2nds Round 13 - Collingwood vs Box Hill at Box Hill, Saturday 2pm, livechat coverage embedded in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Another close and hard fought win.

Great problem this week for the Collingwood match committee to decide who comes in and who goes out.

Beams and Goldsack will be struggling to get back in..........:rolleyes:

Another close and hard fought win.

Great problem this week for the Collingwood match committee to decide who comes in and who goes out.

Beams and Goldsack will be struggling to get back in..........:rolleyes:

goldsack might be, he's not really a natural type, might take a few weeks in the lower grades to find some form

Super super win by the VFL team! So pleased that Beams & Goldsack got through unscathed.
What and epic return to footy by Beams! I can't wait until he is ready to come back to the seniors.

Grundy sounded like he had a real prescience today too as well as Ramsey.

A beautiful, simply beautiful weekend for the Pies faithful.

tense and very much a frustrating match to watch at points: brilliance mixed with facepalm stuff

Paine worked super hard - i was very happy with him today

Richmond was better
Broomy worked into it

Beams - didnt realise he had so much of it...showed his class but he's still a week or two away i reckon

Grundy was super. After years of thin, easily pushed around ruckmen, we have a tough, competitive, marking, long-kicking ripper

Goldy did a few good things

Keefee was, as i said earlier, both really good and poor at times - still finding his rhythm after his knee but he'll right to go soon

Ramsay is super quick (but he still go burnt off by Wanganeen...but that may have ahd to do with the leather poisoning he suffered in the first 3 quarters). Most of his run an carry, handballs, kicks were good - only chose wrong option a couple of times

Gault has just fallen away badly

Marty, look, i thought he was ok, and he got lots of it, but i thought it was just a good "VFL game"

Martin was good and took an excellent mark (and goal) surrounded by tall timber

Mooney did a few electrifying runs and kicked an excellent goal from a tough angle - he was a real spark

Russell was frustrating. Got caught a couple times and i cant believe he didnt know he was hot - he gave some silly handballs as well. However, there were times when he did some really good defensive things.

Yags didnt have his best day: some good, some bad - nothing that stood out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many goals did Beams kick?

I think he comes back in as a sub to the seniors. Taking into account the VFL has a bye next week. I think some game time is better than none.

2, both in the last quarter...

How many goals did Beams kick?

I think he comes back in as a sub to the seniors. Taking into account the VFL has a bye next week. I think some game time is better than none.

I see your logic Q, however spending up to 3/4's on the bench is not ideal for a player coming back from a long term soft tissue injury after just one game. He is just to valuable and not worth the risk IMO. Firstly let's see how he pulls up and then in the interim give him the chance to gain full match fitness (he's one player that may benefit from the week off). The other positive is a young player will be afforded more senior experience/ game time next week.

Box Hill Hawks 4.5 7.7 8.9 11.14 (80)
Collingwood 3.7 4.7 9.11 12.15 (87)

GOALS:
Box Hill Hawks: Tobin 2 O'Brien Harvey Murphy Lowden Lock O'Donnell Wanganeen Johnson Grimley
Collingwood: Paine 2 Beams 2 Martin 2 Grundy 2 Barden Richmond Allan Mooney

BEST:
Box Hill Hawks: Kelly Litherland Iles O'Donnell Tobin Cheney
Collingwood: Keeffe Clarke Beams Hellier Martin Ramsay

I see your logic Q, however spending up to 3/4's on the bench is not ideal for a player coming back from a long term soft tissue injury after just one game. He is just to valuable and not worth the risk IMO. Firstly let's see how he pulls up and then in the interim give him the chance to gain full match fitness (he's one player that may benefit from the week off). The other positive is a young player will be afforded more senior experience/ game time next week.
Surely he could not have spent 3/4s on the bench yet be the highest possession gatherer on the ground. The radio commentators intimated that he had spent a lot of time on the ground i.e. he ran the game out well - much better than expected.

Here's a report off the top of my head;

2 - Russell - Player really well today, had a great third quarter and provided great run off half back, got caught a few times but he was good.
6 - Goldsak - Struggled to make any impact at all, tried hard and took a few nice marks but needs a few more runs in the VFL yet.
9 - Marty Clarke - Best game I've seen him play all year, in the VFL or AFL, was very good off half back and as a wingman.
17 - Dayne Beams - Won us the game, was superb when it counted with two last quarter goals. He's back, just a matter of how he pulls up as to whether he plays next week. His fight is back too (not that it ever left) has that love for the contest.
23 - Keeffe - Did ok defensively, made a few errors with his kicking and his opponent got off him a bit in the last quarter. No certainty to play next week.
29 - Broomhead - Did nothing in the first half but got better as the game went on, seemed to play off half back later on and looked better.
30 - Richmond - Took a nice mark in the goal square and goaled, didn't do much else really, project player for sure.
31 - Ramsay - His kicking was shocking today but he got a fair bit of it, shows good signs but had a rare poor kicking day.
33 - Paine - Was ok without being brilliant, not a great day for marking forwards but his defensive efforts were good I thought. Still hasn't had that breakout VFL game this year.
35 - Brodie Grundy - WOW, just wow, his two goals were sensational. Got a handball from Beams 55 out in the first quarter, straightened up off one step and nailed it. Then in the third quarter he took the ball out of the ruck and goaled from 30 out, soon after just missed a similar shot. We have a star here, very good in the ruck too today and took a few marks around the ground late.
37 - Martin - Was great in the third quarter, and very good late on, wouldn't have won without him and I could see him coming in next week if Beams doesn't.
38 - Yagmoor - was ok without doing anything brilliant.
43 - Oxley - Didn't do a lot really, just a so so game from Adam.
44 - Gault - Played up forward and in the ruck, was ok in the ruck but struggled up forward, made a contest at times though.
48 - Mooney - Tries to use his pace a bit too much at times, but he is so exciting when he takes off you can't blame him. I hope he stays for one more year at least because he's just starting to develop into a footballer.

Stood with Dave, my old man and another mate, was a good day out at Box Hill with a great win in the end for our boys.:)

Surely he could not have spent 3/4s on the bench yet be the highest possession gatherer on the ground. The radio commentators intimated that he had spent a lot of time on the ground i.e. he ran the game out well - much better than expected.

I'm disappointed that you doubt Beams' ability. However he was talking about Quicky's suggestion of Beams as sub.

KJpie said:
I see your logic Q, however spending up to 3/4's on the bench is not ideal for a player coming back from a long term soft tissue injury after just one game. He is just to valuable and not worth the risk IMO. Firstly let's see how he pulls up and then in the interim give him the chance to gain full match fitness (he's one player that may benefit from the week off). The other positive is a young player will be afforded more senior experience/ game time next week.​
Hi TBQ, will you stop changing your bloody name!;)

Hope you are well mate?:thumbsu:

The reply if you trace back is to Quicky #138, in relation to his suggestion Beams is played as a sub next week not his time on the field today.

I quoted in post # 137 "Beams had no right to walk back into the side after such a long layoff and gather a lazy 28 touches. He amazed me during 2012, the cream not only rises to the top but it helps others to rise also".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back