Prediction Round 10, 2024: Changes vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, Simpson all but said Culley isn’t playing and nominated Jones and Waterman as the only two changes

Means HEdwards and Gaff miss along with Culley

Spoke about Jones having flexibility so good chance he’ll be the sub especially since he said Jones was replacing Harvey who was the sub against Collingwood

Fair enough on Culley.

Hopefully JJ in means Duggan to the midfield and Sheed to the wing/half forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be interesting to see what they do with Sheed if he stays in. Gave us nothing in the guts so we hid him on the wing. Simpson then said we got our balance right/improved after the midfield changes, of which moving Dom out was one.

Does he stick with it?

Culley has only played one good WAFL game in the midfield so he doesn’t get a spot which I guess makes sense - Sheed providing pointing, standing the mark, and offering himself as the super short 10m away option simply can’t be displaced from the team.

Thought we were past this? Sheed offers absolutely nothing.

Culley has only played one good WAFL game in the midfield so he doesn’t get a spot which I guess makes sense - Sheed providing pointing, standing the mark, and offering himself as the super short 10m away option simply can’t be displaced from the team.

Culley has kicked a goal in every WAFL game he’s played so far this year. Best number for the year in terms of possessions in the last game but his numbers haven’t been terrible if he had been playing more forward/mid in a very poor Beagles outfit (between 8 and 13 disposals).

Meanwhile Dom Sheed walks back into the senior side off zero goals and 15 & 25 disposals respectively in two WAFL games.

Seems like Simmo will need to be dragged away kicking and screaming from selecting his credits crew. Thought the decision around Gaff was a positive change but he can’t seem to fully buy in to picking the kids.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see what they do with Sheed if he stays in. Gave us nothing in the guts so we hid him on the wing. Simpson then said we got our balance right/improved after the midfield changes, of which moving Dom out was one.

Does he stick with it?
From the coach presser it sounds like Culley not in, damn (getting sucked into the Gaff zone), but with Yeo out again, we need the hardness of Culley...maybe it's ducks+drakes?
He'd still be better than Sheed, who actually gave the oppo 2 goals last game?

At this point I'm willing to give Simmo the benefit of the doubt in regards to Sheed's credit rating and assume he's still in the side as without Yeo we're lacking seniority in the midfield. Hopefully he can impact the game in a postive way but can guarantee I'll rage if I see him trot up to a mark and point for a teammate to push up the field.

Sure, the credit rating - doesn't that mean trying to extract something from the high salary he's on - but you'd think the juniors wouldn't have much regard for him as a senior leader when he butchers play so often?
Yes he does have a lot of experience but how does he convert that to a positive impact on the game and players around him when he can't perform well himself? - pointing and waving?
(it's official Sheed is our new Gaff)

If Petch is out and Waterman is in, that leaves us very tall/not agile in the forward line.

Cripps and Ryan would be attempting to stifle the run out of the backline almost by themselves.

Darling and Waterman are hard workers but they're hardly going to stop the run and carry out of the backline.

It's almost worth starting JJ (I don't think they will though). I wonder if they might shuffle players around to lower the height of the forwardline.

I guess as an experienced player they're giving him the time to show what he can/can't do. But we didn't think Gaff would be dropped so ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back