CJH

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2000
Belgrave
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
I did post this in another thread over the weekend, but will add it in here as it is still relevant!

Observant readers will of course be aware that courtesy of free tickects and a benevolent mother, my wife and I went along to Rumba at Colonial Stadium, not expecting a whole heap but with an open mind!

Firstly, to answer some of the burning questions:

• No, I wasn't the eldest there. I saw at least 3 others older than me!
  • No, that wasn't me on the half pipe with my skateboard!
  • No, I didn't squeal when Blue came on. (More likely, I was turning to the missus asking who the hell they were.)
  • Yes, Vanessa Amorossi hit at least one high note!
  • Yes, Blue did openly apologise for performing synchonised miming to the wrong song!
  • Yes, Cheyenne Coates did actually remind me of a Drag Queen parody of herself (including the mime!)
  • Yes, I did feign shock at the exhorbitant prices for miserable pieces of food.
  • No, there wasn't ever a long queue at the bar.
  • Yes, the phrase "omigod" was frequently heard.
  • Yes, there was a Far Queue around the stadium before the start!
  • Yes, it did evoke a feeling similar to that felt while at an Essendon game!
  • Yes, Emma Bunton did try hard and Yes, she did appear to be enjoying herself!

In truth, the good acts were better than I thought while the poor acts were worse than I imagined could be possible!

I just don't know about Blue. Four silly Pommy prats pouncing around performing synchonised miming to lame songs just doesn't quite cut it with me.

As for Bar-dot, I also wisely chose the time that they were "performing" to go for a walk around the stadium and to see about binocular hire.

If Vanessa Amorossi wasn't so middle-of-the-road then she would be a star! She has one hell of a voice - probably better than anyone else on the bill the other night. It's just that her songs lack that bit of verve to really propel her up the ladder. I couldn't help but think that she was really best suited to being the lead singer in a Heavy Metal band.

Craig David faced up to 50,000 people with only the single acoustic guitarist for support. That he was able to mesmorise the crowd for 30 minutes just on his voice alone - with nothing else available to cover any shortcomings - is a true measure of his ability. You've gotta respect that!

After Shaggy got the crowd really worked up, I though it was a strange choice to close with Human Nature. They were so inspiring that I was caught falling asleep!

Nelly Furtado was excellent. She has had the one mainstream success with the Bird song but may be a little more alternative than the conservative folk at Fox-FM had in mind. I wonder how much they appreciated her closing song, "***** on Radio"?

The quote of the night went to Tina Arena, when interviewed on Rumba TV. She was asked who she though would be the next big Australian thing. With a straight face, she answered "Spiderbait and Regurgitator", bands that have been big for at least the last 5 years and the likes of whom would struggle to get airplay on FOX!

For mine, Craig David, Shaggy (more for his showmanship), Nelly Furtado, Vanessa Amorossi, paulmac, Lash and perhaps, maybe even Tina Arena (suffering from the same middle-of-road curse) were the highlights.

The rest didn't rate at all!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back