SEASON 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the contrary I take my hat off to the MPNFL. They as clubs control the destiny of their league. They decide the direction as what’s best for their clubs as a collective. The Valley clubs had no say in the merger, they were told what was happening. The sheer demographics/population size of Berwick, Narre, Cranbourne will create a distinct advantage going fwd. things will end up lopsided.

Not correct Tangles, I attended numerous meetings and received correspondence regularly in relation to developments. The commission has done a pretty good job with it. Yes there have been varying opinions but generally most have accepted the new arrangements and looking forward to the challenges ahead.

It’s a great opportunity for our club to improve and mix it with the new sides. I know our club is excited by what is ahead. I stand by my comment about the MPNFL - they were scared of the potential dominance of Cranbourne.

On the contrary I take my hat off to the MPNFL. They as clubs control the destiny of their league. They decide the direction as what’s best for their clubs as a collective. The Valley clubs had no say in the merger, they were told what was happening. The sheer demographics/population size of Berwick, Narre, Cranbourne will create a distinct advantage going fwd. things will end up lopsided.

What I haven't been able to understand about all this is why the MPNFL clubs had an opportunity to vote on the issue while the YVMD clubs apparently had no say. Was there a difference in the constitutions of the two leagues? Does anybody know whether the YVMD clubs would generally have been in favour of absorbing the SE clubs or not? Was there any opposition? I gather that the people in charge of our league were very keen on expansion. It was interesting to note during the last week that the Mid Gippsland league has been allowed to reject having six Alberton clubs foisted upon them by the spectacularly inept AFL Gippsland.

What was it about the eight-club SEFNL that was unviable anyway? I'm surprised that Doveton would rather travel to Warburton and Berwick to Healesville than continue in a local competition. Personally, I think it will be interesting to see how Upwey matches up against Narre Warren and Wandin against Cranbourne. I got to see Narre play this year, and they were the most impressive and entertaining side I saw play all season. So I think it might be a bit of an uphill battle for some of our traditionally powerful clubs next year. But I suppose that won't do them any harm. Another aspect that struck me about the SEFNL game I saw was the animosity between the two sets of supporters. Took me right back to the 1980s. Some of our more genteel clubs might be in for a culture shock next year.

What I haven't been able to understand about all this is why the MPNFL clubs had an opportunity to vote on the issue while the YVMD clubs apparently had no say. Was there a difference in the constitutions of the two leagues? Does anybody know whether the YVMD clubs would generally have been in favour of absorbing the SE clubs or not? Was there any opposition? I gather that the people in charge of our league were very keen on expansion. It was interesting to note during the last week that the Mid Gippsland league has been allowed to reject having six Alberton clubs foisted upon them by the spectacularly inept AFL Gippsland.

What was it about the eight-club SEFNL that was unviable anyway? I'm surprised that Doveton would rather travel to Warburton and Berwick to Healesville than continue in a local competition. Personally, I think it will be interesting to see how Upwey matches up against Narre Warren and Wandin against Cranbourne. I got to see Narre play this year, and they were the most impressive and entertaining side I saw play all season. So I think it might be a bit of an uphill battle for some of our traditionally powerful clubs next year. But I suppose that won't do them any harm. Another aspect that struck me about the SEFNL game I saw was the animosity between the two sets of supporters. Took me right back to the 1980s. Some of our more genteel clubs might be in for a culture shock next year.

When the AFLYR Commission was voted in 4-5 years ago (14-4 in favour from memory) part of that was that clubs would forfeit their voting rights on decisions by the commission. It still staggers me that the vote was so one-sided, given that it meant that we were all thrown to the mercy of the commission in terms of decisions regarding future direction etc, but that’s how it went and here we are !

That’s not me being negative about the new competition, just explaining the inability of member clubs to do anything about it. My gut says that in general, if the clubs had the opportunity to have a say (yes or no) to this expansion, it wouldn’t have happened !

Personally, I can’t wait to get stuck into it next year, massive challenge for us all and the reality is that we all need to get better, so that’s exactly what we’ll do !

Great that you attended those meetings etc.
The fact is that the YV clubs at no stage had the opportunity to vote on the matter. Hence were not given the choice but were told.

Senior football isn’t the issue here, if you are well resourced and smart as a club you will be able to compete. The issue is going to be reserve grade and most importantly under 18 grade if they eventually merge in. The YV clubs simply cannot compete over time with the new clubs IMO in participation levels in these grades.
The other point no one has really mentioned is when the block on clubs entering the Gippsland leagues gets opened in 2/3 years most of these clubs will walk as they make no secret of the fact that they want a “highway” league.

