Round 4 Results

Remove this Banner Ad

The Finger

Premiership Player
Sep 28, 2010
Upwey
AFL Club
Melbourne
Can we put a line through anyone yet? Woori and Gembrook are the teams setting the pace at the moment while there's a few teams on two wins. Everyone has got a win up except Upwey but who's brave enough to write them off?

Biggest disappointment has to be Wandin with a narrow win against Mt Ev. Things aren't right down at the kennel with rumors that blokes aren't happy. Big loss to a undermanned Warburton yesterday won't help.

Can we put a line through anyone yet? Woori and Gembrook are the teams setting the pace at the moment while there's a few teams on two wins. Everyone has got a win up except Upwey but who's brave enough to write them off?

Biggest disappointment has to be Wandin with a narrow win against Mt Ev. Things aren't right down at the kennel with rumors that blokes aren't happy. Big loss to a undermanned Warburton yesterday won't help.
Money cant buy happiness.

Gee woori were good yesty. Sneddon having a good year. They seem to of got some balance this year. They might roll the Brookers.
Upwey were well beaten and miss a few big names, the others look a bit down on confidence with Brotja, Hienrick and coviello finding it hard to get the ball. Coach copping a bit behind play.
Cant write them off yet, but it looks like a lean year ahead.
Put a line though Wandin, Heals and Mt Ev, Finger. Just percentage fodder for the others.

jugga might be in abit of strife at the 16 10 min mark of the first

Yeah he might be if............... the valley had a match review panel or..............trial by video. But they don't.

Just out of interest why are you blokes so reluctant to put the pen through upway? They look miles off it in the couple of times I've seen them. Injuries have an impact granted but personally I think they aren't being coached very well. Port had injuries too but they still found a way to win. Just my opinion.

Yeah he might be if............... the valley had a match review panel or..............trial by video. But they don't.

Just out of interest why are you blokes so reluctant to put the pen through upway? They look miles off it in the couple of times I've seen them. Injuries have an impact granted but personally I think they aren't being coached very well. Port had injuries too but they still found a way to win. Just my opinion.
thats ok then just typed before thinking, so the vision would not be used ?
spanner was there last year and fair to say part of the brains trust behind the premiership last year, if you look they lost to the side they beat in the gf, drew the next, lost to a biigger body monbulk off a 4 day break got woori on a good day and they play the bottom half of the ladder for the next 5 week, thats why no one keen to write them off, remember wazza

thats ok then just typed before thinking, so the vision would not be used ?
spanner was there last year and fair to say part of the brains trust behind the premiership last year, if you look they lost to the side they beat in the gf, drew the next, lost to a biigger body monbulk off a 4 day break got woori on a good day and they play the bottom half of the ladder for the next 5 week, thats why no one keen to write them off, remember wazza

Can make a case for probably all of the above apart from woori. Surely they can't be having a good day every sat, they're the real deal.

RR Upwaydown had 12 2011 premiership players not playing yesterday. They should be commended to concentrate on playing & retaining their local talent instead of paying big money to win flags. Unfortunately for them, injuries to Hedge & Sheers has affected their experience on the park.
Saw Olinda win ugly against Mt Evelyn yesterday. ME failed to score in both second & forth quarters mainly due to a mean defence. Both sides took too long to adapt to the very greasy conditions, where a few handballs and a turnover seemed to be the order of the day. They need to get the old tapes of Hawthorn teams at Glenferrie oval. The inclusion of Paddy Rosier & James Reid made the Bloods more solid in the middle and were suited by the conditions.

But they do have an Investigation system. Anyone can call for an investigation (If I remember correctly) - all they need to do is request it in writing and enclose a cheque for $5k as surety. The surety is refunded if the case is considered reasonable. If not, the costs of the investigation are deducted from the surety
Upwey are miles off at the moment and will battle to make the finals. That said, they can be written off as (maybe) GF prospects with some confidence, but it would be a fool to dismiss them as a shaper in the rest of the season. They have huge talent in their list and there are still 14 rounds to go.
Just ask Gembrook and Monbulk after last year.

Good thing he didn't do that against Gembrook or Upwey would be a full blown league inquiry. If the League wants to keep moving forward I can't see why they wouldn't act on incidents like that themselves.

Good thing he didn't do that against Gembrook or Upwey would be a full blown league inquiry. If the League wants to keep moving forward I can't see why they wouldn't act on incidents like that themselves.
Fair point.
The League takes its role as custodian of the local game very seriously, in my experience. I haven't seen the video, but it is a far more reliable tool than eye-witness reports. Local footy clubs have come a long way in the past 15 years and reportable incidents are few and far between now. Good to see sport for athletes, not thugs.
Valley Vision will ensure that even those few incidents that do still occur are more likely to be exposed for all to see.
So there could be a follow up.

