Prediction Roughead to leave Hawthorn?

Remove this Banner Ad

No it wasn't a pot shot at you or your information.

It's a shot at those who talk about him being washed up and general disrespect for a champion of our club.

If HE chooses to go then we let him with good grace and fond memories of one of the great champions of the Hawthorn football club.
Ok sorry , I got the wrong impression. Yep, I agree, Roughead is a champion footballer and bloke, one of the top few frwd/ utility players I’ve seen play the game. Whatever decision he makes at the end of the year, I wish the best for him.

Not our Roughie :(

Personally hope he stays. Will someone (Cyril aside as he retired early) play out their career at Hawthorn for a change ?
As hard as it is to take, the club and clarko are actually prolonging these players playing careers , I hate it as far as been subjective but the more money they make at the tail end of their careers the better imo.

I think Roughie realizes that he's hanging on to his spot in the 22 by the skin of his teeth. This is not a detraction of everything he has done for or given to the club. I think he'd be the first to realistically admit that he's not able to produce at the same levels as previously.

His call now as to whether he is to roll the dice and try to get one more year out of his body at the hawks, knowing that his history and experience won't keep him in the team. Or, give it a go at another club where his value is not just his skills, but also his leadership outputs.

I personally hope that he stays and keeps his place in the 22 by his performance.

If someone was to offer Roughead a 2 year deal I'd be taking it if I wanted to prolong my career, next season will be his final one at Hawthorn, but maybe he thinks he only has 12 months max left in his body.

Are people watching a different player?

He kicked 3 in a final, and has regularly ran through the midfield with great effect. We're not exactly stacked for key forwards either. He's still very good below the knees, too.

I wouldn't trade him, he's one of the few links we have to the beginning of Clarko's tenure. I would try and find another captain, but I would still like him at the Hawks next year, still doing enough imo, our forward line would struggle without him.

We aren't trading our captain. Clarko gave Rough the option because he wants players to get the most out of their careers, and if that means taking longer offers elsewhere he's okay with it.

That doesn't mean he's forcing Rough out the door and that he will most definitely leave, Rough would have known his career isn't going on forever and he will play it out as a Hawk and transition into an off-field role.

It's not worth getting him to pursue a trade for our own gain because we won't get anything out of it, and Rough will stay as he's an in-club father figure to most of the kids here. Stop reading too much into media speculation.

My 2 cents is that as a key forward the game has definetly passed Rough by. His hands are very suspect, contested marking is average and he can't leap over a tin jar.

But he is still surprisingly effective as a big bodied mid/relief ruckman where he actually does okay using his size and football skills to good effect.

So he deserves a spot in the side, but more as a midfielder/relief ruckman who does stints in the forward line rather than a permanent key forward.

Those saying he’s fringe best 22 then they’re dreaming. He’s was still a 1.5 goal a game key forward with ability to tackle and run through the midfield.

He may not be what he was but if he’s half of what he was then that’s still of a good standard.
And until we have someone better to play that role, or Clarko has a new game plan that doesn't involve that type of player, then he will be picked each and every week he's available. If as List Manager has said though, and Rough does want a retirement top up at another club, then we need to find someone else or put more on another players plate to stand up and be counted. Rough still has it over everyone else despite being significantly past his best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FWIW:

Jay Clark is of the opinion that "Jarryd Roughead could conceivably be playing his last game of footy for Hawthorn this week should we lose to Melbourne and to watch this space re Hawks making a play for Darcy Moore" as he can't see Roughy in brown and gold next year.

Quick maths...

- Cyril $$$
- Vickery $$$
- Roughead $$$ ???
- Birchall $$$ ???

FWIW:

Jay Clark is of the opinion that "Jarryd Roughead could conceivably be playing his last game of footy for Hawthorn this week should we lose to Melbourne and to watch this space re Hawks making a play for Darcy Moore" as he can't see Roughy in brown and gold next year.

Could conceivably? wow, that is in-definitive as you can get. Just super reporting that.

If we got that man-bun, Kiera Knightly lookalike I would spew...

Who would want Roughy? Seriously.

Carlton are stacked with tall forward options, so he wouldn't get a game.
Gold Coast perhaps, but they've got bigger problems.
St Kilda have tall forward options, ditto Brisbane
Bulldogs were rumoured earlier but they're stacked with tall options too, and won a flag 2 years ago.

Surely he stays due to scant interest

Bulldogs were rumoured earlier but they're stacked with tall options too, and won a flag 2 years ago.

He offers all of those clubs a great deal of leadership that they distinctly lack otherwise.

lets not discount the Roughy to CHB option o_O

I don't think its as simple as getting Roughy in to plonk at FF. He would go to a club as probably a third tall option and he's shown at Hawthorn he has the ability to play stints almost anywhere on the field.

Playing that role he would fit in at any of the bottom clubs, even a club pushing for the 8 (similar to Lewis to Mel) like North or Port.

Clarko knows when a players time is almost up, I'd be surprised if Roughy is playing at Hawthorn next year.

I don't think its as simple as getting Roughy in to plonk at FF. He would go to a club as probably a third tall option and he's shown at Hawthorn he has the ability to play stints almost anywhere on the field.

Playing that role he would fit in at any of the bottom clubs, even a club pushing for the 8 (similar to Lewis to Mel) like North or Port.

Clarko knows when a players time is almost up, I'd be surprised if Roughy is playing at Hawthorn next year.
kicked more goals than Lynch this year

Roughy would get a game at every club. Mark my word.

I think St Kilda would love him for leadership for a couple of years and with some swap of picks etc we would be looking at one of Membrey Mccartin or Bruce hopefully to come in and play a role for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back