Last edited:

Doveton is an interesting one...there surrounded by SFL clubs,but yet they decided too join AFLoutereast...i dont get it?

Doveton is an interesting one...there surrounded by SFL clubs,but yet they decided too join AFLoutereast...i dont get it?
I think they made enquires but were told no. As an earlier post said, there are some very strong rivalries and history in the SEFNL that I’m sure Doveton would have liked to continue.

I think they made enquires but were told no. As an earlier post said, there are some very strong rivalries and history in the SEFNL that I’m sure Doveton would have liked to continue.

Agree about Doveton and their proximity to other Southern FL Clubs. Once again the rivalry factor influenced their decision to join along with something we often overlook - netball.

Clubs have had netball for years and they want their players to be able to participate in the best standard possible. One great advantage from the AFL Yarra Ranges is the netball competition - it is seen as one of the strongest and best organised in the AFL Victoria system. The new clubs all looked on it very favourably.

Agree about Doveton and their proximity to other Southern FL Clubs. Once again the rivalry factor influenced their decision to join along with something we often overlook - netball.

Clubs have had netball for years and they want their players to be able to participate in the best standard possible. One great advantage from the AFL Yarra Ranges is the netball competition - it is seen as one of the strongest and best organised in the AFL Victoria system. The new clubs all looked on it very favourably.

Absolutely,
The netball factor hugely underrated, especially when it comes to player payments.
As a netball coach myself, the football club factor is incredibly attractive to relationship based players of high skill

Umpire recruitment will be forefront for the new umpire director. With 7 new clubs, there'll be about 3 extra games in each grade requiring an additional 18 umpires. My understanding is that hardly any Southern Umpires want to transition to AFLYR and I know of about 4 retirements. 2 young guys also trying out with VFL and potentially staying there. Will be interesting to see if Div 1 and Div 2 clubs have to supply own umpires for reserve grade games. You would assume the priority would be seniors, then U18's.

Any experienced players considering their bodies not holding up to the bangs and crashes in games but feel their legs still have a few years in them should get in touch about jumping to the dark side. We've had some success in past years with ex players transitioning to field umpiring and no reason that shouldn't continue.

Umpire recruitment will be forefront for the new umpire director. With 7 new clubs, there'll be about 3 extra games in each grade requiring an additional 18 umpires. My understanding is that hardly any Southern Umpires want to transition to AFLYR and I know of about 4 retirements. 2 young guys also trying out with VFL and potentially staying there. Will be interesting to see if Div 1 and Div 2 clubs have to supply own umpires for reserve grade games. You would assume the priority would be seniors, then U18's.

Any experienced players considering their bodies not holding up to the bangs and crashes in games but feel their legs still have a few years in them should get in touch about jumping to the dark side. We've had some success in past years with ex players transitioning to field umpiring and no reason that shouldn't continue.

You raise a good point mate, and given the exodus pre-2018 of umpires back to the EFL etc, it leaves us all (and in particular the new umps boss) with a big problem. Not the ideal time to be walking into that job, recruitment is difficult at the best of times. There will need to be new incentives to attract umpires, which will put more pressure on clubs (if you know what I mean)

Absolutely,
The netball factor hugely underrated, especially when it comes to player payments.
As a netball coach myself, the football club factor is incredibly attractive to relationship based players of high skill

I know this is a football forum, but I love the netball points raised here and wish to add my own.

As well as being involved with OFC, my daughter also plays with one of the small MDNA clubs based in the hills. The leagues intended expansion into junior netball, with U11, U13, U15 & the continuance of U17 netball is going to (and already is) causing pain. There's no doubt that the SE clubs joining AFLOE for next year can support junior teams in both local as well as our competition, but our Yarra Valley counterparts are in no such position. The 2018 U17 competition fielded 4 teams (I think) and there's a reason why - because girls are already affiliated with local clubs in that age group. The OFC fielded U17s in the 1st year and has struggled since, hence why we went with 2 x D Grade teams this year, not enough U17s but a surplus of open age players, it was a great idea and got all those players a game each week. The reality is we don't have remotely enough netballers to support both clubs at that age !

My own club only just manages to field 1 team in each age group, our area and pretty much all of them are in the same boat, we aren't big enough, and the response of "you'll just have to find them" simply isn't good enough. There are small netball clubs dotted throughout the Valley in the Upper Yarra & LYVNA comps, and throughout the hills in the MDNA comp, all with significant history and all under threat.

