Season 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

ktm_306

Rookie
May 27, 2008
Koroit
AFL Club
Gold Coast
well i thought i better start it off with the season 2 weeks from starting and last minute recruiting going on?

Sam Mahoney to Panmure is a big get
Gregg will play a few games down at the vale.. to qualify for finals?
Collegians get back a former easm medal winner in troy richardson
Rovers apparently have matthew brown. very injury prone though
and apparently nirranda signed a former port fairy gun, name escapes me

Good work on kicking this one off ktm.

Decided to post in this one rather than the 2009 thread. Hopefully everyone comes to post here! :thumbsu:

Not as much chatter as this time last year, where are all the regulars? I really enjoyed the thread from last year as I don't get to see as much WDNFL footy as I'd like.

I can't really talk though as my only contribution last year was a few posts before the season had started ranting about Power being certainties to win the flag, being called cocksure in the process (not denying that ;)). :)
So it was no surprise they took it out last year.

As for this year, I'm not quite so confident of the Power's chances, even after the big win against Timboon. I didn't actually see the game or any other round 1 matches, but hopefully will get to the Power v Panmure game tomorrow.

Few big losses for Power in the off season, Boydle was really key for them down back. As tommagpie said they are a bit short down back this year and could be tested against teams with big forwards and the means to get it into them quickly.

And I am not writing off Timboon just yet, can't agree with tommagpie on that one. Obviously a poor effort in round 1 but they will take some time to get going and should be up there come finals time again.

Well i'll follow suit and post here too. The weekends results may have proved that the Power are human and even though Timboon are back on the winners list against an East side that from what i hear had more than 1 play reserves and seniors they should have won by more... Panmure better than most had assumed it seems fair to say and Rovers win over Merrivale shows they will be strong too and will push hard into th 5. by all reports the other games were cut and dried but i think we are in for a much more even season of football.
Sadly east wont win a game for the year unless they bribe the social commitee at Deakin or the Loft to put on 24 hours of free booze the friday before they play Deakin and deakin will be lucky to beat anyone other than east...

Well i'll follow suit and post here too. The weekends results may have proved that the Power are human and even though Timboon are back on the winners list against an East side that from what i hear had more than 1 play reserves and seniors they should have won by more... Panmure better than most had assumed it seems fair to say and Rovers win over Merrivale shows they will be strong too and will push hard into th 5. by all reports the other games were cut and dried but i think we are in for a much more even season of football.
Sadly east wont win a game for the year unless they bribe the social commitee at Deakin or the Loft to put on 24 hours of free booze the friday before they play Deakin and deakin will be lucky to beat anyone other than east...

big call about deakin not beating anybody but east....almost certain they will beat nirranda and will push other sides just like last year...on occasion...they just need to learn how to win and they will be right

well its all very quiet on here lol.... well i said i'd be surprised if deakin beats anyone else didnt say they wont... but we'll see. and from what i hear nirranda may as well close up shop, seems no-one out there cares much at present. Creek sneaking home against the lower sides doesnt look good but they have potential to upset a few.

Any to the week ahead... Kolora to belt allansford by 90 points, Rovers to do the same to Deakin by about 60, Dennington by 120 over Nirranda, Collegians by 35 over Deakin, Merrivale by 26 over Creek and in the tough one Panmure and Timboon will be under a goal and a flip of the coin but i'll go with Panmure left shattered again by under a goal

andbody here get to the deakin/rovers game by any chance? they must be fairly improved this season i reckon rovers are top 3

andbody here get to the deakin/rovers game by any chance? they must be fairly improved this season i reckon rovers are top 3

to steal a line from "the castle" - you're dreaming. so u reckon rovers will be top 3? that means they're gonna have to be above either panmure or timboon (with noorat and dennington being your 1 & 2 in no particular order). rovers will be fortunate to get in the 5.

