SFNL Division 1 2017

WHO WILL WIN THE 2017 DIV 1 FLAG

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit quiet in here?

Chelt in some good form at present having knocked off St Pauls then Mordi!

Credit to Chelt who played well but they were the beneficiary of a Sandringham bye and had some good ins, including ex AFL listed player Myke Cook and Josh Fox. Neither have qualified should they play finals. Mordy have stitched up the double chance and now have the luxury of resting players who are not 100%. Nicholls and Darbyshire both missed and would have played had the stakes been higher.

Having said that I am surprised Chelt are not locked in to play finals. They certainly have the talent to mix it with the better sides.

Credit to Chelt who played well but they were the beneficiary of a Sandringham bye and had some good ins, including ex AFL listed player Myke Cook and Josh Fox. Neither have qualified should they play finals. Mordy have stitched up the double chance and now have the luxury of resting players who are not 100%. Nicholls and Darbyshire both missed and would have played had the stakes been higher.

Having said that I am surprised Chelt are not locked in to play finals. They certainly have the talent to mix it with the better sides.

When the right Chelt side come to play they aren't ever easy to beat.

Just inconsistent for mine which is what they were this season.

Stakes been higher??? What about finishing on top of the ladder and getting the first week off why teams 2 & 3 belt each up

Stakes been higher??? What about finishing on top of the ladder and getting the first week off why teams 2 & 3 belt each up

You make a good point but I meant more if it was final rather than a H&A game and not risking players when it is not do or die. With Dingley playing Clayton realistically Mordy were never going to make up the % game to claim top spot.

Regarding the week off, with a top 5 it has long been my view that if you finish on top and then win the 2nd semi having just one game in a month is a huge disadvantage.

Last two seasons Dingley have been clearly the best side and it has not really mattered but this year in such a tight competition you are probably best served by a solid lead in to a GF. While you would never knock back auto entry to a 2nd semi, this year top spot could actually be an impediment.

Another reason why in my view it should only be a top 4 in a team 10 comp.

This will be a very interesting week.
OD v EM is the obvious match of the round but I still think Cheltenham is a chance, they need oaks to win by a small margin and they need to smash Colts which isnt out of the question.

This will be a very interesting week.
OD v EM is the obvious match of the round but I still think Cheltenham is a chance, they need oaks to win by a small margin and they need to smash Colts which isnt out of the question.
. I reckon Oakleigh will have East Malvern covered by about 5-6 goals. East Malvern have a few out and unless they return this week their season is done. Chelt would have to win by 20+ goals. Big ask.
On a separate note gee Clayton really are on their knees. Forfeited their Ressies on the weekend again and the side they put on the park was full of Reserve Players some almost 50 years old. They would have had less than 10 supporters there as well. 204 point margin is big enough but Dingley had 6 players resting as well.

Last edited:
. I reckon Oakleigh will have East Malvern covered by about 5-6 goals. East Malvern have a few out and unless they return this week their season is done. Chelt would have to win by 20+ goals. Big ask.
On a separate note gee Clayton really are on their knees. Forfeited their Ressies on the weekend again and the side they put on the park was full of Reserve Players some almost 50 years old. They would have had less than 10 supporters there as well. 204 point margin is big enough but Dingley had 6 players resting as well.

Not a great look for the top division of this comp. St. Kilda City 2s forfeited as well and have played short all year. Just goes to show that the model of paying overs for suburban hacks and U19s creates a culture that does nothing for the long-term viability of a club.

What will the repercussions be at Dunlop Reserve if East Malvern don't make the finals this year?
Unless they pay injured players they must come well under their expected budget for the last 2 Seasons. Their best side on the Park is a pretty decent line up, having said that to bring in those recruits and to miss finals in a pretty reasonable comp with no absolute standouts is a massive fail. Fish rots at the head. Would be surprised not to see East Malvern advertising for a new Coach in this years Finals Record.

Now that finals is set who do we all think is winning it? I'm on the Dingley train

Now that finals is set who do we all think is winning it? I'm on the Dingley train

Week 1 Bentleigh v East Malvern

Mordialloc v beat St Pauls

Week 2 Dingley v Mordialloc

St Pauls v Bentleigh

Week 3 Mordialloc v Bentleigh

Week 4 Dingley v Mordialloc

Reckon St Pauls have limped in with Dingley resting a lot last week; same with mordialloc but they appear to be going slightly better. Dingley are quite clearly the team to beat and would be about $1.25 in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Week 1 Bentleigh v East Malvern

Mordialloc v beat St Pauls

Week 2 Dingley v Mordialloc

St Pauls v Bentleigh

Week 3 Mordialloc v Bentleigh

Week 4 Dingley v Mordialloc

Reckon St Pauls have limped in with Dingley resting a lot last week; same with mordialloc but they appear to be going slightly better. Dingley are quite clearly the team to beat and would be about $1.25 in my opinion.

St Pauls had 5 of their best 22 missing on Saturday, all should be back for the first final and will only strengthen them.

Who did Dingley rest on the weekend?

Should be a ripping finals series!

St Pauls had 5 of their best 22 missing on Saturday, all should be back for the first final and will only strengthen them.

Who did Dingley rest on the weekend?

Should be a ripping finals series!
Freeman, Mckenzie, Williams, Morgan, and the best player in the comp walmesly. Should be a ripping finals series. Who was missing from the doggies

Freeman, Mckenzie, Williams, Morgan, and the best player in the comp walmesly. Should be a ripping finals series. Who was missing from the doggies

Locandro, Roberts, Ambrose, Verlin, Knox all missed on the weekend, so hopefully back in soon. Love this time of year, going to see some ripper matches I suspect!

I think he played another earlier in the year.

He certainly helped our ressies scrape in! He was available and it made sense as we want all 3 teams playing finals.
I don't think it matters how many Cathcart and Sziller played at the Dogs this Season. Both would have played more than 9 games with Sandy making them ineligible to be selected in Finals?

Kicked 5 I heard?

Yep, very handy inclusion for the magoos on the weekend.
I don't think it matters how many Cathcart and Sziller played at the Dogs this Season. Both would have played more than 9 games with Sandy making them ineligible to be selected in Finals?

I didn't realise that rule extended up to the VFL? I thought as long as they play their qualifying 6(?) then they can represent St Pauls in finals.

If the rule is 9 or more at VFL level makes them ineligible then so be it, I wasn't sure on the rules.

Think the rule for VFL listed players is the same in all metro/country comps. 5 or maybe 6 games in total with at least 2 being after 30 June. Without being bothered to check I suspect both these lads have fallen well short of that.

Yep don't disagree.

With Knox, Verlin, Ambrose, Locandro & Roberts all pushing for selection this week I think we will be fine in terms of the side we will field. Will give ourselves every chance

Back