Remove this Banner Ad

Taj Mahal

Debutant
Mar 3, 2012
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
So wot do ya reckon?

Pre season favs Olinda and Wander-in crashing badly.
Wander-in doing a big Silvan but without the success. They pumped up their list after a good season last year and should of set the early running, but they have gone backwards. On the ground and in the bank.
Last seasons big two crashed and burning. Upwey on the bottom, who took the spoon from Monbulk when they lost to the Hawks.
Mt Ev might just save Healsvilles neck by being even worse than the bloods. But Wander-in might help too.
Emerald were awsome today. Marked, ran and spread like a class side. The coach sounded pretty switched on at the breaks. Played like there were seven of him too. Easily bog. I reckon I wont be the only one looking at the replay tomorrow.
Everyone wrote off Woori and they sit 3 zip with Gembrook at the top.

Forget wandin, warby, healsville and mt Ev. The other six will fight out the final five with upwey or monbulk as no 6 and Gembrook, woori and the bombers top 3.

As I had a singing engagement, I missed the first and was only able to make the second half of Wandin/Woori. Must say, for all of Wandin's ins, they appear to rely on b/w 3 and 5 players. They were missing Oxley but don't know if any others? Shaping up as a long year already....

TM Agree with your assessment of Emerald yesterday. They were impressive in all aspects of our game. They have many younger players who can play, so their future in first division looks long term.
Being picky, the only concern that I'd have for them is their depth if they suffer injuries. Their reserves team looked like a 2nd divy reserves side and have lost all three games this season by big margins. Last season Yarra Glen had a very competitive firsts team, but injuries meant that they were found out with a lack of depth. Cox was injured yesterday.

Olinda had a game to forget. Couldn't do anything right, which was mainly due to a great game by Emerald.

TM Agree with your assessment of Emerald yesterday. They were impressive in all aspects of our game. They have many younger players who can play, so their future in first division looks long term.
Being picky, the only concern that I'd have for them is their depth if they suffer injuries. Their reserves team looked like a 2nd divy reserves side and have lost all three games this season by big margins. Last season Yarra Glen had a very competitive firsts team, but injuries meant that they were found out with a lack of depth. Cox was injured yesterday.

Olinda had a game to forget. Couldn't do anything right, which was mainly due to a great game by Emerald.

Add*to*myFootyweb *
Ladder After Round 3
POS * TEAM P W L D B FF For Agst % PTS
1 * Mount Evelyn 3 3 0 0 0 0 456 336 135.71 12
2 * Gembrook Cockatoo 3 2 1 0 0 0 330 264 125.00 8
3 * Monbulk 3 2 1 0 0 0 381 320 119.06 8
4 * Warburton Millgrove 3 2 1 0 0 0 376 348 108.05 8
5 * Wandin 3 1 1 1 0 0 315 318 99.06 6
6 * Woori Yallock 3 1 2 0 0 0 264 255 103.53 4
7 * Healesville 3 1 2 0 0 0 245 299 81.94 4
8 * Upwey Tecoma 3 1 2 0 0 0 298 388 76.80 4
9 * Yarra Glen 3 1 2 0 0 0 284 382 74.35 4
10 * Olinda Ferny Creek 3 0 2 1 0 0 318 357 89.08 2

Chill out boom bust
Upwey, monbulk and wandin will be all there let the season settle
Wandin were a worry on Saturday emerald are doing better than people thought
Note that the first and forth teams didn't make finals
And the premier was eighth

Good call Berton. After Round 16 last year Upwey lost a game at home (cant remember who beat them) and they were sitting out of the top 5. Didnt lose another game after that. So write teams off at your own perril. Having said that Upwey are not the same team they were last year.

Chill out boom bust
Upwey, monbulk and wandin will be all there let the season settle
Wandin were a worry on Saturday emerald are doing better than people thought
Note that the first and forth teams didn't make finals
And the premier was eighth
...and it could also be that this is an entirely different season rather than a replica of 2011.

Agree that it's too early to write teams off. Upwey's season may have just been dealt a major blow.
Turns out that Sheers played the first two games with a broken finger that has since become infected. After being in and out of hospital since, he's now considering not only this season, but also his career. Maybe Dan Chick could advise him. Last season he was hospitalised with a kidney problem from footy. Would be sad to not see him play, as he's been a genuine gun for anyone he's played for.
With Grenda & O'Brien both playing for Box Hill last weekend, Upwey may have a few more "good seconds players" running around in their firsts.

