Competitions SBBFL Off-Season Thread 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

4 Things to make sure you're all onside with or aware of:

1st: 11.59PM 6 March 2019 AEST is the first waiver wire bid cut off - that's tomorrow so please get your bids in on Ultimate Footy

I'm worried that Smokies hasn't been online since Saturday and there's no evidence of his having looked at any recent posts - if anyone has a means of contacting him can they do so?

2nd: Please cry foul if you're not happy with the waiver order not continuing from the off season signing period - assuming ok with that in principle it is:

Death
Major
Orazio
Phoenix
Cursing
Pet
Left
Jonzi
Smokies
Simonoz

3rd: I have changed the league fixtures so that there is just a single fixture across the byes and everyone plays each other twice, this is with the idea that we name a larger than normal squad for week 12 that covers the 3 bye weeks and a single fixture (each player playing twice across the 3 weeks) which was raised in the off season and i think there was (eventually) no dissent about...

4th: Assuming we're keen to have a classic supercoach league for additional rivalry - please join league: 736392

I'm running with all of these unless you guys say different so please let me know if you have issues.

Cheers

simonoz CursingFijian TheSmokies St Kilda Death Orasia Fantazio Phoenix_9 Left_Billings Jonzi PetWussy

Yep happy with all - never read the off season FA rules so that’s my fault for wasting my pick on a spud !! If I’d known I wouldn’t have done it - but that’s on me.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
You obviously haven't seen some of the 'quality' I have on my list to call him a spud....

For all I'm trying to make sure everyone is across it and has the opportunity to lodge bids, looking at the available players list, there's nobody who is going to be a permanent fixture in any ones 1st 22 I don't think - I'm just hoping to move on my spuds for slightly less spud-like players or spuds in different positions that I have no cover for.

You obviously haven't seen some of the 'quality' I have on my list to call him a spud....

For all I'm trying to make sure everyone is across it and has the opportunity to lodge bids, looking at the available players list, there's nobody who is going to be a permanent fixture in any ones 1st 22 I don't think - I'm just hoping to move on my spuds for slightly less spud-like players or spuds in different positions that I have no cover for.

Hahahahaha that’s a lot of potatoes !!!

Right - more dumb questions cos I’m kinda dumb!

Waivers went thru and now back to RFAs until after JLT2.........I am assuming that the regular season is 3 days of RFAs and 1 day of FAs correct?

Secondly the new order of waivers.......

With multiple picks just now, I can see why skid, Olma and canon are ranked behind me in the 8,9&10 spots. But puzzles and smokies picked before me this time, yet are still ranked 5&6 in front of me at 7 now.....why is that? 1-4 is self explanatory as these teams made no picks.

Thanks in advance !!!!

Hahahahaha that’s a lot of potatoes !!!

Right - more dumb questions cos I’m kinda dumb!

Waivers went thru and now back to RFAs until after JLT2.........I am assuming that the regular season is 3 days of RFAs and 1 day of FAs correct?

Secondly the new order of waivers.......

With multiple picks just now, I can see why skid, Olma and canon are ranked behind me in the 8,9&10 spots. But puzzles and smokies picked before me this time, yet are still ranked 5&6 in front of me at 7 now.....why is that? 1-4 is self explanatory as these teams made no picks.

Thanks in advance !!!!

Haven’t looked myself but going off your explaination, if Myself(Puzzles) and Smokies picked before you then at the time we would have went to position 9&10, when you then picked someone then you would have taken up position 10 and Myself and Smokies would have went to 8&9 and then the other 3 teams also rotated under us to make myself, Smokies and you picks 5,6 & 7

However TheSmokies i just had to reverse your selection of Oleg Markov as you dropped Connor McFayden and he was one of your selected players in the National draft and he’s required to spend a year on your list before delisting. What that does to the waiver order i’m not sure.

Haven’t looked myself but going off your explaination, if Myself(Puzzles) and Smokies picked before you then at the time we would have went to position 9&10, when you then picked someone then you would have taken up position 10 and Myself and Smokies would have went to 8&9 and then the other 3 teams also rotated under us to make myself, Smokies and you picks 5,6 & 7

That makes complete sense - appreciate it as I had no clue !!!

I liked it better when we had the waivers on the forum and we were able to trump each other.
Sitting here holding the #1 priority with blind waivers is not as much fun.

However it is what it is.
Which is why I didn't burn it yesterday.
Although some players I wouldn't have minded.
Tucker, looked good nice one cursing.
Clarke if he gets a game could be a good one. Cousins too.
Ben long I had my eye on for depth. Won't score much but exciting Saint to watch.

majortinkle what's the deal now though?
I thought it was back to unrestricted FA now? Couple of depth players I would still like a stab at, without burning my waiver priority.
But it's still restricted?

