Silly cartoon guernsey

Remove this Banner Ad

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I can't help still being dismayed at the hideous away geurnsey that the club has decided to use this year. This is an email I have written to the club. If there is no passion for this issue I'll be quiet after this post.
G'day Western Bulldogs, thank you for such a great year last year and I hope we do even better this coming year. I am generally happy with the club and how it is run so please put this email in context. The reason for the email is to express my displeasure at the new away geurnsey. After many years of asking we finally got our 'hoops' back. That was a great day for the club. But the new away geurnsey looks like something straight out of the 1990s. It looks hideous ( way worse than the original white clash with robo-dog). Maybe use it as a NAB cup or training geurnsey, but not for premiership points, on TV, in front of millions ( how embarrassing). What if we had to wear it in an away final?? Adelaide had a bad one last year (not as bad as ours, no cartoon) and had to wear it against us in a final. Their fans have spoken up and they will now get a great one. They have a great hoops geurnsey like ours, but we have better colours. There are so many different geurnseys you could come up with that would still look like an 'Aussie rules' jumper. Eg Add a couple of extra blue and red hoops to the white guernseys if you think they are too boring.
I am not on Facebook or Twitter to see their reactions but I am on the forum. The general AFL uniforms page melted down with derision and laughter at us when this geurnsey was announced. But what makes me maddest of all was the fact that we weren't asked about this important symbol of our great club. Every Bulldog I spoke to over the holidays hates it, but they are the silent majority. Please start hearing your people. Essendon treat their geurnsey with the respect it deserves, so should we. I look forward to your reasons. Thank you ...
What do we think??

I can't help still being dismayed at the hideous away geurnsey that the club has decided to use this year. This is an email I have written to the club. If there is no passion for this issue I'll be quiet after this post.
G'day Western Bulldogs, thank you for such a great year last year and I hope we do even better this coming year. I am generally happy with the club and how it is run so please put this email in context. The reason for the email is to express my displeasure at the new away geurnsey. After many years of asking we finally got our 'hoops' back. That was a great day for the club. But the new away geurnsey looks like something straight out of the 1990s. It looks hideous ( way worse than the original white clash with robo-dog). Maybe use it as a NAB cup or training geurnsey, but not for premiership points, on TV, in front of millions ( how embarrassing). What if we had to wear it in an away final?? Adelaide had a bad one last year (not as bad as ours, no cartoon) and had to wear it against us in a final. Their fans have spoken up and they will now get a great one. They have a great hoops geurnsey like ours, but we have better colours. There are so many different geurnseys you could come up with that would still look like an 'Aussie rules' jumper. Eg Add a couple of extra blue and red hoops to the white guernseys if you think they are too boring.
I am not on Facebook or Twitter to see their reactions but I am on the forum. The general AFL uniforms page melted down with derision and laughter at us when this geurnsey was announced. But what makes me maddest of all was the fact that we weren't asked about this important symbol of our great club. Every Bulldog I spoke to over the holidays hates it, but they are the silent majority. Please start hearing your people. Essendon treat their geurnsey with the respect it deserves, so should we. I look forward to your reasons. Thank you ...
What do we think??
I agree,the cartoon jumper looks silly but there must be some marketing types around who think it's great and I suppose kids will want to buy it so that would be their logic.
I liked last year's away strip perfectly fine,the white one.kept our design and colours was just predominately white.

I surely can't be the only one who doesn't hate the away guernsey? In fact, I like it a bit, really.
Keep the home jumper as it is, obviously, but ever since we've had the simple hoops clash uniform I've always said it's too bland and boring.
Sure, I know the league-wide trend of "Keep it simple, stupid" and "less is more" kind of logic but I think it's gone too much that way to the point that we were served up a bland, unimaginative clash uniform with no creativity of flair in it.
And too be honest, they actually did a pretty good job. They put a bulldog on it (gee whiz, it's amazing how people seem to hate putting a bulldog on the uniform of a team called the bulldogs) and the made the hoops uneven and curved which I don't mind. It's creative.
And on top of all that, there's the branding aspect - especially with kid etc. We changed our logo, and we're promoting the brand etc. to get supporters. By transporting the bulldog from the logo to the uniform it's easier to identify with.
I honestly didn't like the old clash uniform for lack of creativity. I see this one as an improvement.

I like the 'cartoon' jumper.

The bulldog on it looks fantastic. Frightening, ready to rip their throats out. Big scary teeth. Claws to rip open their guts. A stern serious 'get out my effen way' look on the dogs face. It is ready for a fight and it is going to win.

It really is a genius piece of art. It has just about everything that you want a mascot to be.

