Autopsy Round 15: Richmond Tigers vs Sandringham, Saturday 25th of July @ ME Centre, Punt Rd at 1:30pm

Who will win?

• Richmond

• Sandringham

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Castagna another Morris in the making but not as hard. No composure and even he has no idea what will happen when he gets the ball

This doesn't seem consistent with other observations, I thought he was looking very promising with work to be done with his disposal. More of a Bachar than Morris?

Interesting looking at those stats, I thought Dea had it a lot more than what is stated there and didn't think Arnot had it as much as it says he had it. In fact I'm surprised by the numbers that Astbury Menadue and Gordon got. Not the first time that has happened for me when looking at stats compared to what I thought happened at the game live.

As for the criticism of Castagna, sorry but I just don't see it. Castagna is different to Morris in that he doesn't just simply run off like a headless chook, instead he picks the moments to go when it is right for the team, i.e. he continues the flow of the play. Down the track looking at bringing in some rebounding run from defence, him and Menadue across HB would certainly give us that based on yesterdays performances.

If they pulled Conca early in the last because he couldn't run out the game I'd ask him to play 4 quarters next week against Box Hill to prove that he is fit and then give us the chance to bring him in for the last 5 games of the season and give him a good run into the finals.

Might as well give my report (only got to see the second half, lucky me):

Overall:
- Shocking game of footy. Struggled to get our hands on the ball and when we did fumbled with it. No clear structure with players playing out of position and having to be regularly rotated from the bench. Although this issue is probably as a result of being a stand alone team and having too many players for a particular position.

Arnot:
- Cracked in but don't recall a single one of his disposals helping the team.

McBean:
- Looked good up forward, struggled in the ruck when giving Soldo a rest. Was fairly vocal, in a good way.

McKenzie:
- Is strong in the marking contest but the rest of his game needs a lot of work, which is to be expected.

Butler:
- Unsighted really. Like many in the second half struggled to find his way into the game.

Ellis:
- All class and look forward to him hitting the gym over the off season so he can compete at stoppages. Kicked a nice goal and has some nice passages of play in transition.

Conca:
- Class above and looking fit. Love his evasive work and reminds me of Shane Edwards of a few years ago where he has the ability just can't quite put it together yet.

Astbury:
- Took a couple of strong marks but hardly sighted him so assume most of his possessions where in the first half.

Elton:
- First time I've seen him up close and is more athletic than I had given him credit for. Don't recall him being at fault for any goals.

Dea:
- Was too unaccountable trying to zone of to help others out which enabled his played to mark with a bit of space on a couple of occasions. But was one of the better performers.

Gordon:
- Did nothing of note.

Castagna:
- Cracked in but lacked polish yesterday. Is an area I imagine he is working on and will eventually get it to AFL standard.

Menadue:
- Couple of nice passages of play as well as a couple of passages of play that he got himself into trouble and coughed the ball up. Kicked a nice goal on his left.

Soldo:
- Struggled although can't expect anything at this stage of his development.

Conca definitely needs another week in the VFL. His disposal dropped off in the 2nd half. Was still getting plenty of it but butchered it with more regularity than in the first. There were plenty of good signs but his disposal/composure has to improve

Stoked with the Dugong's numbers. Could be back in the ones soon?

Highly unlikely. From those who didn't play at all on the weekend he has to beat Edwards, Knights and Vickery for a spot in the 22 whilst Conca, Ellis and Dea are closer to a spot in the 22 that played with him against Sandy.

Highly unlikely. From those who didn't play at all on the weekend he has to beat Edwards, Knights and Vickery for a spot in the 22 whilst Conca, Ellis and Dea are closer to a spot in the 22 that played with him against Sandy.

True, fairly different player to all of those though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This doesn't seem consistent with other observations, I thought he was looking very promising with work to be done with his disposal. More of a Bachar than Morris?
I have said for years the VFL report was rubbish but we're not ones to pump up our own players are we now. Work to be done with his disposal? I lost how many times he turned it over. He's playing the exact same way he did at u/18 level. Nothing has changed. I don't see anything changing in the future. What do you mean by Bachar?

Interesting looking at those stats, I thought Dea had it a lot more than what is stated there and didn't think Arnot had it as much as it says he had it. In fact I'm surprised by the numbers that Astbury Menadue and Gordon got. Not the first time that has happened for me when looking at stats compared to what I thought happened at the game live.

As for the criticism of Castagna, sorry but I just don't see it. Castagna is different to Morris in that he doesn't just simply run off like a headless chook, instead he picks the moments to go when it is right for the team, i.e. he continues the flow of the play. Down the track looking at bringing in some rebounding run from defence, him and Menadue across HB would certainly give us that based on yesterdays performances.

If they pulled Conca early in the last because he couldn't run out the game I'd ask him to play 4 quarters next week against Box Hill to prove that he is fit and then give us the chance to bring him in for the last 5 games of the season and give him a good run into the finals.
If your ideas of the right moment is every time then I agree with you

Was able to catch a quarter and a half of the 2's for the first time this year. It was great to be able to watch a game at PRO. Hopefully the works are completed around the ground by next season allowing supports access all around the ground. I Will be looking to make the effort to get to more matches.
Two things stand out for me in the game:-

Firstly, how could Cachia be noted in our best? Captain giving away a 3 X 50m penalties in the last (2 for umpire abuse and a 3rd for not throwing the ball to the player). How does that show the discipline we should be instilling in the younger guys in the team? I get it he gives his all but the scenario when it happened is when you want your captain doing what Cotch has been doing in recent weeks which is standing up and showing the team the way.

Second, I was astounded with the level of rotations. I assume the VFL doesn't have a limit. At the start of the last quarter when Sandy kicked the goal in the first 20 seconds, a number (can't remember if it was 3, 4 or 5) tigers players ran straight off to rotate. They would have spent more energy in the running off for the change than in the period of game time they had played. I haven't been around clubs to really understand where the benefit of the rotation comes in but it felt like the tigers rotated so much it would be difficult to maintain a structure as every time a player looked up their would be new faces to pass to. This would require surely great discipline in running patterns to be successful.

The last quarter was certainly disappointing but it was fantastic to be able to go to PRO and see the 2's before the big game.

Has Conca always been fast or does he look faster now? I actually cant remember its been so long since ive seen him play. Just saw his highlights on the rfc website

Has Conca always been fast or does he look faster now? I actually cant remember its been so long since ive seen him play. Just saw his highlights on the rfc website
Was reasonably quick as an under 18 I think. Then he got stuck into the tortellini

A few more dishes & we'll be able to open our own Italian restaurant on BF......:p

save Reece's mum the postage...:eek:

Back