AFLW Round 8 - 2023 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

So after I shot down the idea of Zarlie Goldsworthy being the Rising Star frontrunner last weekend, Morphett has since copped a season-ender and then ZG has a day out today of unprecedented proportions for an 18yo.

Carlton's loss could be topped in the "bad missed chances" column if Gold Coast don't smarten up in the 2nd half here.

And now a big chance for NM & Melbourne to claim top spot arises after that Adelaide loss to Brisbane, whereas previously it would've just been an opportunity to cement top 4. If either team needs it more, though, it'd be North since they'll get a ruthless Crows opponent next week (then again, Hatchard must be in some doubt).

Great day of AFLW footy.
Melbourne clearly the team to beat but have still got Brisbane away to finish so far from guaranteed top spot.
There is no doubt there is fixture bias but I think anyone who just misses the top 8 can look back at at a very winnable game that they dropped and blame themselves more than the fixture.

Once again Hanks stepped up her clearance numbers in a big game, this time against an opponent that can ill-afford to lose the count.

Garner sleepwalked through the highly anticipated R10 game against Richmond last year, and did the same thing for last night's highly anticipated game against Melbourne. Like last year, I anticipate she will respond in finals.

But in a way, that's somewhat too little too late. I think the more self-doubting teammates need to chalk up a win against one of the heavies in the H&A before they start to believe they can do it in finals.

Not much time for Adelaide and North Melbourne to dwell on their losses. Whoever wins next week will clinch a top 2 spot, potentially still go on to be minor premiers.

Vikki Wall would’ve been handy with Olachlan and Martin getting 2 kicks between them.
Seemed short a quality wing last night to go around from time to time.
I reckon that’s been a focus for Richmond this year with so many games at Ikon with its wide flanks.
It’s almost a circle that ground.

This will be the last time I bring up the mid-game, nay mid-play, interviews.

The Western Bulldogs are 0-7, and 50 points down against a team that went 0-10 last year. How do we make them look like more of a joke? Oh, I know! Force the captain to put on the headset... as the Swans mosey in for another goal.

Anybody who has the faintest clue about AFLW knows that Ellie Blackburn is a fierce competitor. But viewers with NFI would consequently get a much different impression of her and, frankly, the league in general. So, well done to the broadcasters for really helping the product.

Richmond had the right idea, going at least three weeks in a row (I can't remember if it/what happened on Friday night) providing an injured/inactive player to answer fluff questions while we try to watch the game.

All clubs must follow suit, but take it even further. TV can have all the access during the breaks etc, stand by the players in the bathroom taking a s**t, if they want. But during the play? You may ask the bootstudder one question, who will only answer 'yes' or 'no'. Nothing more.

The Western Bulldogs are 0-7, and 50 points down against a team that went 0-10 last year. How do we make them look like more of a joke? Oh, I know! Force the captain to put on the headset... as the Swans mosey in for another goal.

Anybody who has the faintest clue about AFLW knows that Ellie Blackburn is a fierce competitor. But viewers with NFI would consequently get a much different impression of her and, frankly, the league in general. So, well done to the broadcasters for really helping the product.

Richmond had the right idea, going at least three weeks in a row (I can't remember if it/what happened on Friday night) providing an injured/inactive player to answer fluff questions while we try to watch the game.

All clubs must follow suit, but take it even further. TV can have all the access during the breaks etc, stand by the players in the bathroom taking a s**t, if they want. But during the play? You may ask the bootstudder one question, who will only answer 'yes' or 'no'. Nothing more.

The worst part about this is that the Swans kicked this fantastic end to end goal and, rather than the commentary focused on that, we had the play overlaid by a *ingg in play interview

Bringing up the bootstudder has now got me thinking about the footy boots of AFLW. Here are the official top 5 all-timers:

Conti: Le Tigre
conti letigre.jpg

Conti: Blue Steel x Magnum
Award-winning combo.
conti blue steel x magnum.jpg

O'Shea's Copa Mundials
Not the only Irish player getting around in these bad boys, but they work slightly better with the North uniform than they do with Clara Fitzpatrick's Gold Coast colours.
oshea copa.jpg

Bates w/ Royal Tiempo
Broke my heart when she moved across to zee Germans.
bates tiempo.jpg

Dal Pos, Tiny Dancers
Again, they've got to work with the whole ensemble. Former Giants teammate Cora Staunton often wore an inverse scheme that also looked good, but bonus points go to Jess Dal Pos for wearing what must be a boys' size 4.
dal pos asics2.jpg

The challenge has been laid down to Ella Roberts, probably the only player who realistically threatens Goldsworthy's Rising Star throne at this point. Although Roberts has carried her team more, she hasn't had the mega game with both disposals and goals, on which the voting panel is sure to look kindly.

