Preview Round 9, 2024: Hawthorn v St.Kilda - UTAS Stadium, Launceston - Saturday 11th May, 1.45pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've watched a couple of games and he doesn't seem to be taking all the kick ins. One game they were very obviously looking for him at every opportunity.

He's getting into the right spots to receive the ball and playing legitimately well though. I'd say that they want to work on him becoming more defensive because right now his offensive game is great but he probably needs a bit more balance.

Also seems like a cross between Battle and Nas and the backline is the one area of the game we haven't had heaps of injury.
Cool. I have only seen one game where the coach said they were working through him due to his weapon of a boot.

Good to hear it’s not all through that 👍🏼

Pretty obvious that selection integrity is tied to the length of your injury list. A few weeks back our list was a mile long and clearly some players were being gifted games despite their form.

Now the list is just essentially Crouch, Butler with Higgo suspended. Fingers crossed it'll stay that small for a while. If so there will be a few in the team at the moment donning the Sandy jumper if they don't pull their fingers out soon.

Nothing wrong with that.

Possible influenced by the echo chamber of the coaches reviews?

Arie Schoenmaker​

33 disposals, 29 kicks, 13 marks

Arie played first half as a half-back and second half as an inside mid. He was potent for us, he had eight inside-50s and six rebound-50s so was working at both ends of the ground. Some good opportunity for the defensive side of things to ramp up, but when he has the ball in his hands he can do some really good things with it.

Arie Schoenmaker​

32 disposals, 22 kicks, eight marks

Arie played the first half as a deep defender, exposing him to the contest. He presented good alertness and intent, before heading to the midfield to take on Callan Ward in the final term, which produced some learnings also.

Arie Schoenmaker​

27 disposals, 23 kicks, seven marks

Saturday was Arie’s best game for the year. Starting with physicality and intensity around the contest, he competed well with five score involvements as a back so clearly still brought his weapon to the table, good progression shown this week.

Arie Schoenmaker​

27 disposals, six rebound-50s, six marks

Arie had some good moments where he was on his toes and ready to impact. He played a bit of a mixed role playing deep, in the middle and as a high half-back, so it’s a good learning opportunity to be exposed to different attacks. The same as Lance, we’re just after consistency of effort and physicality.
Didn't know he was racking up those numbers , amazing he hasn't been put into the team.

Pretty obvious that selection integrity is tied to the length of your injury list. A few weeks back our list was a mile long and clearly some players were being gifted games despite their form.

Now the list is just essentially Crouch, Butler with Higgo suspended. Fingers crossed it'll stay that small for a while. If so there will be a few in the team at the moment donning the Sandy jumper if they don't pull their fingers out soon.

Nothing wrong with that.
Heard a comment a while ago that Crouch is cooked , don't know how bad his injury is but I hope he gets back , he is one of our most consistent midfielders and is missed badly.
Also out of Butler and Higgins I feel only one will be able to get back into the side with Henry fit again and Phillipou when he gets some form behind him - but getting the depth required to start to get our best side on the park.

I also feel Dow will get his chance soon as well , getting a run of games in the 2s should really get him ready to hit the ground running in the seniors.

His handballs to advantage are incredible...just needs to get it more.

Good mark and long accurate kick also.

Will get there and be an excellent player, just needs to gather himself outside the spotlight of AFL for a few games.

He only has to look as far as Sinclair to see that playing plenty of VFL can be a good thing for your career.

Contrasted against a guy like billings who (to my recollection) rarely played any.

It's not about where you start- it's all about where you end up as a player.

Possible influenced by the echo chamber of the coaches reviews?

Arie Schoenmaker​

33 disposals, 29 kicks, 13 marks

Arie played first half as a half-back and second half as an inside mid. He was potent for us, he had eight inside-50s and six rebound-50s so was working at both ends of the ground. Some good opportunity for the defensive side of things to ramp up, but when he has the ball in his hands he can do some really good things with it.

Arie Schoenmaker​

32 disposals, 22 kicks, eight marks

Arie played the first half as a deep defender, exposing him to the contest. He presented good alertness and intent, before heading to the midfield to take on Callan Ward in the final term, which produced some learnings also.