Fair point.
The League takes its role as custodian of the local game very seriously, in my experience. I haven't seen the video, but it is a far more reliable tool than eye-witness reports. Local footy clubs have come a long way in the past 15 years and reportable incidents are few and far between now. Good to see sport for athletes, not thugs.
Valley Vision will ensure that even those few incidents that do still occur are more likely to be exposed for all to see.
So there could be a follow up.

When's Interleague? Perhaps they'll fire into action after that.:)

On Saturday had Chad Davis playing his first, and Sam Waters playing his second for the season. Out of side injured where Hedge, Dawson, David Van Hoorn, Daniel Sheers, Andrew McQualter, Jessie Dunne, Jeremy Selleck, and Jackson Lucas plus Kyle Grenda - all of whom have played this year - also heard that Porter is due to play in the next few weeks. Good thing about injuries is that are all short term Watch out when the majority take to the ground over next few weeks.

How would you know how they are being coached - that is just bullS#$%t, I believe they are a very happy and committed group, also 2nds winning well and Under's on Top - 4 of last years Under's and 2 of this years playing regularly in seniors. Last year when the injuries hit they lost 4 in a row under Ports - so maybe they did not find a way to keep winning - good to keep the facts right

I have been watching as well and I do not think they are to far off - they have been competitive - usually beaten with one poor quarter.

Would be interesting to see how Woori or Gembrook would be going if they had 5 of their best players missing - both have terrible reserves and Under's - not sure how they would top up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be interesting to see how Woori or Gembrook would be going if they had 5 of their best players missing - both have terrible reserves and Under's - not sure how they would top up.

You are quite correct, Guru. Its about time somebody said it too. I watched Gembrook reserves on Saturday and they are probably the most terrible undefeated top-of-the-ladder reserves side that I have ever seen.

On Saturday had Chad Davis playing his first, and Sam Waters playing his second for the season. Out of side injured where Hedge, Dawson, David Van Hoorn, Daniel Sheers, Andrew McQualter, Jessie Dunne, Jeremy Selleck, and Jackson Lucas plus Kyle Grenda - all of whom have played this year - also heard that Porter is due to play in the next few weeks. Good thing about injuries is that are all short term Watch out when the majority take to the ground over next few weeks.

How would you know how they are being coached - that is just bullS#$%t, I believe they are a very happy and committed group, also 2nds winning well and Under's on Top - 4 of last years Under's and 2 of this years playing regularly in seniors. Last year when the injuries hit they lost 4 in a row under Ports - so maybe they did not find a way to keep winning - good to keep the facts right

I have been watching as well and I do not think they are to far off - they have been competitive - usually beaten with one poor quarter.

Can't speak for Woori , but Gembrook had 4 inclusions from their reserves side in this week's senior side, as well as Daniel Welsh (bottom age Under 18, who has played all 4 senior games so far). Despite that, and having another 5 reserves players unavailable for selection this week, our reserves remain undefeated after 4 rounds. As for our Unders being "terrible" - thanks for the encouragement of junior football at our club mate. It's difficult enough to get kids interested enough to turn out and play,let alone having to deal with such "well informed"experts on local football, such as yourself.

Had a look at it on valley vision. Very humerous chain of events. Nothing in it though!. Good marking contest, coach for some reason gets up swinging (might be the fact they were getting pumped), bit of pushing and shoving and coach gets free kick. Dont ask how? Wandin runner then lips off and gets yellow carded and coach can still have his free kick. Dont ask how?

Can't speak for Woori , but Gembrook had 4 inclusions from their reserves side in this week's senior side, as well as Daniel Welsh (bottom age Under 18, who has played all 4 senior games so far). Despite that, and having another 5 reserves players unavailable for selection this week, our reserves remain undefeated after 4 rounds. As for our Unders being "terrible" - thanks for the encouragement of junior football at our club mate. It's difficult enough to get kids interested enough to turn out and play,let alone having to deal with such "well informed"experts on local football, such as yourself.

This was not meant as a criticism of Gembrook or Woori, both very good teams, it was more a question to those who believe Upwey is gone. I note that Gembrook have 16 players who have played all games including Craig Clarke, Ricky Clarke Shane Williams, Steve Gough, Shannon Richardson AJ Walker and Nathan Brown - all in the best 10 players at the club(from YVMDFL web site) - Upwey has 9 - with Sam Gooley, Steve Brotja, and Simon Mitchell from the top group playing all 4 - missing are Hedge (3 games), McQualter (3 Games), Davis (1 Game), Sheers (2 games), Dawson (1 game) and Van Hoorn (1 game) and Porter (0 Games). Any club missing a number of the best players is going to struggle as the replacements are just not as good. The good thing for Upwey is that they will get these players back and that young players ( from last years Unders premiership team such as Brown, Blair, Hannigan, Robinson, O'Brien have been among the best.

