SFL - Divisions next season

Remove this Banner Ad

skippy1

Debutant
Jun 12, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Does anyone know what happening next year with regards to promotion and relegation? With 29 clubs it seems logical to have 10 teams in both Division 1 and 2, and 9 in Division 3. One option would be to relegate the bottom team in Div 2 and not promote any club from Div 3.

Its a bit harsh to not promote the side that doesn't win the Granny though... The league might even pick up another Footy side by then...

Drop the bottom 3, allow the GF winner into Div 2 and bring in 2 teams from other leagues.
Inform all clubs now, just after the half way point and you shouldn't have any issues.

Does anyone know what happening next year with regards to promotion and relegation? With 29 clubs it seems logical to have 10 teams in both Division 1 and 2, and 9 in Division 3. One option would be to relegate the bottom team in Div 2 and not promote any club from Div 3.

I thought the league already covered this? two get dropped from div 2 and one goes up for this year only....

Ive spoken to a good mate who is at keysbourgh Football Club in the Casey Cardina Football League are talking to the SFL at the moment to join next year. Any ideas what division they will be in when they join?

Most likely start in second division. Just like dingly and bentleigh had too. Gives them time to rebuild, instead of going straight into divvy 1 and getting belted every week.

Most likely start in second division. Just like dingly and bentleigh had too. Gives them time to rebuild, instead of going straight into divvy 1 and getting belted every week.

Doubt keysborough will move to southern but if they do they will be a top 4 side in divison 1 easy.. they have still managed a few good wins and casey is alot better standard then sfl div 1, dingley was a different scenario.

Doubt keysborough will move to southern but if they do they will be a top 4 side in divison 1 easy.. they have still managed a few good wins and casey is alot better standard then sfl div 1, dingley was a different scenario.

the players will be deciding whether keys go to s.f.l. or stay one more year with casey at seasons end .;););););)

You have to be joking will start in div 2 if they come and will be 50/50 if they can win there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah really doubt that, i think div 2 isn't to bad but casey is a far better brand of footy and you can't compare them at all.

Keysy arent coming and i fear that they will regret their decision because they are a club with no depth, no juniors and an aging list. Rumor has it that the money is also running out.

Compare them to Pakenham, Berwick, Beaconsfield, Cranbourne etc that are enormous growth areas and have enough Colts aged players to fill 2 and in some cases 3 teams.

Dingley stayed 2 years too long and we could have folded except for some brilliant management.

Keysborough should have made the hard decision and joined the SFL. Instead, they listening to the players, who by the way arent good enough to mix it in Casey.

How about the SFL try this.
If you're a club wanting to come in and straight into Div 1, you must meet these rules.
1) Have winning form (75% of wins over the last 3 years)
2) Have a colts side

If you meet only one you go to Div 2, if you meet none you go to Div 3.

The only way you can make the SFL better is by blooding young players, colts football is the easiest way to do it and teams that have them should get some reward

How about the SFL try this.
If you're a club wanting to come in and straight into Div 1, you must meet these rules.
1) Have winning form (75% of wins over the last 3 years)
2) Have a colts side

If you meet only one you go to Div 2, if you meet none you go to Div 3.

The only way you can make the SFL better is by blooding young players, colts football is the easiest way to do it and teams that have them should get some reward

Interesting post SS. East Brighton will always struggle to have a Colts team courtesy of the Private schools. Stkilda City/St Pauls/Chelsea Heights/Dingley have Colts teams and have played a number of the kids in their seniors at various stages to give them a taste. Not coincidental that 4 of the 5 have been the bench mark for the past few seasons but Dingley have a number of good ones coming through their ranks. In Div 2 Bentleigh and Murrumbeena have colts and decent numbers on their lists. Skye has two teams which holds them in good sted for the future whilst Highett has a combined team with Hampton.There seems to be a correlation between the top clubs having colts/junior teams and the relative success.Clubs have to work harder to recruit juniors even if it means combining teams and putting away the ego's.

Interesting post SS. East Brighton will always struggle to have a Colts team courtesy of the Private schools. Stkilda City/St Pauls/Chelsea Heights/Dingley have Colts teams and have played a number of the kids in their seniors at various stages to give them a taste. Not coincidental that 4 of the 5 have been the bench mark for the past few seasons but Dingley have a number of good ones coming through their ranks. In Div 2 Bentleigh and Murrumbeena have colts and decent numbers on their lists. Skye has two teams which holds them in good sted for the future whilst Highett has a combined team with Hampton.There seems to be a correlation between the top clubs having colts/junior teams and the relative success. Clubs have to work harder to recruit juniors even if it means combining teams and putting away the ego's.

I was more meaning new clubs coming over to the SFL.
I don't mind allowing new clubs to go straight into Div 1, but only if they have great form over 5 years & colts.
missing 1, they go to Div 2 and earn the right to play in Div 1.

I know Highett & Hampton is working okish, I think from what they've said at Highett that they had almost enough to field a side, Hampton had the top up players.
It could be the way to go, it builds up the colts and at the same time means you get to know other clubs players meaning you have a better social side to the SFL which helps the clubs out off field.

Seems the most appropriate place to ask this...

Oh, and full disclosure, I am very involved in the Chelsea Heights 3's.

What I'd like to know is what are the thoughts of the clubs, mainly in Div 2 & 3, about Cerberus fielding their 1sts in the 3's comp?

We're pretty lucky at the Heights that over the last few years we've had a pretty deep talent pool to chose from, so we were able to compete with them. Highett too. Who were desperately unlucky in the Prelim against them...actually, I'd say ROBBED.

But I couldn't see it being a chunk of fun for those in the lower divvy's fielding 3's to play a 1sts team. I could see a few clubs not finding the numbers that wanted to play in the coming years, if Cerberus keep fielding a side that smashes everyone every week.

What I'd like to know is what are the thoughts of the clubs, mainly in Div 2 & 3, about Cerberus fielding their 1sts in the 3's comp?

We're pretty lucky at the Heights that over the last few years we've had a pretty deep talent pool to chose from, so we were able to compete with them. Highett too. Who were desperately unlucky in the Prelim against them...actually, I'd say ROBBED.

But I couldn't see it being a chunk of fun for those in the lower divvy's fielding 3's to play a 1sts team. I could see a few clubs not finding the numbers that wanted to play in the coming years, if Cerberus keep fielding a side that smashes everyone every week.

Fair point. It was only Cerberus first year in the Thirds, so it will be interesting what the League plans to do now as it is a litte unfair. But the League doesn't want to lose any Clubs. Maybe with the increasing numbers in the Thirds the league could have 2 Divisions in the next couple of years.

Nah, I doubt we'll end up with that many teams that we could have 2 3's Divvy's (whoa, thats confusing)

Again, I think we'll lose some if anything, if the comp ends up a forgone conclusion every year.

Totally agree with ya on this one,.. We were alo really lucky this season that our talent pool was alot deeper than previous years.. i know Cerberus won the flag in the 3's, but it'd be a kinda empty feeling knowing that ur senior team could only just compete with a 3's team.. Chelsea Heights were extremelt unlucky to not go back 2 back.. as an actual 3rd team, they deserved it more....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back