Review Round 6, 2024: Footscray Bulldogs v Box Hill Hawks, 5 May 2024, 11.05am @ Mission Whitten Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Porter with another gross turnover that results in a shot on goal for the Dogs.
What is going on with our foot skills today??

Nice run from B Mac earlier.

QT FS 5.9 39 to BH 1.2. 8

I'm not exaggerating when I say our skills were close the worst I've ever seen. I can't fault the effort of the Box Hill boys, but so many inexcusable turnovers that led directly to goals. The Hawthorn listed players have been slightly cleaner but are winning significantly less of it.

Ramma took two strong pack marks higher up the ground but hasn't done anything else.
Reeves winning the ruck battle but giving little elsewhere.
Serong BOG for us. One of the few clean players out there and has been strong defensively.
Hustwaite's been OK. Good matchup with Sanders.
Phillips taking marks when needed.
Bodie Ryan was very good with his defensive efforts but kicking let him down.
BMac a great run.
All our smalls (Bennetts, Chad, Sully) have had decent moments but aren't really getting near it. Bennetts been the most lively.

One goal to half time. Pretty amazing that professional sporting teams at this level can only score one goal. I hate how defensive And risk adverse AFL coaches have become. Horrible to watch and must be very uninspiring to play

One goal to half time. Pretty amazing that professional sporting teams at this level can only score one goal. I hate how defensive And risk adverse AFL coaches have become. Horrible to watch and must be very uninspiring to play

Our forwards are Ramsden & Tucker. Former having a bad game, latter unsighted. Need our smalls to do damage but the delivery of our midfielders constantly benefits the strong interceptors of Footscray. We've only had 5 less inside 50 and are looking to move it fast, but 90% of the time that results in a butcher kick or a high roost.

QT FS 1.3. 9 to BH 0. 2 2

Two very contrasting styles. Bulldogs look to chip it around across their halfback line (Busslinger, Keath, Frejah their leading ball winners) then when there's a defensive lapse they look to cut into the middle. Meanwhile, we look to go fast at every opportunity but are struggling with our skills and forward presentation. Both sides doing the tough stuff.

Ryan and Serong stood up well defensively.
Reeves gives us a noticeable advantage in the ruck.
Our tall forwards (Ramsden, Tucker, BH Tovey) giving us very little.
Good moments from Chad and Sully but they haven't touched it much.
Hustwaite vs Sanders a good battle.
How is Phillips going?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back