Preview Round 9, 2024: Hawthorn v St.Kilda - UTAS Stadium, Launceston - Saturday 11th May, 1.45pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And what an absolute shocker that was........and incredibly....Tim Membrey did basically the same thing the very next year at the other end of the ground.

Tis the luck of the Saints at UTAS.

2016 and the Hawks get home by 3 points with a fair bit of assistance from the umps - “not 15, play on!”

And oh Paddy; what could’ve been

j7U5rLl.gif

2016 and the Hawks get home by 3 points with a fair bit of assistance from the umps - “not 15, play on!”

And oh Paddy; what could’ve been

j7U5rLl.gif

Ah yes, was that the one where about a ~20m kick was called 'play on' so Sav (I think) then kicked it even further back across the sticks and it got called play on again?

We’re a good chance this time to square up the ledger to 2 wins a piece. Still remember Josh Bruce running into an open goal and hitting the post 😆

Would love to see them give Shoey a game over Bonner this week… his Launy bogan mates would really get behind him in the outer

Nobody missed an open goal like Bruce… 🥲

The return of Triple H this weekend is exciting...

Henry, Hill and the Hyphen.

Now just need Triple M to fire up..

Max, Mitch and Mattaes.

We go as far as they take us imo
Dougal is a bit glum now you overlooked his triumphant return

We'll do alright with the Quintuple W in our team

Wilkie
Windy
Wood
Wilson and
Webster

What chance Shoenmaker gets a debut at home in Launceston.
No chance... RTB will wait until we next play in W.A. So he'll have to ship his friends & family across then make him sub & put him on with 3 minutes left in the match.

I think the issue with Philipou is more confidence, timing, touch etc. (in other words, form) than an issue with him being too light. Sandy would help him I reckon, and more importantly, the team if he is replaced by someone with better output.
I don't think he is as good as some are making out, but good luck to him

Our backline is better than the Dogs .... I struggle to see the Hawks kicking a winning score with the likes of Gunston Dear Ginnivan ... they have no power forward and we should have too much run on the bigger Launceston ground

Also we have an extra day break and Hawks looked to have a tiring match against the Dogs

Saints by 5 goals minimum

I don't think he is as good as some are making out, but good luck to him
I think he will be a late bloomer. IMO he needs to learn to find a better balance between what the coaches have instructed him to do and playing on instinct. At the moment there is not enough playing on instinct. The talent is undoubtedly there and his hands in a tight situation are terrific.
Once he gets the balance right and starts to believe that he really belongs at the level, I believe he will be an excellent player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think at this stage sending Pou to the two's is a question of selection integrity. He needs a spell in the lower level for reasons which have all been pointed out, and the blokes running around in the 2's presently need a bit of carrot, they can't get the idea that certain players are untouchable. Now is the perfect time to do it with Henry coming back and Collard bursting for an opportunity you'd suspect. I'd be getting both of those guys into the team, Henry we saw what he can do and Collard provides a massive point-of-difference to our forward line - and he kicks goals.

So Outs: Hastie, Pou
Ins: Henry, Collard
Dow into the sub role for Byrnes

I think at this stage sending Pou to the two's is a question of selection integrity. He needs a spell in the lower level for reasons which have all been pointed out, and the blokes running around in the 2's presently need a bit of carrot, they can't get the idea that certain players are untouchable. Now is the perfect time to do it with Henry coming back and Collard bursting for an opportunity you'd suspect. I'd be getting both of those guys into the team, Henry we saw what he can do and Collard provides a massive point-of-difference to our forward line - and he kicks goals.

So Outs: Hastie, Pou
Ins: Henry, Collard
Dow into the sub role for Byrnes
this

We’re a good chance this time to square up the ledger to 2 wins a piece. Still remember Josh Bruce running into an open goal and hitting the post 😆

Would love to see them give Shoey a game over Bonner this week… his Launy bogan mates would really get behind him in the outer

yes, i remember that. from then on, i wanted him gone!

Hawthorn play the ground at Launceston very well and we don't. Under GT's teams we used to, but it hasn't been a happy place for us for a while. Don't understand why, it's a big ground with a beautiful surface and it should suit us quite well but we sort of get lost on it.

However, I expect we'll have an even quicker team this week-end with Henry in and maybe Garcia to retain his spot, so its long past time we turned the tables on the Hawks at this ground.

St Kilda record at Launceston:

Under Grant Thomas: 4 wins, 4 losses
Under Ross Lyon: 1 win, 0 losses
Under Alan Richardson: 1 win, 2 losses

None of the GT games were against Hawthorn. All the others are.

I notice nobody talks about the potential match-ups. We are not talking about a ‘young gun player’ anymore. Matteas has had 24 possessions against Hawthorn - that’s total across BOTH games last year. They’ve seen him. Who could he do a job on? What role could he be assigned?

I notice nobody talks about the potential match-ups. We are not talking about a ‘young gun player’ anymore. Matteas has had 24 possessions against Hawthorn - that’s total across BOTH games last year. They’ve seen him. Who could he do a job on? What role could he be assigned?
Lyon won't have any qualms dropping Mattaes if he thinks it's for the best. He dropped Milne and Dal Santo from memory.

With Henry in and the VFL side performing Pou is under a lot of pressure. That is a good thing.

I reckon he might lose his spot this week.

A lot of talk about Pou but I think King is our biggest concern at the moment with regards to him reaching his potential. Poor attitude is the hardest weakness to overcome. He carries the burden of the biggest expectation and rightly so and the success of this currently rebuild will stall if King doesn't develop into that marquee power forward role he was recruited for.

A lot of talk about Pou but I think King is our biggest concern at the moment with regards to him reaching his potential. Poor attitude is the hardest weakness to overcome. He carries the burden of the biggest expectation and rightly so and the success of this currently rebuild will stall if King doesn't develop into that marquee power forward role he was recruited for.
dw mate we know what you think of king

I suggested Max King might not be ready until Round 8 in the preseason, based on researching this injury and operation. I contend that he should have been making his debut this week.

Just look at his arms compared to his twin brother. Arnold Schwarzenegger vs Micheal Tuck.

Last edited:

I could swear I’ve seen this exact same comment on rinse and repeat.

Poor attitude? The bloke came back from a massive shoulder injury last year that most thought would rule him out for the year and he helped drag us into finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back