Arie Schoenmaker​

27 disposals, 23 kicks, seven marks

Saturday was Arie’s best game for the year. Starting with physicality and intensity around the contest, he competed well with five score involvements as a back so clearly still brought his weapon to the table, good progression shown this week.

Arie Schoenmaker​

27 disposals, six rebound-50s, six marks

Arie had some good moments where he was on his toes and ready to impact. He played a bit of a mixed role playing deep, in the middle and as a high half-back, so it’s a good learning opportunity to be exposed to different attacks. The same as Lance, we’re just after consistency of effort and physicality.
Arie is a gun and will debut before the year finishes. We just don’t need him down back yet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He only has to look as far as Sinclair to see that playing plenty of VFL can be a good thing for your career.

Contrasted against a guy like billings who (to my recollection) rarely played any.

It's not about where you start- it's all about where you end up as a player.
In 2018 Billings was dropped to the VFL, he got 53 possessions and kicked 3 at that level in his prime.

Arie’s numbers are greatly inflated by 10-15 kick outs a game. He’s still going well but certainly doesn’t have the impact you imagine when you read 30 disposals etc

Although I spent my local footy career taking kick outs so I always counted them for myself when exaggerating my impact on the game to mates so I probably can’t talk.
Agree the stats are inflated by kick outs, but by the same token, don't discount his weaponry. Here is an 18yo kid trusted for all kick outs, hurting teams on kick outs consistently. That's huge.

A big change from the years that Dougal would kick long to the same spot every single time.

It's a cheaper stat, yes.
But it's a great weapon too.

The simple fact is he's playing Wilkies or Battles role and both those blokes are pretty bloody good and not injured.

From my viewings of the VFL on TV, it looks like he needs to work on his defensive side a bit more, but nothing wrong with having to work for your chances
Should be eyeing Bonner's spot

It's nice to be putting out our strongest side of the year for the second week running. Other than a win, the most important thing is to get through relatively unscathed again. Then guys like Dow, Clark, Sharman can put pressure on.

Rewarding Paton is a good move. Has been very solid two weeks running, shows the VFL guys there are spots up for grabs if they're good enough.

The Hawks always seem to trouble us so I would take any win. Having said that, I've got a good feeling about the game.

If he's looking the goods in that kind of role- it makes it an interesting call on whether we give battle a big bucks, long term deal to make him turn down free agent offers.

Might be a gresh type situation, where we are better off taking the FA compo and promoting Arie?
Exactly - if Arie could (and I stress could) fill that role, it puts a completely slant on Battles contract.

Why pay someone $700k for 5 years if you can get an extra1st rounder AND a competent replacement replacement for nix instead.

Howard and Wilkie as the "defenders", Schoenmakers as the intercept tall (the Roberton role).

campbell not selected for Sandy,byrnes and Phillipou both named,interesting one of the 3 to bring along as the travelling emergency,anything in that?

So who’s got the job at the club of locking Matteas in a room with repeat tapes of Horne-Francis’ first half here against Geelong??
Bloke is just doing everything you want to see out of your bull midfielder.

Hopefully this stint at Sandy can give him the confidence to use his beautiful left slipper more often than the dicky little handballs.

So who’s got the job at the club of locking Matteas in a room with repeat tapes of Horne-Francis’ first half here against Geelong??
Bloke is just doing everything you want to see out of your bull midfielder.

Hopefully this stint at Sandy can give him the confidence to use his beautiful left slipper more often than the dicky little handballs.
hopefully not the same guy who is showing king and higgins the toby greene set shot at goal tape,because he aint doing that job

campbell not selected for Sandy,byrnes and Phillipou both named,interesting one of the 3 to bring along as the travelling emergency,anything in that?
We usually travel with a small and a tall emergency.
We might just be resting Campbell from the VFL since he is also travelling given his age while the younger player will be fine to play after returning home.

We usually travel with a small and a tall emergency.
We might just be resting Campbell from the VFL since he is also travelling given his age while the younger player will be fine to play after returning home.
Heath actually rucked well last week too from what I saw

Was at the club today.

Nothing going on other than Wilkie, Howard, Webster & Bonner on the track running for 20 mins.

Interestingly the only guys out there. Assumed today is a rest/travel day.

Going above and beyond or purposely getting extra K’s in the legs ahead of tomorrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back