Preview Round 1 v West Coast @ Mineral Resources Park - Saturday 30 January @ 4:40pm ACDT

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL keeps trying to make tall, young, good looking blonde Tayla Harris the face and star of the AFLW, and Erin Phillips keeps battering down the door with reality
Erin’s so much better than anyone else she’s literally in a class of her own. I think she’s pretty 🔥 to.
Did we win by 300 points or what? Crazy percentage there.

3 good quarters against a had a week’s notice we were playing against (albeit a very weak team) in hot conditions. I’ll take that.

It’s very easy to play games like this in second gear but the girls gave it their all all game, which was pleasing.

The cynic in me thinks we won’t play Richmond this season as a result of this game (the AFL won’t want to gift us 2 wins)

4:40pm start.

It’s also a Pride Game (part of Pride Round), so bring your glitter and sequins (I would come up with some other...objects...but this is a family forum 😂)
That annoys me. the coverage of the game yesterday said 5:10
Hate when they prioritise the tv coverage and inform the majority of their viewers when it'll be on tv.
Should always go local time.

3 good quarters against a had a week’s notice we were playing against (albeit a very weak team) in hot conditions. I’ll take that.

It’s very easy to play games like this in second gear but the girls gave it their all all game, which was pleasing.

The cynic in me thinks we won’t play Richmond this season as a result of this game (the AFL won’t want to gift us 2 wins)
Better than last year where usually we had 3 bad quarters and 1 good! I think it’s important to note it was a very hot weather game, so the errors and scrappiness would make a lot of sense, particularly in the latter part of the quarters.

Regarding Richmond, I don’t mind who we play in the coming fixtures. If we’re going to make the GF and win it, we need to be capable of beating any team, not just the average ones.

And one more thing...so glad the 2 spiritual leaders are back! Hell yeah!!

Erin’s so much better than anyone else she’s literally in a class of her own. I think she’s pretty 🔥 to.
Did we win by 300 points or what? Crazy percentage there.
300 percentage means we scored 3 times more than our opponent. It’s the ratio, not the difference. Either way, it means a damn good team performance! We smoked them good in that 3rd quarter!

I hate %
Encourages defensive football

You tell me which here is better

15.10.100 def 8.2.50

or

25.15.165 def 14.16 100

Give me point differential every day of the week (Also alot easier to calculate final scenerios. ie. Rd 22 2008)

300 percentage means we scored 3 times more than our opponent. It’s the ratio, not the difference. Either way, it means a damn good team performance! We smoked them good in that 3rd quarter!
Yeah I did guess it was probably that. No one is kicking 300 points in AFLW 🤣 more likely scoreline 1 - 3 - 9 to 4 - 7 - 31.

I hate %
Encourages defensive football

You tell me which here is better

15.10.100 def 8.2.50

or

25.15.165 def 14.16 100

Give me point differential every day of the week (Also alot easier to calculate final scenerios. ie. Rd 22 2008)
% is a much fairer way though, otherwise you’re comparing teams that play under a roof 17 times a year with teams that play in the elements.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

% is a much fairer way though, otherwise you’re comparing teams that play under a roof 17 times a year with teams that play in the elements.
I can understand this argument for bonus points for scoring (and even then I dont think it's big enough of an advantage to scuttle the suggestion)
But for PD vs %? Not so much.

Regarding Richmond, I don’t mind who we play in the coming fixtures. If we’re going to make the GF and win it, we need to be capable of beating any team, not just the average ones.

In principle I agree, but with only limited places in the finals we need to bank as many wins as possible to ensure we actually get there. It's easy to forget that in both 2017 and 2019 we were one loss away from missing the finals altogether. Hell, look at Melbourne, they have the best win/loss record in the comp over the four years and yet haven't played finals once.

At least this year we don't have to worry about the conference system.

Yeah I did guess it was probably that. No one is kicking 300 points in AFLW 🤣 more likely scoreline 1 - 3 - 9 to 4 - 7 - 31.
Starting to see higher scores... also, our men’s team failed to score higher than that 12 times last season... just sayin’.

5A4DAA8C-EDD8-4653-86AC-1179EBEE7FF2.jpeg

Starting to see higher scores... also, our men’s team failed to score higher than that 12 times last season... just sayin’.

View attachment 1048675
Our women’s team would have beaten our men’s team last year. 😂
Seriously last year wasn’t comparable with normal games. Short quarters and all.

Pretty good game from us.

It was a heavy win, but felt a bit like an almost coulda been a massive blowout. Phillips missed a few, Woodland too, Randall a number of runs crossing the 50m line and somehow we failed to score or dropped a mark from her pass.

Could have been 5+ more goals quite easily.

Was impressed by Woodland and Charlton. Woodland looks like she could be a very good FF, needs to finish a bit better.
Charlton didn't touch it much but you can see she's a player - seemed to have very good spatial awareness of what was around her and what to do.

They have the same kind of wind up siren at the Freo game today. Maybe it's a quirky WA thing. Like red behind posts in SA.

Most WAFL grounds have the NRL style siren. One of the many quirks of the WAFL, along with yellow balls for all games and numbers on the front of guernseys (though more leagues do this these days to help statisticians/scouts identify players)

Marinoff had a down year too, Hatchard stepped it up. Hope to see Scheer back soon.

Jones developing, would like to see Ponter step up. There's a huge amount of improvement from young players and the returning injured to be bullish about this year.

on Marinoff, is she still not playing the level below throughout winter? Heard that last year which I thought odd. Playing footy makes you better at playing footy. Marinoff seems to think differently.

We need to change tactics or they'll out-run us.

For a start don't kick it to a cluster of WC defenders.

Clarke is a joke of a coach. Our flags are built upon having both Randall and Phillips playing full seasons fit and well. The AFP chick no different. No Randall/Phillips, no crows. It’s that simple. Where was his great coaching last year?

In principle I agree, but with only limited places in the finals we need to bank as many wins as possible to ensure we actually get there. It's easy to forget that in both 2017 and 2019 we were one loss away from missing the finals altogether. Hell, look at Melbourne, they have the best win/loss record in the comp over the four years and yet haven't played finals once.

At least this year we don't have to worry about the conference system.
I guess being 2-time premiers, I don’t expect to be given an easy path to the Finals. Just hoping things will be fair for fixtures of the other top-tier teams.

With so many teams now in the AFLW, it might not be too far away in the coming years for a change in Finals system. Might be better if there is a Semi Finals approach for the top 4 teams. Obviously, assuming the Covid19 fiasco settles down first!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back