Autopsy Round 10, 2024: St.Kilda v Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

SaintsSeptember:
Shithouse comes to mind

Leap of Faith:
Simple is always good

Try these. I think they're all applicable and appropriate.
Deplorable, shameful, reprehensible, abominable, contemptible, disgraceful, atrocious, appalling, inexcusable, odious, loathsome, detestable, heinous, unforgivable, dishonourable, ignoble, unspeakable, indefensible, abhorrent, execrable, unsupportable, condemnable, unjustifiable and unconscionable.

There, that just about covers it, methinks. Too much? Too soon? All other suggestions are welcome.

I'm always curios why fans think this is a real thing of improving skills in elite sport?

Certainly beneficial if it's condition that a player needs but it would certainly signal a mental fragility and lack of resilience if a supposed champion of the future gets his kicks out of beating up on weaker opponents. Most elite minded sports people look to hone their skills against the best.

Pou sells himself as a champion of the future and elite minded so I couldn't imagine he'll feel like a "beast" at VFL level as it is a woefully poor standard comp.

But here's what might be an interesting space to watch for the remainder of the season, and that is some times players get their ambitions mixed up with their capabilities and that's what we don't know yet.
It worked for windy. Windy was looking out of his depth for a bit we gave him a good period in the vfl and he dominated. 30 touches, clearances, goals. Then he’s come back and looked a proper mid

The problem is the guys he is playing on are playing a whole lot better
Tbh with a much better quality of support.

Steele is the very least of our worries, but he seriously needs Crouch there as well for help.

I'm always curios why fans think this is a real thing of improving skills in elite sport?

Certainly beneficial if it's condition that a player needs but it would certainly signal a mental fragility and lack of resilience if a supposed champion of the future gets his kicks out of beating up on weaker opponents. Most elite minded sports people look to hone their skills against the best.

Pou sells himself as a champion of the future and elite minded so I couldn't imagine he'll feel like a "beast" at VFL level as it is a woefully poor standard comp.

But here's what might be an interesting space to watch for the remainder of the season, and that is some times players get their ambitions mixed up with their capabilities and that's what we don't know yet.

Absolute drivel

Bassat's nostalgia trip doesn't seem to be working. Enright should have been offered the role all along, having sacked the terrible Ratts
Yeah, we all get it, you and Saintbloke don't like Ross. Is there a vague chance either of you could post something other than your personal mantra on repeat.....

It worked for windy. Windy was looking out of his depth for a bit we gave him a good period in the vfl and he dominated. 30 touches, clearances, goals. Then he’s come back and looked a proper mid
Do you consider the reason might come down to talent levels, hypothetically if Pou was a high DP fail it wouldn't be the first time would it. Are you being objective enough to consider it could end up being Pou carved it up in the junior comps but was out of his depth at AFL level. This is what we don't know yet but his first 30 games of AFL kind of suggest its worth considering.

Do you consider the reason might come down to talent levels, hypothetically if Pou was a high DP fail it wouldn't be the first time would it. Are you being objective enough to consider it could end up being Pou carved it up in the junior comps but was out of his depth at AFL level. This is what we don't know yet but his first 30 games of AFL kind of suggest its worth considering.
We won’t find out until we see him against the lower tier players. Let’s test it shall we?

But isn't all that is proved is he's a very capable player at VFL level but out of his depth at AFL level?
Did you give up on BJ one and a half seasons into his career?

The obsession with fans on this board judging everyone purely by stats is mental. Bonner is a liability. He is as scared as they come of contact, makes terrible decisions and flat out butchers the majority of his kicks.
Yer he finds a heap of cheap possies but who gives af. He doesn't positively impact a game of football at all.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Could say that for most of our list.

wanna edit my remark last night:

I said Brad Hill made a horrendous error that might cause him to lose the B&F

Not my smartest effort

Absolute reactionary rubbish

The kick was poor

Not his fault.

Sorry

My only excuse was my absolute disgust at the whole show.

And my own defense of Brad in the past, whe. He was getting a shallacking from fans because of his lucky contract.