Am I writing off Upwey - never.

...and it could also be that this is an entirely different season rather than a replica of 2011.

True but I doubt it
2nd div club coming up that is in the mix
Clubs that spend money to mask lack of depth
My tip is relegated club 4 or 5 wins
10 wins won't get you in the five at the end

Ps if strathmore are the mores, what is the emblem on there jumper
Half dragon, half man?

One for all the Trivia guys,
Not that i think this will still be the case after a few more weeks but:
When was the last time Upwey was on the bottom of a ladder after round 3 and Belgrave was on top of one?

One for all the Trivia guys,
Not that i think this will still be the case after a few more weeks but:
When was the last time Upwey was on the bottom of a ladder after round 3 and Belgrave was on top of one?

Upwey was last on the bottom after 3 rounds in 1986.
Belgrave was last on top after 3 rounds in 1995.
Those last time those two things were both true at the same time was after round 3 1976.

Upwey was last on the bottom after 3 rounds in 1986.
Belgrave was last on top after 3 rounds in 1995.
Those last time those two things were both true at the same time was after round 3 1976.

Hmmm In 1986 Upwey finished the year in 5th place.

In 1995 Belgrave finished 6th

and in 1976 Belgrave Won the flag and Upwey Finished 5th then also.

So my tip is for Upwey to just make the finals this year and i've got no idea what Belgrave will do :)

Upwey's selected round 4 senior side compared to the 2011 premiership team shows no Porter, Sheers, Hedge, RVH, DVH, Dawson, Sloane, Parsons, Bell, Lee, Grenda & C.Gooley.
Hard to pick them against Woori at Woori, although the loss of Adam Simpson must hurt them also. That game at Olinda last year was obviously enough for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Upwey's selected round 4 senior side compared to the 2011 premiership team shows no Porter, Sheers, Hedge, RVH, DVH, Dawson, Sloane, Parsons, Bell, Lee, Grenda & C.Gooley.
Hard to pick them against Woori at Woori, although the loss of Adam Simpson must hurt them also. That game at Olinda last year was obviously enough for him.
He would have liked to have played more last yr, but Hawks and young Family made it to hard, plus after playing at the highest level for a long time the fire in the belly goes im sure there is no issue with that is there. Hes going up to Kynton to play a game with Nathan Thompson his mate from North days.
Jake Matthews had his poster up in his room as a kid, North supporter and he got to play a game with him im sure thats good BoomBoom what do ya think

Unlike C.Gooley who amazingly got himself right to play a GF hey? Then like a fart in the wind he was gone. So let's add it up will we, Gooley few games on big coin played in the GF at the expense of a young long term player then gone. Or Adam Simpson one game free of charge the Woori and Olinda players and supporters get a thrill a few young blokes play with there hero.

He would have liked to have played more last yr, but Hawks and young Family made it to hard, plus after playing at the highest level for a long time the fire in the belly goes im sure there is no issue with that is there. Hes going up to Kynton to play a game with Nathan Thompson his mate from North days.
Jake Matthews had his poster up in his room as a kid, North supporter and he got to play a game with him im sure thats good BoomBoom what do ya think

G'day burnt
Has the blow torch been applied this week
I'm sure your enjoying the chance to prove them punters wrong again
Having met Jake, did he realize it was Adam simpson?

Unlike C.Gooley who amazingly got himself right to play a GF hey? Then like a fart in the wind he was gone. So let's add it up will we, Gooley few games on big coin played in the GF at the expense of a young long term player then gone. Or Adam Simpson one game free of charge the Woori and Olinda players and supporters get a thrill a few young blokes play with there hero.
How did he get himself right to play in a Grand Final Finger-didn't miss a game,you also seem to know more about our finances than our treasurer.If your going to post something get your facts right

How did he get himself right to play in a Grand Final Finger-didn't miss a game,you also seem to know more about our finances than our treasurer.If your going to post something get your facts right

One things for sure your finances aren't being utilized with a home grown coach compared to the last few years. He must be wrapped the budget for players seems to have been halved and then some this year.

Can't beat the home grown product Finger.

Simpson was impressive on & off the field in his one game at Olinda. Took Olinda's best small defender to shut him down, but showed what to do when you get the ball. Stuck around for a few beers after the game & is nothing short of a legend. Crowd had something else to discuss during &after the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back