You may particularly fancy her chances of doing such a thing next week against the Bulldogs, but Goldsworthy did it against a team in the hunt for a top 8 spot. So today may need to be the day. And sure, she's not thinking about individual awards. But let's be honest, West Coast have no chance of beating the Bombers unless somebody puts in the kind of performance I'm talking about.

But first things first! I have been hanging out for the Slyshmeister. Simplistic though it may be, I believe she will make the difference between Collingwood winning today (and making finals) versus the other possible scenario.

Not really sure what Collingwood are doing by means of scoring goals, they just seem to come from nothing. And yet I've got into a hot streak of tipping form with them. Def gon choke Sydney out next week.

Even though Geelong have been preeeeetty poor for most of the season now, or "super patchy" might sum it up better, still seems like too much would have to go wrong for them to miss finals from here.

I feel like Nicola Stevens is playing... the worst I've ever seen her play?

And it's pronounced Tee-arna Smith, is it not. Hence the nickname 'T'. But I could be wrong. Somebody the other day referred to "Prespikios". Who are all these St Kilda players, nobody knows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a tired and sore looking Saints team from the word go. Wasn't a game I had them winning when pre-season predicting them to go 7-3, but the Port loss got themselves into a position where they probably couldn't afford to lose to Fremantle. That is, of course, unless bounce back next week with an upset over Brisbane.

Orlagh Lally leading disposal-winner on the ground. The decision by clubs to not have any Irish players looks worse (the few clubs which that applies to) seems to always look worse by the week.

Not the first time this season West Coast have led at QT. Other occasion was against GWS, 2.4 to 0.2, in a match they went on to lose by 20. It looks like a 5-goal breeze at Windy Hill, we can say that much.

Yyyyeah again the takeaway from watching Essendon can't help but be a distinct lack of brain power happening there. Marks inside 50 with a strong wind at back, let's handball! Mark 60m out late in Q2, again with strong wind at back, let's kick sideways! Come on.

You would have to think that West Coast's upset win has cost Essendon any chance of finishing in the top 4, unless St Kilda (next week against Brisbane) and the Dogs (final round against North) can cause an even bigger upset.

A masterful long con by Michael Prior? Maybe not masterful, or even deliberate, but I truly believe he inspired his team to give more (or at least a more concentrated) effort today, which got them over the line.

104 kicks/103 tackles vs 109 kicks/104 tackles. Bless these modern tactics.

I hope there are no Essendon supporters out there blaming this loss on the characteristics of the ball, hahaha. Coulda played with a medicine ball, ping pong ball or a beach ball and it wouldn't have made a difference.

Bringing up the bootstudder has now got me thinking about the footy boots of AFLW. Here are the official top 5 all-timers:

Conti: Le Tigre
View attachment 1837483

Conti: Blue Steel x Magnum
Award-winning combo.
View attachment 1837484

O'Shea's Copa Mundials
Not the only Irish player getting around in these bad boys, but they work slightly better with the North uniform than they do with Clara Fitzpatrick's Gold Coast colours.
View attachment 1837490

Bates w/ Royal Tiempo
Broke my heart when she moved across to zee Germans.
View attachment 1837492

Dal Pos, Tiny Dancers
Again, they've got to work with the whole ensemble. Former Giants teammate Cora Staunton often wore an inverse scheme that also looked good, but bonus points go to Jess Dal Pos for wearing what must be a boys' size 4.
View attachment 1837505
I see you like matchy-matchy, but I have a soft spot for Jess Doyle's bright pink or bright blue shoes. Always easy to spot.

Also realised today that Goldsworthy's shoes are kinda gold? That's cute.
rnxUVGrT.jpg

Assuming the players get paid for these TV appearances, probably under the Additional Services part of the cap, there may well be a bit more to the process than just what the broadcaster wants.

Assuming the players get paid for these TV appearances, probably under the Additional Services part of the cap, there may well be a bit more to the process than just what the broadcaster wants.
Of course they're getting paid to play football on TV and answer questions from the media. If you think that's an "Additional Service", I'm curious what you think their Main Service is.

I guarantee the only reason players agree to be unfairly exploited with mid-game interviews is because broadcasters guilt them into it: "We can't properly promote the league if you aren't going to cooperate with our requests".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back