Yep. The red one was a disgrace, this is nearly as bad. Surely something else we could do to get a clash jumper. The NY Giants are normally in blue with red and white but have a clash one that is all white with a couple of red hoops on the arms and a blue helmet. Would have thought we could emulate it with blue shorts and socks maybe. There was some discussion we were looking to build a relationship with them anyway so maybe this could factor in.

the back of it looks like the pepsi logo, apart from that it's ok, definitely better than that rancid red one

The back of the jumper doesn't look good.

I like the 'rancid' red one too. Red is a winners colour. We should have a more powerful red though.

I like the way that the cartoon dog is plastered all over the jumper. Nice and big and scary.

I can't understand why people like the present hoops jumper. It's ****-eyed. Looks like the player has been cut in half and is bleeding. It is not balanced at all. Maybe its because we won a premiership in it and people like to dream. Oh well, looks like we are set to win a premiership in it again this year.

The bulldog on it looks fantastic. Frightening, ready to rip their throats out. Big scary teeth. Claws to rip open their guts. A stern serious 'get out my effen way' look on the dogs face. It is ready for a fight and it is going to win.

It really is a genius piece of art. It has just about everything that you want a mascot to be.

I like it also - far better than previous white or red away guerseys
You will find that it was voted in for the one off game last year so a significant enough of supporters liked and voted for it.

Anything has to be better than last years , both the red and white jumpers were horrible :eek:

100% agree. The logo/mascot should have no place on the guernsey.

Returning to the hoops was a big step forward (or backwards as it were), we finally have a timeless jumper that is arguably the best in the comp.

The away guernsey from last year with maybe a red collar, red trim around the shoulders would have been fine. If they felt compelled to whack the dog on there a small logo in the middle of the chest would have sufficed.

I'm assuming BLK designed it? They probably had a hand in the recent Richmond training kits as well - awful.

You will find that it was voted in for the one off game last year so a significant enough of supporters liked and voted for it.
Yes but it was the best of 3 abysmal options. A none of the above option would have been my pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I bought it because I liked it & I have no problems with it. It would only be worn a handful of times a year so shouldn't be too much of a problem, however if there is enough against it I guess it would be changed next season again. Personally I prefer a different design rather than just changing colours & having the away strip as white with the same hoops as the home guernsey.

Whilst I'm not a fan of cartoon jumpers,I sure am a fan of your passionate description of it.Hopefully it has the effect your mentioning.If we are ever 10 goals down at halftime whilst wearing our new away strip,I definitely vote for you to give the half time spray.

100% agree. The logo/mascot should have no place on the guernsey.

Returning to the hoops was a big step forward (or backwards as it were), we finally have a timeless jumper that is arguably the best in the comp.

The away guernsey from last year with maybe a red collar, red trim around the shoulders would have been fine. If they felt compelled to whack the dog on there a small logo in the middle of the chest would have sufficed.

I'm assuming BLK designed it? They probably had a hand in the recent Richmond training kits as well - awful.
Yep,red collar, red trim, even red shorts?

For the same people who are saying that they liked the simple hoops clash guernsey... I can't see how people don't see it's a little... bland, if that's the right word.

I dig the home jumper. It's the one that we've won our only flag in and that design is timeless.

But isn't the clash uniform the opportunity to be a little bit creative, artistic and promote the branding of our logo? As "cartoon" as you might find it?

I surely can't be the only one who doesn't hate the away guernsey? In fact, I like it a bit, really.
Keep the home jumper as it is, obviously, but ever since we've had the simple hoops clash uniform I've always said it's too bland and boring.
Sure, I know the league-wide trend of "Keep it simple, stupid" and "less is more" kind of logic but I think it's gone too much that way to the point that we were served up a bland, unimaginative clash uniform with no creativity of flair in it.
And too be honest, they actually did a pretty good job. They put a bulldog on it (gee whiz, it's amazing how people seem to hate putting a bulldog on the uniform of a team called the bulldogs) and the made the hoops uneven and curved which I don't mind. It's creative.
And on top of all that, there's the branding aspect - especially with kid etc. We changed our logo, and we're promoting the brand etc. to get supporters. By transporting the bulldog from the logo to the uniform it's easier to identify with.
I honestly didn't like the old clash uniform for lack of creativity. I see this one as an improvement.
Yeah i dig it, and compared to the red, anything is surely an improvement, even if just marginally, as some may argue.

The back of the jumper doesn't look good.

I like the 'rancid' red one too. Red is a winners colour. We should have a more powerful red though.

I like the way that the cartoon dog is plastered all over the jumper. Nice and big and scary.

I can't understand why people like the present hoops jumper. It's ****-eyed. Looks like the player has been cut in half and is bleeding. It is not balanced at all. Maybe its because we won a premiership in it and people like to dream. Oh well, looks like we are set to win a premiership in it again this year.

Where's the unlike button?

Yeah but let's tell the full story there were only 3 or 4 choices which all had a crap cartoon from memory. I abstained as they were all shocking. I suspect many others did as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back