SEQAFL Division 1 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah, not atm Paddles - to go from Div 2 to the best local comp in 2 years is problematic I reckon. There isa footprint in the west with Magpies and Gravatt to a degree. Reckon Uni is a very good footy club - was rapt to see them come up this year but think there might be a couple in front of them. Saying this I would have nfi of your finances, good facilities, well organised club.

Good summary 2010 - only issue with both Roos and Hawks will be finances. The AFLQ have stated that geography will not come into their decision making and if promotion/relegation is on the cards then rather than go in feet first, get your house in order and have a crack in 2-3 yrs time. All I can say is that the committees of the 4 NEAFL clubs, despite disappointment at not being in the "best" comp, must be silently happy that their summer isn't going to be spent trying to raise incredible amounts of $$. I would imagine they would scale back a little their spend now? Would that be correct 2010?

Can't speak for all clubs but no doubt my club it has been very difficult the last few years raising the cash to compete at NEAFL level. Fact is also, all this work to play in a comp that realistically we cant win. The loss of the CDM adds to this pressure, so no doubt the spend on footy will need to be reduced.

The "silently happy" as you put in in my view relates to the fact that playing in September hopefully the GF is now more likely. And winning more games can only help getting supporters into the club and therefore $$$.

But I'm sure all relegated NEAFL clubs will be going hard over the summer to put the best team possible out there round 1 so there is still lots of work to do.

Can't speak for all clubs but no doubt my club it has been very difficult the last few years raising the cash to compete at NEAFL level. Fact is also, all this work to play in a comp that realistically we cant win. The loss of the CDM adds to this pressure, so no doubt the spend on footy will need to be reduced.

The "silently happy" as you put in in my view relates to the fact that playing in September hopefully the GF is now more likely. And winning more games can only help getting supporters into the club and therefore $$$.

But I'm sure all relegated NEAFL clubs will be going hard over the summer to put the best team possible out there round 1 so there is still lots of work to do.

Agree - winning, no matter what level of footy, brings a certain amount of satisfaction for all concerned and motivation for continuing to keep on. Hope Broadbeach make a real shot of it.

With the restructure does anyone know what format the 18's comp will take? And if they will become under 19's like the Sydney comp recently implemented? Seems to be some rumours surrounding that possibility.

Will make things difficult for clubs by putting off sorting out the U18's/19's till Dec 1.

I am suprised that AFLQ went down this massive restructure of the top level in one hit, I wonder if they considered moving the 4 NEAFL clubs into the AP Cup for two years and run it like the AFLBJ Div 1/2, with the top 6 teams playing off for Div 1, the next 6 playing for AP Cup and the last 4 starting Mad Monday in August.
Would give everyone a look at each other, allow clubs to put things in place ready for the split and could have less impact on community football in general.

Will make things difficult for clubs by putting off sorting out the U18's/19's till Dec 1.

I am suprised that AFLQ went down this massive restructure of the top level in one hit, I wonder if they considered moving the 4 NEAFL clubs into the AP Cup for two years and run it like the AFLBJ Div 1/2, with the top 6 teams playing off for Div 1, the next 6 playing for AP Cup and the last 4 starting Mad Monday in August.
Would give everyone a look at each other, allow clubs to put things in place ready for the split and could have less impact on community football in general.

I agree with under 18's. Dec 1 makes it hard for clubs to plan for next year.

Must say though if you are going to do a re-structure IMO do it all at once to disrupt once only. Also watching morningside or broady smashing a Burleigh or a Noosa isn't good for footy. Put the best equipped teams in new state league I reckon

Really hard to see what clubs will make up the new sate league Morningside, Broadbeach,Labrador, Mt Gravatt, W/Magpies and PBC are obvious choices. Will it be a 8 or 10 team comp, so thinking about all aspects of fielding a state league div1 team, financial, players, club facilties etc which teams would make the cut?

