Running shoes

Remove this Banner Ad

shoes.jpg

I think I need some new shoes. That's about 700km hard walking. I had a look at the running thread on lifestyle board and it freaked me out.

Up until now I've bought shoes on the basis that I'll try them on in store and if they seem to fit OK and I can walk around in them I'll spend the $100 or whatever and live with the choice. Best shoes I've ever had were Asics Gel Torana 2, replaced with Gel Torana 3 which were shitful in comparison. The forget-which-model Asics above were bought at DFO a while back and sat in a box until being resurrected last October.

Right now I'm doing about 4.5km daily on rough gravel and the balance on concrete, making the transition from walking to intermittent running, and will shortly be doing running on grass. My running is pretty ugly and involves heavy heel striking until I yell at myself to lift my feet.

Is it worth going to somewhere like Athlete's Foot (forgive me, I don't know any better) to get shoes properly fitted and spend $$$? Or go to Rebel and ask for budget cross-trainers plus a pair more suited to grass running/agility?

Still have a quite a few kms left in the 2.0s but have you tried any newer ones.

I didn't like the heal at the start but it's fine once you get used to it.
I haven’t bought any shoes in a long time.
If I even think about running my calves and hammies seize up :(

I don't change my running shoes according to the number of km run; I change them when I see that the sole is already worn. I can't say that the brand matters so much; I choose the quality first, feel comfortable, feel like I'm flying in that shoes. I have a few pairs of shoes from Adidas, which are for running, for walking. And they have trendy footwear models that can be combined with anything, like the yeezys model. The design is cool!

View attachment 1317623

I think I need some new shoes. That's about 700km hard walking. I had a look at the running thread on lifestyle board and it freaked me out.

Up until now I've bought shoes on the basis that I'll try them on in store and if they seem to fit OK and I can walk around in them I'll spend the $100 or whatever and live with the choice. Best shoes I've ever had were Asics Gel Torana 2, replaced with Gel Torana 3 which were shitful in comparison. The forget-which-model Asics above were bought at DFO a while back and sat in a box until being resurrected last October.

Right now I'm doing about 4.5km daily on rough gravel and the balance on concrete, making the transition from walking to intermittent running, and will shortly be doing running on grass. My running is pretty ugly and involves heavy heel striking until I yell at myself to lift my feet.

Is it worth going to somewhere like Athlete's Foot (forgive me, I don't know any better) to get shoes properly fitted and spend $$$? Or go to Rebel and ask for budget cross-trainers plus a pair more suited to grass running/agility?
Athletes foot is a gimmik. If you want proper advice see a sports Pod and they will tell you what shoes will work best for you .

Wound up going to Athletes Foot today and picked up a pair of Brooks Glycerin 18s on sale. Tried on a few different shoes and they fitted and felt the best. I'll see how they go after 15km soon.

Wound up doing 10km. Cut 42 seconds off my pb per-km pace. 7 minutes off my 10km pb time.

Interesting thing about the Saucony ones I tried - as I walked and my foot rolled forward, there seemed to be no support under the toes and it was like falling off a cliff from the ball of my foot onward. Would they be more suited to running? What's the go with that?

Wound up going to Athletes Foot today and picked up a pair of Brooks Glycerin 18s on sale. Tried on a few different shoes and they fitted and felt the best. I'll see how they go after 15km soon.
Nice. I bought a pair of Brooks PureFlow 7s in August 2020, I don't wear them running often but the quality is amazing, longest lasting running shows I've bought in over a decade. I still wear them on hill/repeat sprint days.

Love my Sketchers Razor 3s for longer runs and jogs but I suspect the Brooks will outlast them.

Wore the Alphafly Next% tonight for the Sunset Series run at Melbourne Zoo. Amazingly comfortable and bouncy but dangerous when running around corners.
Because of the stack height, you can go over on your ankle if not careful. I felt no stability at all because of the corners and some unstable dirt running.
Definitely kept for long straight races in future, Sandy Point, Run for the Kids, Run Melbourne and Melbourne Marathon would be perfect for these shoes.
Next Sunset Series run is Princes Park where the Puma Deviate Nitro will be ideal 👍

Nice. I bought a pair of Brooks PureFlow 7s in August 2020, I don't wear them running often but the quality is amazing, longest lasting running shows I've bought in over a decade. I still wear them on hill/repeat sprint days.

Love my Sketchers Razor 3s for longer runs and jogs but I suspect the Brooks will outlast them.
Love me some Skechers and you're 100% right about their longevity.
Whenever I find a model I like I go to DFO and rummage through last season's stock on sale, I remember buying 4 pairs of the GoRuns (maybe the Gorun 3s) at like $40 a pop.

