Traded Shannon Byrnes (2004-2012)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: No.17 Shannon Byrnes

LOL! If he cares what i say he is mentally weak! bahaha thats funny. Poor shannons heart might break...

While Varcoe doesn't get a lot of the ball his intensity inside 50. He lead the AFl for tackles inside 50. As a young player you have to allow for inconsistency.

I think you underestimate the amount of difference between BFL and TAC Cup is. Besides 3 years for a tall is not long. There isn't many Lance Franklins.

What does byrnes add?
u dont allow for inconsistency just cos hes a young player. everyone goes by the same rules.
on saturday night:
byrnes-16 disposals 88% effective 2 inside 50 1clearance 1 clanger 3 tackles 2 goals 3 assists
varcoe-3 disposals 100%effective 1 inside 50 0 clearances 1 clanger 2 tackles 0 goals 0 assists
who do you think deserves a game more???

im not underestimating anything when it comes to nath. but he is still a player on the list and the rules are no different for him as they are for anyone else just cos he didnt play in the tac cup.

Shannon is shit, Trav is not.

Nothing that Shannon will do will see him be close to a regular 22 spot. He just doesn't have what it takes.

May as well pass him off now before the rest of the league catches on, because he still has a few cats supporters bluffed
the only thing that is shite are your comments. For example Travis collected 3 possessions on Saturday night and Shannon collected 16 and slotted 2 goals. I really dont want to bag Travis but I think you have the wrong player in your sights.

u dont allow for inconsistency just cos hes a young player. everyone goes by the same rules.
on saturday night:
byrnes-16 disposals 88% effective 2 inside 50 1clearance 1 clanger 3 tackles 2 goals 3 assists
varcoe-3 disposals 100%effective 1 inside 50 0 clearances 1 clanger 2 tackles 0 goals 0 assists
who do you think deserves a game more???

im not underestimating anything when it comes to nath. but he is still a player on the list and the rules are no different for him as they are for anyone else just cos he didnt play in the tac cup.

Yes you do. Its impossible for a young player to be consistent. Other wise young players would be dropped every second week.

I didn't. Both will be dropped this week. But Varcoe would be selected first. has 10 times more upside.

You need patience with Nath. People have to much expectation. Infact he is playing great footy considering where he has come from.

He's not mentally weak - far from it, but c'mon no one likes having crap spoken about them unless you name is, er, Kiki Kannible (anyone with MySpace should know what that is).

Byrnes adds pace, most of you don't agree with this because you close your eyes in fear when he gets the ball.
Maybe if you looked in the background a bit you'd notice he runs around and chases his opponent.

We all know he shanks some of his kicks... But wait, who else shanks a lot of their kicks especially under pressure? Hmm, Joel Corey.
I don't see any of you saying he should be dropped and such because he's an important part of our midfield.
Shannon could be important too, if he had time to settle in!

Judging someone on one game is wrong and misleading, hence why I still think Shannon needs improvement.
If I'd never seen Shannon play before and I was to judge him on Saturday nights performance I'd think he's great. But he's not the best right now.
Once he performs consistently well over a couple of game then I'll say that, but guess what he needs to show that he can play well? To be in the side.
We need to play around a bit, find what position plays his best footy in, etc.

If he loses a game for us then maybe it's fair to say he should be traded/dropped/whatever.
But he hasn't done that and he's done nothing but add goals, depth and a little bit of pace to our side.

Funny thing is, if he has another couple of good games you guys will say it was just a fluke etc.
Maybe it was just a fluke that Varcoe had a few good games?
Anyone that's saying Byrnes should be dropped ahead of Varcoe is kidding themselves.
Why do you guys hate him so much that you need to pick on his every mistake like the rest of the team is perfect and doesn't make mistakes?

the only thing that is shite are your comments. For example Travis collected 3 possessions on Saturday night and Shannon collected 16 and slotted 2 goals. I really dont want to bag Travis but I think you have the wrong player in your sights.

he had 88% effectiveness including 2 goals from set shots on saturday night.

You guys are insane! One game doesn't make a player. Besides you cant even compare disposals they play a different type of role in the forward line.

He's not mentally weak - far from it, but c'mon no one likes having crap spoken about them unless you name is, er, Kiki Kannible (anyone with MySpace should know what that is).

Byrnes adds pace, most of you don't agree with this because you close your eyes in fear when he gets the ball.
Maybe if you looked in the background a bit you'd notice he runs around and chases his opponent.

We all know he shanks some of his kicks... But wait, who else shanks a lot of their kicks especially under pressure? Hmm, Joel Corey.
I don't see any of you saying he should be dropped and such because he's an important part of our midfield.
Shannon could be important too, if he had time to settle in!

Judging someone on one game is wrong and misleading, hence why I still think Shannon needs improvement.
If I'd never seen Shannon play before and I was to judge him on Saturday nights performance I'd think he's great. But he's not.
Once he performs consistently well over a couple of game then I'll say that, but guess what he needs to show that he can play well? To be in the side.
We need to play around a bit, find what position plays his best footy in, etc.