to steal a line from "the castle" - you're dreaming. so u reckon rovers will be top 3? that means they're gonna have to be above either panmure or timboon (with noorat and dennington being your 1 & 2 in no particular order). rovers will be fortunate to get in the 5.
the league is not that strong if timboon end up in the top three..they r an ordinary side at best. will make the top 5 but will be knocked out straight away. hopefully creek are a good side latter in the yr so there is a tiny bit of pressure on power and dennington to make the granny..power have a s**t load out today. they may get beat by deakin also. but will only be a one off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

timboon wont make the 5 i dont think just by going what ive seen in no order it will dennington, kolora, creek, rovers and panmure i cant see the demons managing to get past them

I have been waiting 4 somebody to lay it on the line this year. I have seen Kolora a couple of times and they have a few super stars just crusing!!! Can't wait for Power v Denn clash. Power may get a wake up call. Fraser nowhere near his best. Absolutely pathetic draw when all of the top teams playing one another so late in season. Russels Creek will make finals due to their draw and hopefully they may be the thrid side to add some interest. Rovers - must play to their best to be anywhere near top two, and Timboon need their best team on the park to have any hope of making finals. Go the Sharks - comp needs them to be better. Watched the Blues v Demons game last weekend and it was nothing short of a shocka. Sholly and Wiggo will make a huge difference, but they may miss too many games to have an imnpact. What has happened to Wagstaff???
Panmure my smoky!!!!!!!!
Surely this may spark some discussion for this site????????????????

Looks like Power didn't have to wait til the Dennington game to get a wakeup call.

Agree, they have seemed to be cruising a bit, Madden is still playing at a high level and would be getting votes again.
They have had players in and out of the side a lot though, coach Kenna only played 3 games and he is really vital to the defence and setting up forward moves, along with new recruit Corrigan only playing 4 games.
Fraser not at his best and missed the last game injured along with a handful of others.

I don't know who is back in the team this week but they will need Fraser and a few others back, and need to play decent to get the win.

Dennington could get 2 games plus % clear on top if they win and Power lose.
They have to be favourites at this time.

Wasn't Wagstaff going to be out a couple of months injured, or has something changed?

Interesting result on Saturday if Creek are 2nd or 3rd best being betten by 92 points.

Also note the large amount of goals kicked by Rovers against Kolora

Allansford could push for fifth dependant on their draw and being able to knock off a side or 2 in the 5

I think we are all waiting on the Dennington Kolora clash in round 12 the only meeting for the year.

The one thing that has improved in the Dennington side is their back line. Last year they had big scores kicked against them but out gunned most sides with goal kicking power. They still have this but have only conceded an average of 52 points per game this year.

We will see where Timboon is at this week playing Dennington.

The smokey is Panmure

My end of season ladder
Dennington Kolora Panmure Rovers Creek

Yes, very interesting result. Not surprising though, Dennington are really flying.

Power were lucky to get the win. Fraser was back, Madden missed though.

I wasn't ready to write off Timboon earlier in the year, just about ready to now though. If they get within 10 goals of Dennington I will be surprised.

Hoping Power can get their best team together by the time they play Dennington.

Your final 5 looks about right to me, although Creek could finish higher, especially if they get the win against Power this week.

dennington need injuries to strike to give other sides any hope. panmure are showing they are the real deal with 8 wins on the trot and a good one over rovers - apparently without tim condon and sam heffernan. i think kolora will get it together at the right end of the season and pump some middle range sides

Looking forward to the big match tomorrow. I'll be there to get my first look at Dennington.

I will be tipping Dennington to win by a decent margin. I am not confident Power can challenge them wihout being at full strength, which they are not.

Anyway, hope it is a good contest. :)

What does everyone else think?

So now that the five has essentially been locked in (providing no upsets with Old Collegians V Nirranda this weekend).
If the ladder stays as is - What are everyone's tips for how the finals series will play out??
I have Kolora to beat Panmure in a close one week 1 and Old Collegians in an upset against Russell's Creek.

Any thoughts?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back