned
I mean, that’s manifestly untrue. My phone is also my GPS, teleconferencing device, mobile hotspot, security key, wallet, ID and pocket media player.

I’d probably get rid of my smartphone (or at least swap to a PinePhone) if I didn’t need it for work, but I won’t pretend it’s not useful.
You could get all that with a flip phone except for teleconferencing I suppose.

I stick to simple apps that don't offer points to unlock things and in-app points purchases, but those are somewhat rare now.

As time goes on it seems that the screen technology of the smartphone is more and more good for ads, or addiction, rather than actually being useful.

Virtually every app is inundated with ads, a reward system for repetitive use, or both. The only way around this is with endless subscriptions.

It's a pity, but I'd wager the humble fliphone with the more basic apps is once again just as useful as the more addictive smartphone.
Not at all.

I have about 30 apps (IOS) I use in my communications business to connect to equipment, cloud based services or for general operations. I use these apps for diagnosing equipment, programing equipment, collating test results and even issuing invoices etc.

Not one has an ad or subscription model (although MYOB is a monthly fee for the cloud service). Most of them are free as well.

There are a few key things that make smartphones much better than the old flip or 'feature' phones. GPS, NFC payment, camera.

Portable music player for some but the quality is much poorer than dedicated devices with excellent DACs.

But I get your drift - most apps are bullshit. Get rid of them. Even the cool games, are mostly s**t really.
And the ones you keep, turn off notifications unless you actually really need them.
We hardly watch ads on TV anymore so the fight for our attention is now via apps and their ads and notifications.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back