If he loses a game for us then maybe it's fair to say he should be traded/dropped/whatever.
But he hasn't done that and he's done nothing but add goals, depth and a little bit of pace to our side.

Funny thing is, if he has another couple of good games you guys will say it was just a fluke etc.
Maybe it was just a fluke that Varcoe had a few good games?
Anyone that's saying Byrnes should be dropped ahead of Varcoe is kidding themselves.
Why do you guys hate him so much that you need to pick on his every mistake like the rest of the team is perfect and doesn't make mistakes?

So why say that he plays shit because he cops shit? If it worrys him that much he is weak.

Of course he does, but thats all he adds. Nothing else except for his pace is valuable to the team.

Joel Corey may shank under pressure, Shannon does under no pressure. Corey also gets double the amount of possessions. He also gets clearances, he can also play down back.

Shannon has missed his midfield opportunity. He wont play there again. He is a forward with poor disposal and can't kick a goal. All he has is pace. Woj has pace, Mackie has pace, Varcoe has pace. We have enough pace.

Shannon will never settle in. he will never EVER be in the 22.

Yes you do. Its impossible for a young player to be consistent. Other wise young players would be dropped every second week.

I didn't. Both will be dropped this week. But Varcoe would be selected first. has 10 times more upside.

You need patience with Nath. People have to much expectation. Infact he is playing great footy considering where he has come from.
Impossible for a young player to be consistent???Joel Selwood was one of our ost consistent players this year!!

I dont wanna bag varcoe, but byrnes would CLEARLY be selected ahead of him atm and if u cant see that then ur mind is obvioudly made up about him all together and ur just writing him off.

Impossible for a young player to be consistent???Joel Selwood was one of our ost consistent players this year!!

I dont wanna bag varcoe, but byrnes would CLEARLY be selected ahead of him atm and if u cant see that then ur mind is obvioudly made up about him all together and ur just writing him off.

Selwood is an exception. He is a star. Look at other young players and you will see.

Depends what the team wants? Hard Tackling player or a pacey lead up goal sneak.

So why say that he plays shit because he cops shit? If it worrys him that much he is weak.

Of course he does, but thats all he adds. Nothing else except for his pace is valuable to the team.

Joel Corey may shank under pressure, Shannon does under no pressure. Corey also gets double the amount of possessions. He also gets clearances, he can also play down back.

Shannon has missed his midfield opportunity. He wont play there again. He is a forward with poor disposal and can't kick a goal. All he has is pace. Woj has pace, Mackie has pace, Varcoe has pace. We have enough pace.

Bloody shannon haters give me the shits.....

Shannon Byrnes is not a forward with poor diposal. He is a midfielder/wingman who adds pace and run and drive to the team. And clearly he CAN kick a goal. He kicked 2 on saturday!

You need to be open minded. Believe it or not, the kid can play football!!!!

Selwood is an exception. He is a star. Look at other young players and you will see.

Depends what the team wants? Hard Tackling player or a pacey lead up goal sneak.
Hard tackling player? He laid 2 tackles on saturday! Once again i dont wanna bag varcoe, but it proves my point that you won't give byrnes a chance.

Bloody shannon haters give me the shits.....

Shannon Byrnes is not a forward with poor diposal. He is a midfielder/wingman who adds pace and run and drive to the team. And clearly he CAN kick a goal. He kicked 2 on saturday!

You need to be open minded. Believe it or not, the kid can play football!!!!

Haha you gotta be kidding. Shannon is not a midfielders arseh*le! he hasn't played there for ages!

He can CLEARLY kick a point a career total of 18 goals 35 points sums it up doesnt it.

My mind is open. Ive seen 42 games of shannon, i dont want anymore.

Hard tackling player? He laid 2 tackles on saturday! Once again i dont wanna bag varcoe, but it proves my point that you won't give byrnes a chance.

Stop basing your opinions on ONE game. Varcoe lead the AFL, yes AFL for tackles inside 50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha you gotta be kidding. Shannon is not a midfielders arseh*le! he hasn't played there for ages!

He can CLEARLY kick a point a career total of 18 goals 35 points sums it up doesnt it.

My mind is open. Ive seen 42 games of shannon, i dont want anymore.
so im an arseh*le for giving my opinion am i? u clearly have no idea.

he is a midfileder. just because he hasnt had alot of oppurtunities to play ther in the afl does not mean he is not one.

if your mind was open you would be saying maybe he can turn around that career tally, lets see if he can play some good consistent football, not that u dont want him to play another game.

so im an arseh*le for giving my opinion am i? u clearly have no idea.

he is a midfileder. just because he hasnt had alot of oppurtunities to play ther in the afl does not mean he is not one.

if your mind was open you would be saying maybe he can turn around that career tally, lets see if he can play some good consistent football, not that u dont want him to play another game.

Did i say u were? no! i said he isnt a midfielders arseh*le. :rolleyes:

How can you be a midfielder if you dont play there. Its like saying nathan is a CHB, but because we have Ego he cant play there.

No, i am just realising the facts. People are to optimistic. If you follow this view then you must give Charlie Gardiner a chance. Will you?

