List Mgmt. Should we ask the AFL for a Priority Pick?

Should we ask for a Priority Pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Well if we are not winning another game this year the decision might be taken out of our hands and the AFL might look at it finishing bottom 2 years straight (assuming north get another win before playing us and they certainly look like they have one in them)

I'm fairly sure it's an issue with our development policies rather than recruitment.

Almost all of those first round picks were widely acknowledged as likely first round selections pre-draft. At worst, they were solid second-round selections. There was no question whether they were "good enough" to be on AFL lists. McAsey is a perfect example, he was widely considered to be the best KPD in the draft. It wasn't the case that we plucked him out of nowhere. Yet his development has stalled, to the point that we had to use our top-up pick on a depth player in his position. Either everybody was wrong about him... or something has gone wrong since he got here. The former option can happen occasionally, but when it happens time and time again...

Ironically, it's the players who were seemingly plucked out of nowhere that have tended to work out for us.

I think there’s something missing in the all our early picks were expected to be early picks mitigation

Yes, there aren’t too many who weren’t taken thereabouts of expectation, but the expected base of rate of failure is 50% or higher.

There is a built in fail rate that the good recruiters are expected to navigate past.

We haven’t. We pick up too many fail cards and not enough hit cards

Just saying we picked from the right deck isn’t much of a creditable argument

His hit rate in the early rounds could be matched by random luck and possibly bettered

Clubs who fu** their list shouldn't be rewarded. We made some monumentally bad decisions. We tried to keep the window open too long without trying to get the next crop developed whilst in a winning side.

In summary we deserve our current lot.

If the AFL starts handing out picks to irresponsible clubs then everyone will just start going all in.

Get to the ******* draft and trade table and stop making sh*t decisions.

Dont:

- Trade 2 firsts for Gibbs
- Pick Jones and McHenry in a super draft
- Play older players to the detriment of developing youth
- Let players like Greenwood and Lyons walk and then wonder why you got nothin left
- Let the culture become so bad that players like Cameron and Betts want out so bad.

Post-season 2017-2020 is the 4 of the worst years of back to back sh*t decision making and we want a leg up? Piss right off and take your medicine

Yes!!! 🙌🏿

We will all be calling for one after the North game.
We wont get one this year, next year I'll be expecting one.

Won’t happen.

More chance of North finishing above us, giving us back to back spoons and then the vic centric media justifying the league giving North a priority pick instead.

Seriously this league takes any opportunity to knock us down and penalise us. They ain’t throwing any help our way.

The AFL would likely laugh at us if we ask for a priority pick. Their first response would be "Why are you asking for a priority pick when the chief architect of your demise in Mark Riccuito along with his cohorts in Reid and Ogilvie are still there?" Would we have the cheek to not fix the problem but asks for handouts? Probably. I'm sure they would tell us to get our house in order before we have the gall to ask for a priority pick. I I believe they would also mention that giving priority picks to the same failed group who have put the club in the worst predicament since it's inception would waste the handout anyway. They would be right.

In saying that we do need assistance but any help the AFL gives us must start with a new board and chairman along with the immediate resignation of Riccuito, Reid, Ogilvie, Kelly.
While I don't rate Nick's at all he hasn't been given a fair shake. In saying that, in the current position we find ourselves in I would be targetting Clarkson or the next best along with Neale Balme as our football head of ops. A decent head of recruiting and head of list management would be the next roles to fill. The AFL must begin to help us help ourselves. If they don't we will be a basket case for sometime. The club is a good club but it has been hijacked by people who don't have its best interests at heart or are incompetent.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with all the criticisms, but isn’t refusing an equalization measure kind of self defeating? It would be like having a JUH-type windfall land in our lap and then refusing to match a bid, just to prove how committed we are to getting success only when we really deserve it.

Oh i wouldn’t say no. I just think in parallel we need some internal man conversations about how we got here if we are to get out of the hole

I’d ask for a pp all day long

Last edited:
What did it take for other teams to get it?

North have won something like 11 in the same time. They give give both of us priority picks?

GC had 7 wins in 44 games
Brisbane got an end of first round PP with 7 wins in 44 games (2015/16)

Yep. I'm pretty comfortable saying we're the worst team in the league on current form.
What has happened to the blue skies being enjoyed by many on here after round 4?

Priority Picks - forget the GC package, that was done because the AFL themselves botched their introduction, so ignore that in any PP discussion.

Since the Melbourne non tanking episode waaay back when, there has only been one PP given, pick 19 to Brisbane after they had become a basket case.

Talk of a PP for us or anyone else is a waste of key strokes, it's just not happening

Whilst it's pretty much doom and gloom at the moment, in the preseason, most people said that a good result this year would be 5-6 wins as it shows we are improving. Given that we've made that mark, how do we feel now? Apart from the last 2 weeks and GWS game, we've been competitive in most matches, are we on the right track? I've liked what I've seen when our skills have been able to keep up with the game plan (usually for 3 quarters, how bad we are in the other one has determined the match result but it's usually been baaaaad), butts and schoey are looking good, TT obviously looks to be a future gun, murray is an unexpected bonus, getting games (if not better roles) into the kids. Is this year just part of the gradual process of getting better? We're at least 3-4 years off so do we just have to be patient and look to the draft?

Back