However TheSmokies i just had to reverse your selection of Oleg Markov as you dropped Connor McFayden and he was one of your selected players in the National draft and he’s required to spend a year on your list before delisting. What that does to the waiver order i’m not sure.
He's got Duursma, Caldwell and Rozee though - that's his 3 required isn't it?

I liked it better when we had the waivers on the forum and we were able to trump each other.

Ben long I had my eye on for depth. Won't score much but exciting Saint to watch.

I thought it was back to unrestricted FA now? Couple of depth players I would still like a stab at, without burning my waiver priority.
Good get with Balta, I put in a claim for him too and I'm sure we weren't the only ones

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's got Duursma, Caldwell and Rozee though - that's his 3 required isn't it?
  • A minimum of 3 selections must be taken in the National Draft. All National Draft Selections are on a 1 year contract and cannot be traded or delisted during that year.

While i didn’t define it in the rules i see where your coming from considering some coaches might have taken only 3 selections while some might have taken 5 that would have to remain on there list for a year, do we want to make it minimum of 3 National Draft selections are required to stay on a list for a year of Keep it as all selections

Good get with Balta, I put in a claim for him too and I'm sure we weren't the only ones
Yep another good pick up.
Looks like he will be a player in the long run.
Once again though I wasn't about to burn my first priority.
Maybe I'm overvaluing it... Might be holding onto it all year while the rest of you chop and change and end up with all the good kids haha

• A minimum of 3 selections must be taken in the National Draft. All National Draft Selections are on a 1 year contract and cannot be traded or delisted during that year.

While i didn’t define it in the rules i see where your coming from considering some coaches might have taken only 3 selections while some might have taken 5 that would have to remain on there list for a year, do we want to make it minimum of 3 National Draft selections are required to stay on a list for a year of Keep it as all selections
I think it should’ve the 3 minimum - the rule was there so that people didn’t try to get better depth and ignore the draft. I don’t think they should be penalised for going to the draft more than the minimum 3

Did you go through the draft to work out who was drafted in which draft then? I presume you did and cursings mclennan pick was in the supplemental draft despite being eligible for the rookie one.

Think it’s all a bit too hard - although the site has a can’t cut list option - maybe we ask teams to nominate 3 rookies for that and that way we don’t have to keep track of it?

I think it should’ve the 3 minimum - the rule was there so that people didn’t try to get better depth and ignore the draft. I don’t think they should be penalised for going to the draft more than the minimum 3

Did you go through the draft to work out who was drafted in which draft then? I presume you did and cursings mclennan pick was in the supplemental draft despite being eligible for the rookie one.

Think it’s all a bit too hard - although the site has a can’t cut list option - maybe we ask teams to nominate 3 rookies for that and that way we don’t have to keep track of it?
Mclennan not picked in ND so eligible to be cut, i was just going off the ruling of No ND picks to be cut before 1 season but keeping 3 seems fair and if there’s a No Cut option that simplifies it a bit

I used the principle that free agency only applies when people have the same info as the last waivers slot. No 1st in best dressed...

As performance and selection for jlt2 will be from today I flagged the first free agency slot as being the 1st Friday of the season.

On using uf - it’s easier to manage and it means you can’t take the lazy approach of waiting for others to make a decision on a player and then move (which was completely what I used to do). Also impacts the post selection pickups. I need a particular position for a week and pick one on Thursday night - not only burns my waiver slot but if I get trumped on Friday I have no way of getting someone in my lineup for the week and end up with a donut

I’m a vote for uf but I do agree it reduces the banter which is a shame

I used the principle that free agency only applies when people have the same info as the last waivers slot. No 1st in best dressed...

As performance and selection for jlt2 will be from today I flagged the first free agency slot as being the 1st Friday of the season.

On using uf - it’s easier to manage and it means you can’t take the lazy approach of waiting for others to make a decision on a player and then move (which was completely what I used to do). Also impacts the post selection pickups. I need a particular position for a week and pick one on Thursday night - not only burns my waiver slot but if I get trumped on Friday I have no way of getting someone in my lineup for the week and end up with a donut

I’m a vote for uf but I do agree it reduces the banter which is a shame
So are you saying, if I wanted a player.
I need to use my waiver priority to claim (even though this may be a player who nobody else is interested in). Or, wait until round 1 is already commenced, and won't be able to use the player until round 2?

So are you saying, if I wanted a player.
I need to use my waiver priority to claim (even though this may be a player who nobody else is interested in). Or, wait until round 1 is already commenced, and won't be able to use the player until round 2?
Unless they play on the Thursday night you'd still be able to play them week 1, but otherwise yes that's what I flagged previously.

Just for everyones attention UF can only limit squad changes weekly on either Start of week or start of Saturday games basis - start of week won't work for us so effectively you can take advantage of a Friday night breakout game and sign someone as a FA on Friday night/Saturday morning if you get in first.

There's an argument to say that the equivalent FA period to week 1 is today prior to team announcements, but UF can't help us in containing it and the guys who used their RFA position last night could argue they would have wanted to use FAs today if they'd known so I'd personally be reluctant to change that after the fact.

