• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

EagleCanival

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
After a polarizing rising star award which has divided people in half. It gets me reminiscing about the 2011 Rising Star year which saw Shuey and Heppell as the outstanding candidates. Which raises the question, which footballer would you currently prefer to be wearing your clubs colours?

Here's a look at their 2015 numbers
Luke Shuey
24.1 disposals a game at 74.2% efficiency (14 uncontested. 10.4 contested)
6 clearances a game
21 goals
22 goal assists
3.5 marks
5 tackles

Dyson Heppell
25.7 disposals a game at 70.7% efficiency (14.5 uncontested 11.4 contested)
4.9 clearances a game
13 goals
5 goal assists
4.9 marks
4.8 tackles

Luke Shuey is probably my favourite player that doesn't play for Essendon, however put a hard tag on him each week and I think you would see his numbers reduced significantly.

Luke Shuey is probably my favourite player that doesn't play for Essendon, however put a hard tag on him each week and I think you would see his numbers reduced significantly.
He gets a hard tag most games.....
Shuey is more damaging and gets it around the same so answer is pretty easy.

Shuey has had the better season.

For a player that only gets 24 Disposals a game, he is incredibly damaging.

Heppell, but I'm pretty sure both sets of supporters are happy with their respective players

Shuey had the better year marginally. All the other years Heppell has been better and he's younger and has better leadership. There's a good reason why Heppell has so many more awards than Shuey even though he's younger. Also lets be real how much easier would it have been to play in the Eagles side this year than Essendon. Over his career Shuey goes missing quite a lot as well - perhaps not this year as much but still I'm sure if anyone cared to have a look at threads on the Eagles board from 2014 they might see some opinions that agree.

Heppell comfortably for mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Shuey showed how damaging he can be without having to rack up 30+ a game
In the stat-centric society that doesn't matter though.

Seriously though Shuey had about 23 or so? And Mitchell had 35. The difference between their two games is astronomical.

Disposal count means **** all, it's what you do with the ball, and Shuey was excellent with it last night.

Back