Coach Sam Mitchell on his players staging for free kicks

Remove this Banner Ad

Let me get this right.

Hawthorn's forwards flopped enough they weren't even paid the couple of frees that were actually there so Geelong got the rub and had a nice win on Easter Monday.

Now despite his own coach saying he didn't deserve the frees the AFL have decided Ginnivan will be paid free kicks again so Collingwood's going to cop it royally.

And you think I, a Geelong fan, am mad about this? This whole thing is beautiful!
And to add - Hawks won the free kick count despite this suggestion of a deep state conspiracy established to deny hawthorn players free kicks

I mean really.

Let me get this right.

Hawthorn's forwards flopped enough they weren't even paid the couple of frees that were actually there so Geelong got the rub and had a nice win on Easter Monday.

Now despite his own coach saying he didn't deserve the frees the AFL have decided Ginnivan will be paid free kicks again so Collingwood's going to cop it royally.

And you think I, a Geelong fan, am mad about this? This whole thing is beautiful!
You definitely mad.

Hawks won the free kick count despite this suggestion of a deep state conspiracy established to deny hawthorn players free kicks

I mean really.
The Hawks received about 8 consecutive free kicks early in the 2nd quarter, deep in defence when the game had become a virtual stalemate with 30 players packed in Geelong's half of the ground. Literally nothing resulted from any of those frees. The Hawks would try to find an opening, someone would eventually go long - the Cats would would get it, go back inside fifty and one of your forwards would give away another free kick [rinse and repeat x 7]

By contrast, I reckon 7 of Geelong's 14 goals to 3/4 time were indirectly or directly the result of iffy free kicks (or an obvious missed free to Hawthorn.) Not that I'm whinging about it. I just think it was the perfect example of why free kick counts don't always tell the full story.

Of course, Geelong were the deserved winners. No argument from me. Nevertheless, the umps gave Hawthorn zero favours and looked after Geelong on more than a few occasions (and the Cats were good enough to take full advantage and make the Hawks pay.)

FWIW, I don't think it's a conspiracy against Hawthorn. It's just typical of every sport around the world that struggling teams get no favours from refs & umps and the good teams with higher profile players tend to get the rub of the green.

It's hardly a "deep state conspiracy" when the AFL General Manager puts her hand up after the game and says "Sorry Hawthorn, the umpires got it wrong. They missed a few free kicks to Jack Ginnivan in front of goal."

When does the AFL ever concede the umps got it wrong? I can't even remember...

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back