Agree - winning, no matter what level of footy, brings a certain amount of satisfaction for all concerned and motivation for continuing to keep on. Hope Broadbeach make a real shot of it.
smy and 2010,
agree with your comments. All NEAFL relegated clubs will loose some of their best players to the new Neafl clubs. On the Gold Coast, that would be to Southport... but also a number of Southports 2013 senior list will not make the cut of 35 players, thus will have to find a new home so to speak. For example lets predict some 5 to 7 of the current list are cut...they have to find a new club don't they.
Also Southports reserve grade players now have no home, thus here is another 25 players looking for a new club If a number of the players want to stay living in this area, then its a great opportunity for the Broadbeach,Labrador, Palm Beach and Surfers clubs to secure some of these players.And remember, Southports reserve grade side were runners up this year, so there are some decent players there.

MEDIA RELEASE FROM AFL QUEENSLAND
AFL Queensland today revealed a new look football structure that will ensure the continued development and growth of AFL in South East Queensland.
Following a consultative process between Allied Pickfords Cup and SEQAFL Division two and three clubs and AFL Queensland which saw clubs vote on their preferred competition structure, a Queensland Australian Football League (QAFL) state league competition will be introduced for season 2014.
As part of the North East Australian Football League (NEAFL) restructure, 2013 NEAFL Clubs Morningside, Mt Gravatt, Broadbeach and Labrador were granted automatic entry into the QAFL competition while SEQAFL clubs were required to apply for a competition license.
Clubs were assessed on the criteria of governance, facilities, brand and culture, past performances, finance and their strategic plan.
Not all Allied Pickford Cup Clubs chose to pursue the QAFL option, including Mayne, Noosa and minor premiers Springwood.
The QAFL will include ten clubs: Morningside, Mt Gravatt, Broadbeach, Labrador, University of Queensland Red Lions, Sandgate, Wilston Grange, Western Magpies, Palm Beach and Surfers Paradise.
The headline QAFL competition will be underpinned by the Queensland Football Association (QFA) which will include a Southern and Northern Competition with ten teams in each.
Sitting under the QFA will be the Queensland Amateur Football Association QAFA (A) Division with seven clubs. This competition will feature both seniors and reserves.
The final tier of adult community football competition will be the Queensland Amateur Football Association QAFA (B) Division comprising three divisions - Southern, Central and Northern. This will be a seniors only competition.
Currently twenty teams are earmarked for the QAFA (B) Division competitions, however AFL Queensland will consider further applications.
AFL Queensland CEO, Michael Conlan, said the restructure was necessitated through the growth of AFL in Queensland.
“The game has grown at a rapid pace and we need to evolve our competitions to keep in line with that growth,” said Mr Conlan.
“We are really excited by the introduction of the QAFL and we are confident that we will see new standards of competition both on and off the field.”
Mr Conlan said the most pleasing part of the whole process was the level of engagement shown by clubs in reshaping the competition.
“We have consulted with clubs every step of the way and it is they who have held the power to decide what the competition would look like,” he said.
“We committed to an open and transparent process and the result is a structure that has been decided by the clubs, for the clubs.”
“This is a big step forward for Queensland football that will underpin the growth of our game for many years to come.”
Mr Conlan said that an announcement regarding the future of the Under 18 competitions would be made in the coming weeks.

2014 SOUTH EAST QUEENSLAND FOOTBALL STRUCTURE

QAFL
Broadbeach
Labrador
Morningside
Mt Gravatt
Palm Beach
Sandgate
Surfers Paradise
University of Queensland Red Lions
Western Magpies
Wilston Grange

QFA-Southern
Alexandra Hills
Burleigh
Coolangatta
Coomera
Coorparoo
Kenmore
Robina
Springwood
Wynnum
Yeronga

(Log in to remove this ad.)

