Preview Round 9, 2024 : Hawks v Saints, 1:45pm Sat 11th May, UTAS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not the biggest fan of Ward and Morrison going out together. Limits our outside run.
Also part of the crew that believes Harry should play every week.

However, the inclusions are strong and still make sense from a structural perspective, so I'll back Sam in 100%.
I'm also conflicted on Morrison going out. But then I look at the team and wonder who we leave out. With an eye to the future it probably should have been Breust.

I'm also conflicted on Morrison going out. But then I look at the team and wonder who we leave out. With an eye to the future it probably should have been Breust.
Bruest is struggling fitness wise, but Morrison had an “ordinary” game last week.

Morrison was largely invisible on the weekend. He didn't have any glaring errors, but just couldn't work himself into the game.

He had a great game against North and then a poor game against Sydney (along with everyone else).

I think maybe Morrison keeps his spot if Moore dishes off instead of kicking the goal - Moore had every right to go for it as it was a two on one situation and he was running towards goal with minimal pressure - and if he affects the spoil against Naughton near the goal square. Morrison was close to making a great defensive play, but just missed it. These almost plays highlight how he gets to either end of the field to make a play or offer an option, and that's what a smart wingman does, but this time they didn't pay off and he wasn't rewarded. Those are two potential impact plays that would stick out in your mind if they worked in his favour.

Aside from that one dropped mark, where Ward seemingly spent it before he had it, I thought he did OK. He could have had two goals (did the team thing), and set up MacDonald with a kick on his opposite. He had some nice possessions during the game. He also kicked to space for Meek on the lead, and he won a free on that play.

Both were OK, but they just didn't get enough of it.

Hawks fans... big CMac fan here (or croc as some refer to him as) - is this the week we finally see CBAs for the young midfielder?

50th game, good matchup, ready to explode.

Seems he is quite a way down on the pecking order - Day, Newcombe, Nash, Worpel, Moore and Mackenzie are all ahead of him. He has been exposed defensively when he's played in there.

It would be nice to see him get some more though, the only way he's really going to learn is by playing there.

I don't think its been mentioned, but one thing to consider in the Serong vs Phillips selection is that Jai did a really good job on Membrey last year in the VFL.
Kept him to a goal and < 10 touches, whilst getting 18 himself.
That is probably the role they are looking for from him.

Frost - King
Serong - Membrey
Scrimshaw - Hayes
Weddle - Owens

I don't think its been mentioned, but one thing to consider in the Serong vs Phillips selection is that Jai did a really good job on Membrey last year in the VFL.
Yeah good pick up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. Membrey and Owens far too mobile for Philips on a big ground. Serong also bog at BH so deserved the call up.

Would love to see weddle with a license just let him run free, no direct match up but can choose to go forward or stay back
I'd like to see weddle on King.
King is not fit, and appears a bit lazy.
Put weddle on him and watch the carnage as weddle takes 10 bounces down the wing and goals from 50

No doubt w3 have reduced our running power by dropping Morrison and Ward. However we still have 5 elite or near elite runners in Maginness, Moore, Amon, Croc and Weddle. That may be enough.

You’re right, but the reason we won last week was our incessant pressure, which is partly to do with running ability. Hoping we still have enough legs to deliver it this week with a few slower fellas on the field.

Hilly is a running machine in perpetual motion and is in good form. Can put on the jets to. Probably our hardest match up. Was a huge loss for us.

I wonder whether Finn will go back to doing a tagging role primarily this week. Would be a good fit given Sam doesn’t seem to like letting Finn follow his tags into the Centre.

The reality is Harry is a fringe player. Like all fringe players, a poor game runs the risk of you playing VFL.
If getting dropped makes him want to walk out and play for a shitter team that hasn’t one a game, good luck to him.

Harry is a F/A at years end, I wonder if Clarko will come for him too? Or will he call Clarko? Not sure he will stay not getting many games.

I wonder whether Finn will go back to doing a tagging role primarily this week. Would be a good fit given Sam doesn’t seem to like letting Finn follow his tags into the Centre.
Reckon he goes straight to hill or milera we will Aim to cut their run

Harry is a F/A at years end, I wonder if Clarko will come for him too? Or will he call Clarko? Not sure he will stay not getting many games.

Hope not. Morrison isn’t the future but I think he will still be important to squad depth for the next year or so. Near 100 odd games too 25 yr old, could do worse than throwing him 2 years. Assume we lose a few through retirements in the next year or 2 so the need to delist shouldn’t be there

Hope not. Morrison isn’t the future but I think he will still be important to squad depth for the next year or so. Near 100 odd games too 25 yr old, could do worse than throwing him 2 years. Assume we lose a few through retirements in the next year or 2 so the need to delist shouldn’t be there
He's vanilla, but vanilla is OK.
People forget that our 2008-2015 era had the likes of rick ladson and tim Clarke

He's vanilla, but vanilla is OK.
People forget that our 2008-2015 era had the likes of rick ladson and tim Clarke
Tim Clarke is a stretch but agree on Ladson. People also think we need to emulate our last premiership team to win a flag, when really that was probably the best team of all time. Don’t have to replace Franklin, Rioli, Hodge etc to win a flag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back