SFNL Div 1 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No way the MPNFL clubs will have them, they only want small non threatening clubs for a third division.

No growth in the league. They should be knocking Berwick’s door down for starters. They need to expand into the outer suburbs.
Who wants to travel the globe to watch Div 1 Football, that's the beauty of SFNL Div-1 and 2 as its more localised. The problem that so many Ammo clubs are having is the travelling and then after the games no one stays around at the host clubs due to driving in peak hour traffic for an hour just to get home. As far as clubs like Berwick who needs them.

Who wants to travel the globe to watch Div 1 Football, that's the beauty of SFNL Div-1 and 2 as its more localised. The problem that so many Ammo clubs are having is the travelling and then after the games no one stays around at the host clubs due to driving in peak hour traffic for an hour just to get home. As far as clubs like Berwick who needs them.

Wouldn't have thought peak hour was a huge problem on Saturday.

Try driving from Fitzroy, or clubs Nth of the Yarra after an ammo game to get home, reckon you'd change your mind especially when AFL is on. At least with SFNL as I said, localised wins every time.

VAFA pitch is more about the competitive balance due to having so many divisions but for me the localised nature of the SFL is definitely a selling point and a distinct advantage. However not everything is a 10-minute drive. SFL now covers from Port Melbourne to Chelsea to Lyndhurst to Crib Point etc so not everything on the doorstep. If we want to get better as a comp then some extra travel may come with that.

Whispers again about Parkdale joining the SFL. They would be a great fit. Established club and would bring in an U19 team as well which SFL desperately needs more of. SFL admin needs to go hard at them.

VAFA pitch is more about the competitive balance due to having so many divisions but for me the localised nature of the SFL is definitely a selling point and a distinct advantage. However not everything is a 10-minute drive. SFL now covers from Port Melbourne to Chelsea to Lyndhurst to Crib Point etc so not everything on the doorstep. If we want to get better as a comp then some extra travel may come with that.

Whispers again about Parkdale joining the SFL. They would be a great fit. Established club and would bring in an U19 team as well which SFL desperately needs more of. SFL admin needs to go hard at them.
Scuttlebutt and innuendo regarding Parkdale. There would be a few players jumping off if that happens. But i'll admit there may be a small influence within putting together a case for it.

St Francis Old Collegians joining league, linked up with Narre South juniors (huge get, junior club in a massive area) and are going to change club name.

Could be a long-term power, big get for the league. Outer East would’ve wanted them.

what Div are they joining?

St Francis Old Collegians joining league, linked up with Narre South juniors (huge get, junior club in a massive area) and are going to change club name.

Could be a long-term power, big get for the league. Outer East would’ve wanted them.
Div 4 VAFA club that is basically made up of ex Hallam players. The school cut ties with them so they’ve found a new home with Narre south and good on them. To say they are a potential power is a big stretch in my opinion.

They won’t take players from the big fish in Narre , Beacy and Berwick. They will just spread the player pool even thinner at the other end and make life harder for Hallam, Endeavour Hills, Dandy, Lyndale etc.

Interesting decision as it goes against the AFL south east plan for the area that was published 18 months or so ago. It would be good to see these bodies work off the same gameplan for once.

Div 4 VAFA club that is basically made up of ex Hallam players. The school cut ties with them so they’ve found a new home with Narre south and good on them. To say they are a potential power is a big stretch in my opinion.

They won’t take players from the big fish in Narre , Beacy and Berwick. They will just spread the player pool even thinner at the other end and make life harder for Hallam, Endeavour Hills, Dandy, Lyndale etc.

Interesting decision as it goes against the AFL south east plan for the area that was published 18 months or so ago. It would be good to see these bodies work off the same gameplan for once.

Came from 7th Div. of the VAFA . Know bugger all about them other than the school was in Beaconsfield. Reports on VAFA board is that they have gone into recess and fielded 3rds only in recent times so hope they are a bit more stable these days. That area is clogged with really strong clubs can’t see them being a power any time soon. Another kick in the guts for SFL clubs in that area already doing it tough.

Would love the SFL to land a big fish from another comp - Parkdale, Edi-Asp, Chelsea etc.

Yeah, just really long term... with a junior club behind them and they’ve now filled really the only gap on the map in that big area.

Agree, the leagues should be working together but it doesn’t seem like it’s happening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Came from 7th Div. of the VAFA . Know bugger all about them other than the school was in Beaconsfield. Reports on VAFA board is that they have gone into recess and fielded 3rds only in recent times so hope they are a bit more stable these days. That area is clogged with really strong clubs can’t see them being a power any time soon. Another kick in the guts for SFL clubs in that area already doing it tough.