QFA-Northern

Aspley 2

Caboolture

Caloundra

Kedron

Maroochydore

Mayne

Nambour

Noosa

Pine Rivers

Redcliffe

MEDIA RELEASE FROM AFL QUEENSLAND
AFL Queensland today revealed a new look football structure that will ensure the continued development and growth of AFL in South East Queensland.
Following a consultative process between Allied Pickfords Cup and SEQAFL Division two and three clubs and AFL Queensland which saw clubs vote on their preferred competition structure, a Queensland Australian Football League (QAFL) state league competition will be introduced for season 2014.
As part of the North East Australian Football League (NEAFL) restructure, 2013 NEAFL Clubs Morningside, Mt Gravatt, Broadbeach and Labrador were granted automatic entry into the QAFL competition while SEQAFL clubs were required to apply for a competition license.
Clubs were assessed on the criteria of governance, facilities, brand and culture, past performances, finance and their strategic plan.
Not all Allied Pickford Cup Clubs chose to pursue the QAFL option, including Mayne, Noosa and minor premiers Springwood.
The QAFL will include ten clubs: Morningside, Mt Gravatt, Broadbeach, Labrador, University of Queensland Red Lions, Sandgate, Wilston Grange, Western Magpies, Palm Beach and Surfers Paradise.
The headline QAFL competition will be underpinned by the Queensland Football Association (QFA) which will include a Southern and Northern Competition with ten teams in each.
Sitting under the QFA will be the Queensland Amateur Football Association QAFA (A) Division with seven clubs. This competition will feature both seniors and reserves.
The final tier of adult community football competition will be the Queensland Amateur Football Association QAFA (B) Division comprising three divisions - Southern, Central and Northern. This will be a seniors only competition.
Currently twenty teams are earmarked for the QAFA (B) Division competitions, however AFL Queensland will consider further applications.
AFL Queensland CEO, Michael Conlan, said the restructure was necessitated through the growth of AFL in Queensland.
“The game has grown at a rapid pace and we need to evolve our competitions to keep in line with that growth,” said Mr Conlan.
“We are really excited by the introduction of the QAFL and we are confident that we will see new standards of competition both on and off the field.”
Mr Conlan said the most pleasing part of the whole process was the level of engagement shown by clubs in reshaping the competition.
“We have consulted with clubs every step of the way and it is they who have held the power to decide what the competition would look like,” he said.
“We committed to an open and transparent process and the result is a structure that has been decided by the clubs, for the clubs.”
“This is a big step forward for Queensland football that will underpin the growth of our game for many years to come.”
Mr Conlan said that an announcement regarding the future of the Under 18 competitions would be made in the coming weeks.

2014 SOUTH EAST QUEENSLAND FOOTBALL STRUCTURE

QAFL
Broadbeach
Labrador
Morningside
Mt Gravatt
Palm Beach
Sandgate
Surfers Paradise
University of Queensland Red Lions
Western Magpies
Wilston Grange

UQ and Sandgate you got to be kidding!

Very strange that UQ gets a gig in Div 1, and that highest level a Sunshine Coast kid can play in senior footy without moving to Brisbane is effectively Div 2.

AFL struggles on the Sunshine Coast, with next to no coverage in the local media. I think it is only going to get worse now.

Pretty funny that they were talking about entering a Sunshine Coast team in the NEAFL a few years ago, and now they can't even put one in Division 1.

On the flip side, there is going to be some great local rivalries return in the Northern Division. Maroochydore verse Caloundra, Nambour verse Noosa etc. Some of these go back 20 years.

Very strange that UQ gets a gig in Div 1, and that highest level a Sunshine Coast kid can play in senior footy without moving to Brisbane is effectively Div 2.

AFL struggles on the Sunshine Coast, with next to no coverage in the local media. I think it is only going to get worse now.

Pretty funny that they were talking about entering a Sunshine Coast team in the NEAFL a few years ago, and now they can't even put one in Division 1.

On the flip side, there is going to be some great local rivalries return in the Northern Division. Maroochydore verse Caloundra, Nambour verse Noosa etc. Some of these go back 20 years.

To be fair Noosa didn't apply for a license for the top league, anyway think they ruined a very good develping competiton like the AP cup was really developing into a very settled even comp. But thats life I guess have accept change once again. Looking at these new comps I can see a lot thrashings happening once again. In the northern comp I can see Noosa,Maroochy, Mayne and maybe Aspley 2 dominating the comp my apologies to the other clubs. In the top league not confident Sandgate,Surfers will be strong enough and UQ after their 1st year in the AP Cup ( which they did well) will be strong enough on the field.