Last edited:
From my own experience, I can say that expensive running shoes are no better, and often even worse, than cheaper ones. Your choice of running shoes is a very personal decision. It is important to balance how well your shoes protect your feet and legs with how they fit, how heavy they are, and, yes, even how they look. Unfortunately, I realized it not at once. When I decided to start running, I thought I had to buy expensive shoes to protect my feet. I even took on additional projects at work to earn extra money (Spam link removed) But after several weeks, my legs hurt and my desire to run began disappearing. I ended up buying Brooks Ghost 14 with a big discount at $80. I've been wearing them for almost two years and I like them. I guess I'll choose the same brand when it is time to buy a new pair. By the way, thanks for your suggestions and recommendations, guys.

Edit: Removed spam link - OTP

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Minor buyer's remorse kicking in with the Brooks - I should have bought a half size or maybe even a full size smaller. They're a bit baggy at the front and my feet move around a lot in them.
Width or length issue?

I buy runners half a size larger than my normal shoes because your feet push forwards when running (and maybe swell during exercise?) iirc they reckon you need maybe a thumb width of free space in the front.

Width or length issue?

I buy runners half a size larger than my normal shoes because your feet push forwards when running (and maybe swell during exercise?) iirc they reckon you need maybe a thumb width of free space in the front.
Brooks have enormous toe boxes, bigger than any other brand I've tried.
I buy shoes with little drop and forefoot strike so that's a good thing. Heel strikers might feel a bit differently about it though.

I wear vibrams. They last a lot longer than any conventional runners I've had (mainly because if they start falling apart I just tape them up).
They ensure you don't heel strike. I've had no injuries since using them, when I used to be injured constantly.

Well, Sketchers keep ruining their line-up. After discontinuing the Razor 3 I bought the Razor Go Run which was very good, but now the new models don't seem to have an equivalent in their line up.

Any suggestions for a narrow foot forefoot striker? A smaller (currently 4mm drop) is preferable

Well, Sketchers keep ruining their line-up. After discontinuing the Razor 3 I bought the Razor Go Run which was very good, but now the new models don't seem to have an equivalent in their line up.

Any suggestions for a narrow foot forefoot striker? A smaller (currently 4mm drop) is preferable

What kind of use-case are you after? Shoes are much more specific than they once were.

What kind of use-case are you after? Shoes are much more specific than they once were.
Forefoot striking running 1-2 times per week, plus I wear them to the gym (that bit's not critical).
Have worn Nike Fees in the distant past too.
Narrow feet so that's a consideration.

Dr Google suggests Saucony Kinvara 14 may be worth a try.

Forefoot striking running 1-2 times per week, plus I wear them to the gym (that bit's not critical).
Have worn Nike Fees in the distant past too.
Narrow feet so that's a consideration.

Dr Google suggests Saucony Kinvara 14 may be worth a try.

Kinvara was the first that came to my mind too, wouldn’t recommend the 14 for gym work though, they’re higher stacked than previous Kinvara’s.

Hoka’s also have a lower drop and a good amount of foam underfoot, though not sure how roomy they are in the forefoot.

Most of the brands with lower drop like Altra or Topo will probably be too wide in the toe box for the liking I’d guess?

Kinvara was the first that came to my mind too, wouldn’t recommend the 14 for gym work though, they’re higher stacked than previous Kinvara’s.

Hoka’s also have a lower drop and a good amount of foam underfoot, though not sure how roomy they are in the forefoot.

Most of the brands with lower drop like Altra or Topo will probably be too wide in the toe box for the liking I’d guess?
I've actually had some Brooks in the past with a wide toe box which were ok.
TBH the sketchers are the only brand I've had in recent years where I can run for more than 30 minutes without rubbing/blisters.

I have heard about the 14s being stacked higher. I went the opposite for a while with ON, they were like rocks after 20+ minutes of jogging though. The 14s are cheap so I may just get a pair of those then a cheap minimalist type shoe with a wide toe box for gym work.

I've actually had some Brooks in the past with a wide toe box which were ok.
TBH the sketchers are the only brand I've had in recent years where I can run for more than 30 minutes without rubbing/blisters.

I have heard about the 14s being stacked higher. I went the opposite for a while with ON, they were like rocks after 20+ minutes of jogging though. The 14s are cheap so I may just get a pair of those then a cheap minimalist type shoe with a wide toe box for gym work.

There’s some great shoes around at the moment, foam and plate technology has made massive leaps forward.

If you want something ‘fun’ I’d highly recommend checking out the Endorphin Speed series albeit very different to what you’re used to.

If you want something ‘fun’ I’d highly recommend checking out the Endorphin Speed series albeit very different to what you’re used to.
Will do, cheers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back