Minnesota Wisdom

Team Captain
Jul 12, 2007
Melbourne - South East
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leeds United
After all the off field matters seemingly taking pride and place in forum of late, I thought it's time to start talking about on field matters. Yesterday saw Round 5 take place and we're starting to see the ladder take some shape.

Upwey seem to be the most consistent with their only loss against a Fevola led Monbulk. Intensity on a big day can always level the playing field. Another good win against Olinda keeps them a game clear. While Olinda had probably their first comprehensive loss of the season.

Monbulk secured a tight victory against Gembrook and have seemingly defied some of the pre-season predictions made.

Woori had a solid win against Emerald who seem to be struggling over the last few weeks and have taken some percentage hits.

Wandin travelled to Belgrave and copped a bit of a touch up. Bit of a surprise there, not sure whether to attribute it to Wandin not turning up, or Belgrave stepping up to Div 1 footy.

Finally, a big last quarter saw Warburton dispose of Mt Evelyn who both seem to be thereabouts.

Who saw what yesterday?

I ventured to Belgrave yesterday and From what i saw it had nothing to do with anything but Belgrave being the real deal. There pressure on Wandin was second to none. Wandin looked shell shocked and tried to get back on top a couple of times during the day but Belgrave just kept turning the tide back there way. Great to see a team come up from second division and give it a red hot crack. Watch out for the Magpies, they are coming

Olinda outclassed at Upwey yesterday. We conceded the first 3-4 goals, worked back to within a goal at halftime, Upwey then banged on 6 goals in the first 10 minutes of the 3rd and both teams were playing out time from there-on-in. In a nutshell, Upwey simply taking their chances and Olinda not. I wrote in another thread the other day, teams are pretty even generally but the teams with high skill level that nail the goals when they have real momentum are sitting atop the ladder. Daniel Waters with very sticky fingers yesterday - the guys been a good player for a few years now but looks to have gone into the YV elite now IMO !!!

Loving both the closeness and quality of football being played in the YV this season. Every week throws up surprise results and anything it seems is possible on any given Saturday! Being a local resident for a long time, there was a period where there were 2-3 sides in the running then the rest of the field. Loving the standard nowadays and its fantastic to see so many young guys playing senior football- gone it seems are the days of the old men getting around in the seniors well after their use by date had expired (myself included unfortunately-LOL). Quick ball movement and improved skill level makes for a very good standard. Add to that the fantastic weather we have been blessed with so far this season - and as a spectator, I personally am really enjoying the local product! Well done to all clubs in investing in their young local kids and developing them as players and people whilst providing an environment of discipline and structure- keep up the good work all!

I've just come across from the EFL as my son has joined a YVMFL club in Divi one. I am very impressed with the standard of footy and the grounds (although they are a smaller). Belgrave were very impressive. I thought their bigger bodies was the difference. I think The Doggies will be more dangerous on a bigger ground, but there don't seem to be many that fit that description!

Perty! When I moved across from EFL about 4 years ago I noticed that the games were probably a bit more physical than EFL - but fairer. i.e. The bumps and tackles came harder but there aren't nearly the number of tribunal reports on average as found at Eastern (even allowing for half the divisions). Condition of the grounds last year in a wet season was a little polarised; the good grounds were very good and the bad grounds were woeful with not a lot in-between. I was at Yarra Junction in July and you could have played cricket there but Emerald & Monbulk were suitable for mud wrestling and not a lot else.

$500,000 pledged by Cardinia Council (in next Budget) for surface upgrades of Emerald's home ground, Chandler Reserve, announced by the local representative on weekend. I'm not sure how much Belgrave's resurfacing cost but hopefully something similar can happen at Chandler

I think the Yarra Ranges are planning on redeveloping two grounds each year. Belgrave's is fantastic, and looks a million dollars during the summer months. Not sure on the costs associated in a full redevelopment, but I suspect it may be a little north of $500k.

I know it doesn't exactly fit in with this thread, but I had our 12s at Seville Jnr ground 2-3 weeks back. I've never seen a ground in the YV in better condition. Absolutely outstanding surface !!!

Certainly a topic for another thread tees! No doubt a great surface and I bet the 8 light towers make it magnificent to train under!!! What I cannot have is Seville have few junior sides, yet the council tip the money into fixing ground/lights, not to mention the senior football club are not allowed to step foot on it!!! Or the local girls team who are forced to train elsewhere! Cannot understand council mentality when it comes to things like this when there is several clubs e.g mt.evelyn who have a abundance of juniors and still share there gameday ground with there juniors! Interested to hear your thoughts tees considering how hard ofcfc has worked in gaining new club rooms! Not sure of the situation with Seville jfc but would of thought the councils first obligation would be how many participants actually use it in this case not many!!!!

Perty! When I moved across from EFL about 4 years ago I noticed that the games were probably a bit more physical than EFL - but fairer. i.e. The bumps and tackles came harder but there aren't nearly the number of tribunal reports on average as found at Eastern (even allowing for half the divisions). Condition of the grounds last year in a wet season was a little polarised; the good grounds were very good and the bad grounds were woeful with not a lot in-between. I was at Yarra Junction in July and you could have played cricket there but Emerald & Monbulk were suitable for mud wrestling and not a lot else.

Hi ManInWhite! Hopefully the winter isn't too bad. I have heard some horror stories. So far I've really been very pleasantly surprised by the quality of football and the charm of most of the grounds. The Doggies look like they'll be in the mix so it could be a very exciting season. Hope to chat again another time.

Certainly a topic for another thread tees! No doubt a great surface and I bet the 8 light towers make it magnificent to train under!!! What I cannot have is Seville have few junior sides, yet the council tip the money into fixing ground/lights, not to mention the senior football club are not allowed to step foot on it!!! Or the local girls team who are forced to train elsewhere! Cannot understand council mentality when it comes to things like this when there is several clubs e.g mt.evelyn who have a abundance of juniors and still share there gameday ground with there juniors! Interested to hear your thoughts tees considering how hard ofcfc has worked in gaining new club rooms! Not sure of the situation with Seville jfc but would of thought the councils first obligation would be how many participants actually use it in this case not many!!!!

My son plays cricket at Seville and it was explained to me that there is some technicality where the council controls one ground (junior ground?) and some other body (Crown land??) controls the other. I can't recall the exact detail aside from the fact that custodianship of the 2 grounds falls under 2 separate bodies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My son plays cricket at Seville and it was explained to me that there is some technicality where the council controls one ground (junior ground?) and some other body (Crown land??) controls the other. I can't recall the exact detail aside from the fact that custodianship of the 2 grounds falls under 2 separate bodies.
A couple of grounds are under crown control. Olinda, I think, is another. Still, the Crown and SYR tend to work together on maintenance issues and development. I think the Crown holds a caveat on what the use of the land can be and council helps with maintenance.
TeeS. Any light to shed on this?

Monniehawk - our ground is SOYR but surrounding land (specifically the hill) is Crown land. In a perfect world, our new rooms would've more than likely been relocated to up on the hill, with the downstairs cut deep into the bank and set up like Woori & Gembrook as changerooms, gym and canteen. Unfortunately we got a big fat no right from the outset.

Beau - I believe the SJFC and SOYR went into the ground redevelopment dollar for dollar. Unsure of the amounts but no doubt the the SJFC have been fundraising for this for quite some time. As to why no-one else cant use it, I can't answer that. I don't disagree with the point you make re: Mt.Evelyn all using the one ground. We've been working on the rooms since late 2007 and obviously it's been a grind. However, we also know the SOYR has 60 odd other reserves to maintain, upgrade etc so patience is obviously required.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back