What's going to happen to Springwood after a successful year? Are they going to keep their big recruits and dominate the comp? Sigh sometimes I wish they stop messing around with these comps...

To be fair Noosa didn't apply for a license for the top league, anyway think they ruined a very good develping competiton like the AP cup was really developing into a very settled even comp. But thats life I guess have accept change once again. Looking at these new comps I can see a lot thrashings happening once again. In the northern comp I can see Noosa,Maroochy, Mayne and maybe Aspley 2 dominating the comp my apologies to the other clubs. In the top league not confident Sandgate,Surfers will be strong enough and UQ after their 1st year in the AP Cup ( which they did well) will be strong enough on the field.

What's going to happen to Springwood after a successful year? Are they going to keep their big recruits and dominate the comp? Sigh sometimes I wish they stop messing around with these comps...

I wouldnt think that Sandgate, UQ and Surfers met the requirements set down by AFLQ. I think AFLQ comprimised their stance on the requirements to meet all the criteria, very dissapointing.

I wouldnt think that Sandgate, UQ and Surfers met the requirements set down by AFLQ. I think AFLQ comprimised their stance on the requirements to meet all the criteria, very dissapointing.

First time poster, good timimg I guess. I am in a bit of a state of shock to be honest, looking at the list, in particular Springwood out, UQ in, no disrespect to either of those teams, I am sure their management groups know what they are doing. Interesting to see how the U18s comp will go now, was a good comp in AP cup where the 18s, Ressies and seniors all played on the same day at the same venue (90% of the time). That may not happen now and may also mean some clubs lose some very talented kids, or continue to lose very talented kids. I was excited by the opportunity of being able to tell kids that they don't have to go to Morningside, Mt Gravatt etc as we will be playing in the same comp. Difficult to do that now. Fingers crossed it all works out for all clubs. I can see some very one sided contests next year, particularly in the top 2 divisions.

AFter an afternoon's reflection can't help but think this would be a better distribution roughly of the QFA comps:

Burleigh
Coolangatta
Coorparoo
Springwood
Robina
Maroochydore
Mayne
Noosa
Yeronga
Aspley 2

Alex Hills
Coomera
Kenmore
Wynnum
Caboolture
Calounda
Kedron
Nambour
Pine Rivers
Redcliffe

with no disrespect meant to any of the clubs in the second list, it's basically the AP Cup sides + the top 3 from div 2 + Aspley 2

just feel it's a massive gap between the former AP Cup sides and your Wynnum types who have really struggled in a lower comp this year and now need to find a way to compete with former AP Cup sides.

but then i'd have not changed this year's structure either so what do i know

AFter an afternoon's reflection can't help but think this would be a better distribution roughly of the QFA comps:

Burleigh
Coolangatta
Coorparoo
Springwood
Robina
Maroochydore
Mayne
Noosa
Yeronga
Aspley 2

Alex Hills
Coomera
Kenmore
Wynnum
Caboolture
Calounda
Kedron
Nambour
Pine Rivers
Redcliffe

with no disrespect meant to any of the clubs in the second list, it's basically the AP Cup sides + the top 3 from div 2 + Aspley 2

just feel it's a massive gap between the former AP Cup sides and your Wynnum types who have really struggled in a lower comp this year and now need to find a way to compete with former AP Cup sides.

but then i'd have not changed this year's structure either so what do i know
That looks fairer Lenny at least all the ex AP Cup teams are still together personally I might of swapped Kedron for yeronga but anyways your comps look better than what the AFLQ came up with.

I love the Mayne footy club with all my heart, so I'm actually glad they didn't go for an QAFL license I didn't think were ready for that big jump into the top league. Don't get Mayne have made great progress on and off field going into the top league may have hurt them at this stage. Who knows we keep up with the great work we may earn a promotion! On the funny side can Mayne enter a comp where there are no other Tigers in it, next year there will 3 Teams with the Tiger emblem, Mayne , Noosa and Redcliffe :D

marrochydoore mustn't have applied. because they would have been a shoe in to get in. as for mayne i had heard they were front runners to get in

Mayne didn't apply for a license. Same for noosa and Springwood!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back