It was a poor pass

And it looked like a dogs breakfast resulted

With the season gone I'd like to see us use the rest of the year to REALLY change things up and see if we can generate some passion, interest and fun in the playing group. If they don't enjoy their footy the results won't come.

I still have faith in Ross but it's fading. I was a big supporter of his appointment because I believed he would at least bring standards, consistency and a clear direction. I just hoped that was also coming with a more progressive game plan. I still believe he wants to move the ball and score but the cattle just isn't capable.

Here are the changes id make and instructions to the playing group.

King - CHF with clear instructions to push up the ground, be the release kick and work his ass off. He is capable of 15-20d 8+ marks doing this. The goals will come and I'd be happy with a 30+ goal return doing this.

Marshall - FF. Is as a good a contested mark as King and a much higher work ethic. Smalls get to his feet, I think they could feast.

Campbell rucks (no he isn't as good as Marshall, not suggesting he is) but our midfield gets destroyed each week regardless

Bonner is out. Has zero intensity, defensive side and regularly has stupid turnovers through sheer laziness.

Garcia and Hastie play every week

Shoey comes in and plays

Owens 70/30 split between mid and fwd

Poo handballs WAY to much. Has a good left boot and I want to see it more. Not sure if it's confidence or not. He might be a good runner but doesn't look a burst player to me, nor does he have the size to play inside so I don't want him winning 1st use. I'd even float idea of pushing him back behind the ball, get the play in front of him and instruct to attack and take game on.

Milera to a wing. Simple, get 75% of your touches fwd of centre.

Sinclair isn't a mid. Back to HBF where he dominates. He is a better kick and decision maker than milera in my opinion.

Team looks like

Webster Wilkie stocker
Sinclair battle shoey
Milera crouch Wilson
Wood King Henry
Owens Marshall Higgins
Campbell dow windy

Steele, hill, Garcia, Hastie

I don't really care if it results in wins, but hopefully re invigorates the team and sets a game plan and ball movement in the back half of the year that the players enjoy, is appealing to play and watch and gets a head start on a game style next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

None of us want to believe this, but here's where we are:
  • Too many bad list management decisions over the last 10 years leaves us with a s**t list.
  • Too much mediocre coaching over the last 10 years leaves us with players with bad habits.
  • And we have no onfield leadership.

There's literally only one possible strategy from here.

We lose a lot of games in the next 1-3 years, get as many games as possible into the kids, and keep going to the draft. When we go to the draft, we take as many mids as possible which gives us the best possible chance of getting A graders. Mids, mids, and more mids.

Is RTB the right coach? I don't know, but I don't think anyone else does better. (Look at Clarkson at North.)

So we may as well have a coach who drives standards, rebuilds players from the ground up, and gives us at least a chance of finding a future core.

As supporters all we can do is have patience.

Which sux.
Absolutely. I am all abord the patience for the long term pay off train.

I just would like to see signs that the players are being taught to play well. All this blind bombing and poor technical skills gives me fear.

Perhaps because I've been away and not sat in the grounds I'm not as wound up. Well that and snoozing through games like watching an Ashes series on my phone in bed isn't leaving me with the same levels of annoyance that I'd usually feel. My "one eye" support was literally "one eye" at 2am last night.

I still think this season has been a perfect storm of early fixture f*cktardary by the AFL, injury depletion and a very shallow list.

I've seen bursts of a great game style in patches this year and then turgid shite within the space of half an hour. I'm not convinced with those saying the "game style" isn't "training our young players". I think we are seeing only a small tip of the iceberg on game day of the work being done.

Selections to me have seemed a little odd but then I haven't being given the privilege to hear the discussions that have gone into them.

My age clock is ticking so I'm feeling annoyed that another year will be gone. I'm also of an age where I've been through many peaks and troughs and that is not counting this footy club.

I'll no doubt get annoyed and rant again but I'm now in the acceptance stage of watching our young players working through their growth pains. That will have to do for 2024.

wanna edit my remark last night:

I said Brad Hill made a horrendous error that might cause him to lose the B&F

Not my smartest effort

Absolute reactionary rubbish

The kick was poor

Not his fault.