Would love the SFL to land a big fish from another comp - Parkdale, Edi-Asp, Chelsea etc.

Edi Asp, Bonbeach and Chelsea are all miles inside SFL territory... wonder in the league has had a crack

Hear that some premiership players from 2018 returning to St Pauls. Even some old dogs may return to play thirds.
Lamb to play full season with Bentleigh and another big recruit on the way before Xmas. Both will attract players to the Demons.
Any other whispers ?

Not having a crack mate. Was more the fact that in my opinion (and it is just my opinion) the comp has been improving significantly over the last 2 – 3 years. However based on what I have seen this year it has plateaued or even gone backwards and that's a shame. Also thought we were closer in standard to the top divisions of other metro comps but I was wrong there as well. Was genuinely surprised at the gap between the top 2 SFL and top 2 VAFA. Still reckon the very best players from Div.1 would not be out of place in Premier VAFA or EFL. It’s just the depth of talent that is the main difference.

I agree we cater to a specific market but other comps are looking to grow sso we have to remain vigilant and keep improving. Getting our unders comp back on track would be a good start. At the moment it is a shambles.

Ive been following your conversation on this a little bit, im relatively new to watching this league (3 years), i played briefly in EFL and mostly watched div 2 and 3. What was a really big surprise, is the lack of former AFL players in the SFNL. When i used to watch the EFL, every year there was an influx of delisted AFL players or retired AFL players.

Is it mostly a money thing? When i was playing, which is now 15 years ago, everyone had to pay to get in to the ground and most of the div 1 clubs were aligned with gaming venues. The club i watch and support in SFNL doesn't charge anything to watch games. It might be nice, but very hard to generate revenue.

Hear that some premiership players from 2018 returning to St Pauls. Even some old dogs may return to play thirds.
Lamb to play full season with Bentleigh and another big recruit on the way before Xmas. Both will attract players to the Demons.
Any other whispers ?
Wrong mail about Lamb, or are you dreaming up gossip. Part of your post is true regarding a couple of new recruits before xmas, and as far as the dogs go, they need a few as they dropped off the pace last season.
Jed Lamb will play with White Hills again in 2020 | Bendigo ...

https://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au › Sport › Local Sport

Sep 9, 2019 - Jed Lamb will return to White Hills in 2020. Picture: ADAM BOURKE. HDFNL club White Hills has re-signed star forward Jed Lamb for 2020.

Remember only "Whispers"
Lamb most likely do same as last year (play 6 home games) by the looks of things.
Passed Oakleigh Districts ground today, completely resurfaced and will look a treat when finished.

Ive been following your conversation on this a little bit, im relatively new to watching this league (3 years), i played briefly in EFL and mostly watched div 2 and 3. What was a really big surprise, is the lack of former AFL players in the SFNL. When i used to watch the EFL, every year there was an influx of delisted AFL players or retired AFL players.

Is it mostly a money thing? When i was playing, which is now 15 years ago, everyone had to pay to get in to the ground and most of the div 1 clubs were aligned with gaming venues. The club i watch and support in SFNL doesn't charge anything to watch games. It might be nice, but very hard to generate revenue.
I know Highett used to charge people an entry fee a few years ago as did Clayton, don't know if that has changed with Highett. The money Noble Park had to spend for their footy operations was a joke. Whatever they wanted or needed they got.
It may be different now, but SFL clubs cannot compete against that. That is why Balwyn and Noble Park left the SFL and went to the EFL so they could improve and play against tougher competition.

charge $5 entry it gives clubs income that they all need ,some clubs in the lower divisions are stuffed financially it’s time the league caught up with the times

It's not the league it's local council. Glen Eira Council won't let any clubs within their region charge entry to games. Being the treasurer at St Pauls for a couple of years it was very frustrating as the additional money sure would help cover the operational side of things.

charge $5 entry it gives clubs income that they all need ,some clubs in the lower divisions are stuffed financially it’s time the league caught up with the times

I agree that a small gate fee would help clubs a lot however in my time as a coach in division 2 there were really only 3 maybe 4 clubs who could charge because they had gated entrances. other clubs have virtually 360 degrees access so how do they police the gate takings when people can walk in from virtually anywhere? gate taking are a huge revenue raiser for some clubs. I know for a fact that Hampton park lose over $20k a season in gate takings that were previously earnt. that's a lot of coin for a local club.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back