Stop basing your opinions on ONE game. Varcoe lead the AFL, yes AFL for tackles inside 50.
I'm not just basing it on one game, but it does play a major part. The last game a player played is the best indicator of the form they are in.

I'm not just basing it on one game, but it does play a major part. The last game a player played is the best indicator of the form they are in.

You can't base form on one game. Do you think Mooney was in bad form after the Port game?

Did i say u were? no! i said he isnt a midfielders arseh*le. :rolleyes:

How can you be a midfielder if you dont play there. Its like saying nathan is a CHB, but because we have Ego he cant play there.

No, i am just realising the facts. People are to optimistic. If you follow this view then you must give Charlie Gardiner a chance. Will you?
No because he hasn't played well enough in the vfl to warrant a spot in the afl. Byrnes has played well enough in the vfl, earned himself a spot, and in my book has done enough to keep it!

Here we go...

I wasn't, I was merely suggesting that no one likes being talked about like that and maybe it does play a very small part - but it's no excuse for a bad game.

So he doesn't add depth? If Stokes and Varcoe got injured who would be bought in?

I've seen Joel Corey shank under no pressure. That set shot on goal a few months back? There was no pressure on him because that goal wasn't overly important IIRC.

Shannon has missed his midfield opportunity. He wont play there again.
Maybe he doesn't play his best footy in the midfield then?

He is a forward with poor disposal and can't kick a goal.
He kicked not just one, but two goals on Saturday night. It's not like he's never kicked a goal before. I'm not denying he kicks a lot of points and he needs to work on it but he does kick goals and to say he can't is incorrect.

All he has is pace. Woj has pace, Mackie has pace, Varcoe has pace. We have enough pace
Wojo has a dodgy knee and Varcoe isn't up to AFL standard right now. We need depth, don't we?

Are you psychic? Or are you making a silly assumption?

I'm a 13 year old that looks up to players as hero's.
Sorry if it's hard for me to criticise them in such a way, but they do their best and sometimes it's not enough and sometimes it is, they're always going to have their good and bad days and IMO Shannon has more on the good side rather than bad.

In a nutshell I'm just saying I'd prefer Shannon to Travis any day of the week because I could rely on Shannon to get the ball in the first place.

I'm in no way saying Shannon is a player as good as Gary Ablett or anything like that, but he's handy to have as depth and he is no where near as bad as you make him out to be.

Next year it might be a different story, who knows.

No because he hasn't played well enough in the vfl to warrant a spot in the afl. Byrnes has played well enough in the vfl, earned himself a spot, and in my book has done enough to keep it!

What on earth are you talking about! Charlie has kicked 35 goals. Including some big bags. What has he doen to keep it?

What on earth are you talking about! Charlie has kicked 35 goals. Including some big bags. What has he doen to keep it?
But he hasn't played well enough to warrant a spot ahead of Mooney or Nath who are the players who he is fighting for a spot with.

Byrnes has definetly played well enough to keep his spot. If you can't see that then you have totally made up ur mind on him for the worst. Open your eyes.

Here we go...

I wasn't, I was merely suggesting that no one likes being talked about like that and maybe it does play a very small part - but it's no excuse for a bad game.

It shouldnt play ANY part at all.

So he doesn't add depth? If Stokes and Varcoe got injured who would be bought in?

Id rather Djerkurra, Gamble, Gardiner, Prismall before Shannon

I've seen Joel Corey shank under no pressure. That set shot on goal a few months back? There was no pressure on him because that goal wasn't overly important IIRC. Mate, Joel Corey is my favourite player,

Maybe he doesn't play his best footy in the midfield then?

Yes, but he doesn't do it consistently like shannon. Well I was refering to Brycsons comment about him being a idfielder. But further proves my point, you need more then 18 goals from a forward. Unless he is a defender :rolleyes:

He kicked not just one, but two goals on Saturday night. It's not like he's never kicked a goal before. I'm not denying he kicks a lot of points and he needs to work on it but he does kick goals and to say he can't is incorrect.

Wojo has a dodgy knee and Varcoe isn't up to AFL standard right now. We need depth, don't we?

Big deal he has kicked two! he has also kicked ONLY 18 goals in 42 games! is that something you want in the team. Even Charlie has kicked more. Its not incorrect its fact.

Wojo's knee is fine. We need depth, i agree, we have it. We don't need shannon. And if shannon is just depth, why argue he can be in our 22?

And if shannon is just depth, why argue he can be in our 22?
I'm not, if we had no injuries then I'd be fine if he wasn't playing.
I'm arguing that he should be in the side ahead of Varcoe and you're making him out to be worse than he is.

But he hasn't played well enough to warrant a spot ahead of Mooney or Nath who are the players who he is fighting for a spot with.

Byrnes has definetly played well enough to keep his spot. If you can't see that then you have totally made up ur mind on him for the worst. Open your eyes.

Charlie Isn't a tall forward mate. People need to learn that. In fact he plays the same role as "the Hack" (formally known as shannon byrnes) Leading forward come forward pocket.

Before last week he hadn't kicked a goal since round 18. ****n great form that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back