Probably a bit hard on Gembrook reserves, but not a lot of senior players to replace the top 10 - (no different from Upwey probably) The fact of the matter is each club has key players who can not be replaced if injured - it is a fact.

PS Not sure why stating a fact about the Unders is seen as not encouraging kids, not sure a lot to be gained by that.

This was not meant as a criticism of Gembrook or Woori, both very good teams, it was more a question to those who believe Upwey is gone. I note that Gembrook have 16 players who have played all games including Craig Clarke, Ricky Clarke Shane Williams, Steve Gough, Shannon Richardson AJ Walker and Nathan Brown - all in the best 10 players at the club(from YVMDFL web site) - Upwey has 9 - with Sam Gooley, Steve Brotja, and Simon Mitchell from the top group playing all 4 - missing are Hedge (3 games), McQualter (3 Games), Davis (1 Game), Sheers (2 games), Dawson (1 game) and Van Hoorn (1 game) and Porter (0 Games). Any club missing a number of the best players is going to struggle as the replacements are just not as good. The good thing for Upwey is that they will get these players back and that young players ( from last years Unders premiership team such as Brown, Blair, Hannigan, Robinson, O'Brien have been among the best.

Probably a bit hard on Gembrook reserves, but not a lot of senior players to replace the top 10 - (no different from Upwey probably) The fact of the matter is each club has key players who can not be replaced if injured - it is a fact.

PS Not sure why stating a fact about the Unders is seen as not encouraging kids, not sure a lot to be gained by that.

So what your basically saying is that without your high priced imports your locals cant match it with other teams? Point taken.:)

Uuummmmm... What!!? :rolleyes:

What part didnt you understand.

While where at it lets all list our outs, how many unders we have playing, how many that have left from last year.

Upwey have recruited poorly and its showing end of story.

What part didnt you understand.
While where at it lets all list our outs, how many unders we have playing, how many that have left from last year.
Upwey have recruited poorly and its showing end of story.
Some of the grammar, but...
Not quite the end of story.
Your posts presuppose a few things:
1. that Upwey are incapable of performing on their own local merits (read some history)
2. That they rely heavily on imports to fill the stocks (check the transfers)
3. That they have a bigger budget than anyone else in the league (If so, it would translate into the Points System, but doesn't seem to!).

You may be just pushing a personal barrow here, Finger.

The way it was worded certainly sounded more like a criticism than a defence of Upwey's credentials. It was also poorly researched as evidenced by your ignorance of Gembrook's reserves performance so far this year.

You referred to our Unders as "terrible" and now you state that as a "fact". Yet you don't believe that to be an uninformed negative statement? Your assertion is once again ill informed and displays no understanding of our Under 18 situation, or the difficulties faced by a number of clubs in getting unders on the park in the first place.

I have no problem with you defending Upwey's performances this year. Like you, I have certainly not written them off. But I take issue with people who make statements that are not founded in fact to support them - particularly when it concerns my club.

The way it was worded ceratinly sounded more like a criticism than a defence of Upwey's credentials. It was also poorly researched as evidenced by your ignorance of Gembrook's reserves performance so far this year.

You referred to our Unders as "terrible" and now you state that as a "fact". Yet you don't believe that to be an uninformed negative statement? Your assertion is once again ill informed and displays no understanding of our Under 18 situation, or the difficulties faced by a number of clubs in getting unders on the park in the first place.

I have no problem with you defending Upwey's performances this year. Like you, I have certainly not written them off. But I take issue with people who make statements that are not founded in fact to support them - particularly when it concerns my club.

You have twice said I do not understand your Under's situation - maybe you could enlighten us.

So what your basically saying is that without your high priced imports your locals cant match it with other teams? Point taken.:)

What a clown - all I said was without the best players available any team will struggle. Every team has imports - it is a fact, the Upwey team has always been based on locals with a top up from outside - so is Woori, So is Gembrook, I am sure so is your team - whoever the unlucky club are.

I also said that when Upwey has its players available it will be a strong team - so not sure where the poor recruiting comes in - only Finger could possibly know where Finger is coming from

You have twice said I do not understand your Under's situation - maybe you could enlighten us.

I think I said it once. Our situation is no different to a number of clubs who struggle to put a team on the park each week. Consider yourself enlightened.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back