News SaintsW General Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Matin and G train gone makes me think fitness is being prioritised.
Matin was legit our best forward for craft.
Shame to see her go.

The games definitely evolved past the likes of G train though, but she was a shining light early days for us.

Genuinely excited at getting Wardlaw.

Understand getting the Collingwood girls but wonder if it’s the right move getting a couple of years out of lambert at the expense of White?
Not saying she will ever be as good as lambert but might improve her consistency yet still young.

Matin and G train gone makes me think fitness is being prioritised.
Matin was legit our best forward for craft.
Shame to see her go.

The games definitely evolved past the likes of G train though, but she was a shining light early days for us.

Genuinely excited at getting Wardlaw.

Understand getting the Collingwood girls but wonder if it’s the right move getting a couple of years out of lambert at the expense of White?
Not saying she will ever be as good as lambert but might improve her consistency yet still young.

Yeah I reckon Matin would be top 5 in the league for forward craft. I've plucked that number from thin air but it feels right haha. Problem was we couldn't get it to her to use her strengths. She's not the athletic type, and having four less on the field means more holes to cover. Would smash it for the Southern Saints.

In other news, Leah Cutting has signed for the Bombers. Great she's getting another crack.

It sounds like White was gone, one way or another. Regardless, though, it's really important to bring in an elite midfielder to lead that group. There's a flow-on effect, as Patrikios is now a lot less likely to get tagged. There's a bit less pressure on the young mids in general.

Ideally, it would have been a player a bit younger than Lambert. There are plenty of elite players in this league playing well into their thirties, however. It may be that Lambert needs to play more forward as time progresses, but that might be suitable as players like Patrikios and Smith mature.

I'd prefer to have kept White if it was possible, but if that's what it took to get the deal done, then I think it's worth it. Watson does a decent job of replacing White.

I may have been selling Watson short as well. I went and had a look and she actually averaged the same number of groundball gets as White this past season. You'd expect White's to be higher as well, given the amount of time she spent in the centre.

Wardlaw's a great player now and also a long-term player, so has that over Lambert as the biggest trade the club has pulled off in the women's. My only concern is whether she can be as effective without a couple of League B+Fs getting the ball to her. It's definitely the most exciting off-season the team has had, though.
Tyanna Smith and Grace Kelly will be like new recruits also, plus the development of J’Naomi Anderson.
Great to see the club being aggressive in shaking up the list..gotta feeling the men may do similar!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

St Kilda has confirmed its travelling squad for Friday's AFLW practice match against Port Adelaide at Alberton. Saints fans can watch live from home on the Saints website or the Saints app, with the first bounce at 7.40pm AEST.

Nightmare start against Port. 4.2.26 to 0.1.1 at quarter time. Settled a bit late in the quarter after the initial onslaught.

Nalder starting in the ruck. Lambert, Priest and Smith starting in the middle. Looks like Priest is running with Phillips.

Dominated the second for a return of 1.5. Friend with the only goal for the Saints. No score from Port that quarter, though.

I don't think McKinnon is playing since Boyd seems to be second ruck. Kelly is playing wing. Plane's playing out of the backline.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back