Salary Cap

Remove this Banner Ad

Hillite

Team Captain
Mar 25, 2006
Mildura
AFL Club
St Kilda
Is there a salary cap in operation in the GVL if so does it work, what are the limits?
Is there any control in any way shape or form over how and who clubs can recruit.

Is there a salary cap in operation in the GVL if so does it work, what are the limits?
Is there any control in any way shape or form over how and who clubs can recruit.

No salary cap in place for the GV, has been talked about previously but nothing done. There was talk of introducing a points system for teams rather than salary cap with each player given a point score based on the level of football they had played, eg. ex AFL high points, club player low points

Clubs would then only able to have a a team worth x points on the field in any one game

Seems as though there is some huge $$$$$ being thrown around for next year. Some big inclusions to the league and I'm sure they don't play for a pie and Coke...........

No salary cap in place for the GV, has been talked about previously but nothing done.

Pretty sure there used to be a salary cap in the GVFL until a few years ago.

Was pretty pointless as it was unenforceable and no doubt people would have been signing stat dec's that were probably not quite right.

Some others may be able to add to this.

The amount of money assumably being paid is interesting and ruining country footy if not done and handled by capable people.
There is a huge amount of people being paid at minor league level who haven't and never will play major league footy getting $ 200 -300, which in turn drives the value of major league players of all levels up.
I'd like to see zoning, where a zone would have 4 x minor league clubs, 2 x 2nd Div clubs and 1 x 1st div club in each zone.
With player payments based on which standard they pay at.
ie minimum payments $ 500 a div 1 game, $ 200 a div 2 game and $00000 a minor league game.

The amount of money assumably being paid is interesting and ruining country footy if not done and handled by capable people.
There is a huge amount of people being paid at minor league level who haven't and never will play major league footy getting $ 200 -300, which in turn drives the value of major league players of all levels up.
I'd like to see zoning, where a zone would have 4 x minor league clubs, 2 x 2nd Div clubs and 1 x 1st div club in each zone.
With player payments based on which standard they play at.
ie minimum payments $ 500 a div 1 game, $ 200 a div 2 game and $00000 a minor league game.

PTF-this has merit! We have clubs offering players out of thirds up to $300 a game:eek:

There is a huge amount of people being paid at minor league level who haven't and never will play major league footy getting $ 200 -300, which in turn drives the value of major league players of all levels up. I'd like to see zoning, where a zone would have 4 x minor league clubs, 2 x 2nd Div clubs and 1 x 1st div club in each zone.
With player payments based on which standard they play at.

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

The last time the points system was spoken about was the year Seymour beat Swans in the GF. The news ran an article on the Swans team and they were over quota.

It is based on th YVMDFL model where:

A 'local' player gets 1 point, this can be:
- A player who has played 3rds at your club.

A 'standard recruit' gets 2 points, this can be:
- A player from any other VCFL team
- A VAFA or Metro footballer

A 'state' player get 3 points, this can be:
- A TAC Cup player (not from your 3rds)
- A VFL player (not from your 3rds)

An 'AFL recruit' gets 4 points, obviously:
- An AFL player who did not come from your club.

------
Points reduce by one point for each year. For example Adem Yze will be worth 3 points this year, if he plays for Swans in 2011 worth 2, and in 2012 he will be worth one.

Any player swapping teams in the VCFL is automatically worth 2 points, Michael Roberts will be worth2 points at Mooroopna this season, whilst would have been worth one at Tongala as he had been there for more than 2 years.

Teams had to stay under quota.

With player payments based on which standard they pay at.

What do you call minor league level?

Once you are outside the almighty AFL, wouldn't you then become a minor league level footballer?

What do you call minor league level?

Once you are outside the almighty AFL, wouldn't you then become a minor league level footballer?
You beat me to it Sparra, I'm sure the VFL probably think the same about 'minor leagues' such as the GV and O & M driving the prices of players up that couldn't even be considered senior footballers (at VFL level), it's all subjective to what you perceive as major and minor leagues.

To label district football leagues as the cause of these football mercenaries reeks of arrogance, they're no less entitled to pursue a flag than GVFL clubs. If that means paying players that couldn't break into their senior GV side, for one reason or another, so be it. They may be the perfect fit for a district club that are lacking that one key forward, who, because he was just a little too slow/small/one-dimensional for GV footy, could never hold down a senior spot...

The last time the points system was spoken about was the year Seymour beat Swans in the GF. The news ran an article on the Swans team and they were over quota.

It is based on th YVMDFL model where:

A 'local' player gets 1 point, this can be:
- A player who has played 3rds at your club.

A 'standard recruit' gets 2 points, this can be:
- A player from any other VCFL team
- A VAFA or Metro footballer

A 'state' player get 3 points, this can be:
- A TAC Cup player (not from your 3rds)
- A VFL player (not from your 3rds)

An 'AFL recruit' gets 4 points, obviously:
- An AFL player who did not come from your club.

------
Points reduce by one point for each year. For example Adem Yze will be worth 3 points this year, if he plays for Swans in 2011 worth 2, and in 2012 he will be worth one.

Any player swapping teams in the VCFL is automatically worth 2 points, Michael Roberts will be worth2 points at Mooroopna this season, whilst would have been worth one at Tongala as he had been there for more than 2 years.

Teams had to stay under quota.

This is the system still used by the YVMDFL and I think it's a pretty fair one. The points cap is 32 points per a whole side. It doens't effect us at all (Thornton - Eildon) but apparently a couple of the top Divvy 1 sides were around 30 every week. Good system as it rewards loyalty so if you come to a club as a 2 or 3 point player if you stay 2 years you become a 1 point player thus giving the club more room to get new recruits. Worked particularly well for Silvan when they had Moorcroft, Haynes, Bulleen and Henneman running around for them. For example a side may have say 16 locals, 4 new recruits from other clubs and 2 ex vfl/afl players - in the first year the points tally would be 32 which is the max - in the 2nd year that same side would be 26 points. Works well IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You beat me to it Sparra, I'm sure the VFL probably think the same about 'minor leagues' such as the GV and O & M driving the prices of players up that couldn't even be considered senior footballers (at VFL level), it's all subjective to what you perceive as major and minor leagues.

To label district football leagues as the cause of these football mercenaries reeks of arrogance, they're no less entitled to pursue a flag than GVFL clubs. If that means paying players that couldn't break into their senior GV side, for one reason or another, so be it. They may be the perfect fit for a district club that are lacking that one key forward, who, because he was just a little too slow/small/one-dimensional for GV footy, could never hold down a senior spot...
At no stage was I labelling " district football leagues as the cause of these football mercenaries ".
But your right there are some who are not " that one key forward, who, because he was just a little too slow/small/one-dimensional for GV footy, could never hold down a senior spot " who are being well paid at district level.
My concern is the player, or as you put it the mecenary, who as I said in the intial post are never going to, or never have played senior major league footy and prey on unfortunate minor / district league clubs.
I'm happy to read your solution !!!

I'm not going to pretend that I have a solution to the problem, as I don't think there is one, after all, football is competitive. Even if you were to put in place restrictions on smaller clubs, they would find ways around it, that's just the way the world works.

I don't really consider district-level clubs picking up fringe major league players as being exploited though...

There are numerous leagues using a points system. I can't see how you could get around such a system. Such systems certainly do encourage clubs to foster local talent and limit the possibility of buying a flag. In the Sunraysia Football league most clubs are only utilizing about half of their points allocation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back