I say personally reluctant as I'm very conscious that I don't make the rules and have been grumpy about things being brought in without some signup from the group previously. Having tried to get that consultation going on this occasion beforehand I'd like to stick to it though - happy to take some flak if I didn't explain it well enough.

Completely my fault but I've had a blue here. I had no idea that Ridley wasn't classed as a KD?? Not sure how or why.

I've dropped Ben McKay and now Marcus Adams is injured.

The wheels are falling off nice and early this year

Unless they play on the Thursday night you'd still be able to play them week 1, but otherwise yes that's what I flagged previously.

Just for everyones attention UF can only limit squad changes weekly on either Start of week or start of Saturday games basis - start of week won't work for us so effectively you can take advantage of a Friday night breakout game and sign someone as a FA on Friday night/Saturday morning if you get in first.

There's an argument to say that the equivalent FA period to week 1 is today prior to team announcements, but UF can't help us in containing it and the guys who used their RFA position last night could argue they would have wanted to use FAs today if they'd known so I'd personally be reluctant to change that after the fact.

I say personally reluctant as I'm very conscious that I don't make the rules and have been grumpy about things being brought in without some signup from the group previously. Having tried to get that consultation going on this occasion beforehand I'd like to stick to it though - happy to take some flak if I didn't explain it well enough.
On the Friday/sat situation, wouldn't anyone who played Friday then be locked out for the round?

Overall then may as well scrap UNrestricted FA. Becomes pointless.
Well I won't be holding off now anyway.
Go net myself a few duds that might get a game.

On the Friday/sat situation, wouldn't anyone who played Friday then be locked out for the round?

Overall then may as well scrap UNrestricted FA. Becomes pointless.
Well I won't be holding off now anyway.
Go net myself a few duds that might get a game.
Well you'll have all of Friday to select them pre-Friday night, but if some unknown tonnes up in the Friday night game you could sign them although yes they wouldn't make your lineup for that week - it would unfortunately be a 1st in best dressed situation - can't eliminate it completely .

Unrestricted FA will still be required if you either didn't get a waivers bid in or failed with the bid and need to (or want to) change your squad for that week.

So potentially the situation would be you need positional cover for a week after your guys aren't selected.

If you didn't get a bid in on Thursday night or lost the bid because of your waivers position then without the FA period you would have to go in a man down. However through the wonders of our process you will have all of Friday to chop and change to your heart's content.

Also if you are happy to take the risk that other managers won't want the guys you are after and bid via waivers and you have top spot on the list and think someone better will pop up at some point you can also wait until Friday each week and pick up players without impacting your waiver position.

I genuinely think it's the best of both worlds - value of top pick - not sure, I've overvalued it before myself (pretty sure I've ended the season in top spot the last two years) - there isn't rich pickings on the available players list

I used my slots to get positional cover for guys I have so worth more to me than others - Balta for Roo (and Nank in a way as 1 ruck will be on my bench), Clarke for Bellchambers, Cole a warm but uninspiring body on the back line to replace an injured zero gamer and a speculative punt on Long due to rumours of him playing through midfield a bit for a guy who I picked in the hope he wouldn't be mid-only and was wrong

I wanted Cousins as well but waivers said no....I kind of figured it was either/or out of Balta and Cousins after JLT1 and I'm perilously light at Key Forward so no choice for me really...

Completely my fault but I've had a blue here. I had no idea that Ridley wasn't classed as a KD?? Not sure how or why.

I've dropped Ben McKay and now Marcus Adams is injured.

The wheels are falling off nice and early this year
Marcus Adams is always injured....

The best players on the available list look to be the ones teams got rid of

I do wonder if we should allow teams to change their delisted player following a successful waivers bid - I went for 5 players last night and so had to select 5 different players to delist. I've been left with a guy who probably should have been first gone where there's a couple of speculative guys I let go who could have a good JLT2 and be back on my want list.

At the moment delisted players from other teams won't immediately go into FA - they'd be available for waivers the following week instead. It would give plenty of time for teams to flag the change to delisting and we could manually change via UF - what do people think?

Mclennan not picked in ND so eligible to be cut, i was just going off the ruling of No ND picks to be cut before 1 season but keeping 3 seems fair and if there’s a No Cut option that simplifies it a bit
Unfortunately UFs Can't Cut List isn't editable as far as I can see and is a list of the 'best' players in the league to try and prevent teams at the bottom trading their best players and impacting the leagues competitiveness....a bit bizarre to be honest, but bottom line is it won't work for us.

I think 3 rookies is all that should be required and smokies should be allowed to pick up whoever they did last night. It's marginally easier to make sure you have 3 1st year players on your list than remember which ones you selected in the 1st 3 rounds of the draft I reckon. I only took 3 so same for me either way. What do people think?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back