Sorry

My only excuse was my absolute disgust at the whole show.

And my own defense of Brad in the past, whe. He was getting a shallacking from fans because of his lucky contract.

It was a poor pass

And it looked like a dogs breakfast resulted
There's no way Hills even a sniff at winning the B&F :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

Poo handballs WAY to much. Has a good left boot and I want to see it more. Not sure if it's confidence or not. He might be a good runner but doesn't look a burst player to me, nor does he have the size to play inside so I don't want him winning 1st use. I'd even float idea of pushing him back behind the ball, get the play in front of him and instruct to attack and take game on.
Pou handballs so much because the game is too fast for him

I go up to Daylesford every few weeks and on the radio they had talkback whining about the state of the roads, next time I go they're doing the roads and everyone's calling in whinging about the inconvenience of the roadworks.

The problem for the Saints is that there is never that few years in between that the roads are just in good usable condition. We are either driving along smashing the suspension in and cracking our rims or there are 22 sign holders and one guy with the whacker patching the holes.

I just want 2 or 3 years of cruising along listening to yacht rock with the windows down.
That was the first 6 rounds last year. Great metaphor btw

Bloody Port cant even give the Hawks the beating they deserve.

I was begging us to draft Blake Hardwick. He was a gun small forward that Clarko made into a disciplined defender

Did you give up on BJ one and a half seasons into his career?
Nope, but we aren't talking about a player who was drafted in 2002 that we have the fullness of time to reflect on, my point is, and I think it's an extremely valid point mind you, is that it helps to remain objective and open to the reality that some high draft picks don't live up to expectations and now we have a really decent sample size of AFL performance post draft selection, so it kind of shouldn't be ignored in the context of the potential need to adjust expectations somewhere in the future, say maybe another year or two or another 25 to 50 games.

We could use the same approach with Max, he's now entered the age and games metric when a high draft pick should of well and truly established some star quality but Max is spluttering and will only be afforded maybe another season to establish said star quality before he's considered a draft fail. Harsh but happens all too regularly...especially at St Kilda.

With the season gone I'd like to see us use the rest of the year to REALLY change things up and see if we can generate some passion, interest and fun in the playing group. If they don't enjoy their footy the results won't come.

I still have faith in Ross but it's fading. I was a big supporter of his appointment because I believed he would at least bring standards, consistency and a clear direction. I just hoped that was also coming with a more progressive game plan. I still believe he wants to move the ball and score but the cattle just isn't capable.

Here are the changes id make and instructions to the playing group.

King - CHF with clear instructions to push up the ground, be the release kick and work his ass off. He is capable of 15-20d 8+ marks doing this. The goals will come and I'd be happy with a 30+ goal return doing this.

Marshall - FF. Is as a good a contested mark as King and a much higher work ethic. Smalls get to his feet, I think they could feast.

Campbell rucks (no he isn't as good as Marshall, not suggesting he is) but our midfield gets destroyed each week regardless

Bonner is out. Has zero intensity, defensive side and regularly has stupid turnovers through sheer laziness.

Garcia and Hastie play every week

Shoey comes in and plays

Owens 70/30 split between mid and fwd

Milera to a wing. Simple, get 75% of your touches fwd of centre.

Sinclair isn't a mid. Back to HBF where he dominates. He is a better kick and decision maker than milera in my opinion.

Team looks like

Webster Wilkie stocker
Sinclair battle shoey
Milera crouch Wilson
Wood King Henry
Owens Marshall Higgins
Campbell dow windy

Steele, hill, Garcia, Hastie

I don't really care if it results in wins, but hopefully re invigorates the team and sets a game plan and ball movement in the back half of the year that the players enjoy, is appealing to play and watch and gets a head start on a game style next year.
In the context of what we get out of the remainder of the season, I'd say if Lyon, or any other coach for that matter plays a player like Campbell who clearly will be cut at seasons end, then he would be savaged by the media and AFL world for not playing players who have a career beyond seasons end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back