I still don't understand why our competition doesn't either just have U18s netball (or U19s if they want to stay aligned with Netball Vic age groups) and simply allow these junior clubs to continue to thrive, and then allow those girls to feed into our Senior Clubs post U17 netball, instead of competing with them, something will have to give as both comps will struggle to be supported in numbers in each town. Four Open Age teams and either U18s or U19s makes perfect sense, it allows clubs to work with each other and not against each other, and I'd suggest this would be at the top of the list for the comps new Netball Development Manager (who by the way is an absolute ripper)

I heard yesterday that Michael Fowkes was heading back to Wandin but I can’t have it! ....after reading a while back in the local rag that Park Orchards was now his home, best club he’d ever played with....it was like his extended family there Etc etc etc i’m Thinking there’s no way he’s ever leaving PO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard yesterday that Michael Fowkes was heading back to Wandin but I can’t have it! ....after reading a while back in the local rag that Park Orchards was now his home, best club he’d ever played with....it was like his extended family there Etc etc etc i’m Thinking there’s no way he’s ever leaving PO.

Fowkes is heading back to Wandin. With the new coach at Park Orchards in Armfield, the love affair with former Wandin players is over.

I know this is a football forum, but I love the netball points raised here and wish to add my own.

As well as being involved with OFC, my daughter also plays with one of the small MDNA clubs based in the hills. The leagues intended expansion into junior netball, with U11, U13, U15 & the continuance of U17 netball is going to (and already is) causing pain. There's no doubt that the SE clubs joining AFLOE for next year can support junior teams in both local as well as our competition, but our Yarra Valley counterparts are in no such position. The 2018 U17 competition fielded 4 teams (I think) and there's a reason why - because girls are already affiliated with local clubs in that age group. The OFC fielded U17s in the 1st year and has struggled since, hence why we went with 2 x D Grade teams this year, not enough U17s but a surplus of open age players, it was a great idea and got all those players a game each week. The reality is we don't have remotely enough netballers to support both clubs at that age !

My own club only just manages to field 1 team in each age group, our area and pretty much all of them are in the same boat, we aren't big enough, and the response of "you'll just have to find them" simply isn't good enough. There are small netball clubs dotted throughout the Valley in the Upper Yarra & LYVNA comps, and throughout the hills in the MDNA comp, all with significant history and all under threat.

I still don't understand why our competition doesn't either just have U18s netball (or U19s if they want to stay aligned with Netball Vic age groups) and simply allow these junior clubs to continue to thrive, and then allow those girls to feed into our Senior Clubs post U17 netball, instead of competing with them, something will have to give as both comps will struggle to be supported in numbers in each town. Four Open Age teams and either U18s or U19s makes perfect sense, it allows clubs to work with each other and not against each other, and I'd suggest this would be at the top of the list for the comps new Netball Development Manager (who by the way is an absolute ripper)

Strange timing,

My daughters team (U15s) is now looking to play Friday nights rather than train.

Very interesting rumour if true regarding who Healesville are into to coach them next year.........surely not.

Last edited:
That’s the word.

Would love to see the look on the league powers that be faces upon hearing that news.....

Heard he has had discussions with Healesville but not sure it progressed any further. He is damaged goods and with both football and netball surely wiser heads would prevail and he wouldn't be appointed.

He was appointed at Red Cliffs a few years age and due to pressure both within and outside the club, they overturned the decision. I wouldn't touch him!

Heard he has had discussions with Healesville but not sure it progressed any further. He is damaged goods and with both football and netball surely wiser heads would prevail and he wouldn't be appointed.

He was appointed at Red Cliffs a few years age and due to pressure both within and outside the club, they overturned the decision. I wouldn't touch him!

Still ongoing discussions is the mail.

Very much an option

New Senior Coach and senior assistant appointed at Upwey Tecoma FNC in David Bell and Brad Neil. Just wondering why Liam Burke is not continuing after a stellar year?

New Senior Coach and senior assistant appointed at Upwey Tecoma FNC in David Bell and Brad Neil. Just wondering why Liam Burke is not continuing after a stellar year?
Was approached by AFL Queensland to become Senior Coach at Labrador-an offer to good to refuse

Was approached by AFL Queensland to become Senior Coach at Labrador-an offer to good to refuse

Great news for him - a terrific coach and person from my observations. Bet he won't miss the wet and cold conditions associated with footy in the Yarra Ranges.

Also, on a positive note, great to see the work being done by the new Media and Comminications team member at AFL Greater East - is doing an awesome job with updates on the happenings across the new entity. The appointment of both him and the Netball Manager are placing the organisation in a good position going forward. Well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back