Player Watch Rory Laird

Remove this Banner Ad

Has been a great player for us but time to move on from him being our prime midfielder.

I think he can still be a good lockdown defender though. One thing is for sure and that is he is NOT a forward. He was in the front 6 at the centre bounces a number of times on Friday. He's not creative enough or skilful to be a forward half player.

There is room for one of Laird/Crouch in there. The problem is Crouch can’t play anywhere else. Both are one touch - we saw how much we fumbled without them.

I’d move Laird on to a wing. He’s a ball magnet wherever he goes. Our current wings are hopeless. I’d persist with Cook for another couple of games. Jones and Nankervis are back pockets at best.

I just don't think Laird can be damaging anywhere other than the midfield at this stage in his career, and the emergence of Crouch has left him without a clear role. Honestly it's not even close, Crouch is miles ahead. Berry's injury will give him some more time, but I think he'll be dropped at some stage this year.

Absolute best I can imagine would be a passable half-back without defensive duties who rotates into the midfield for around half the stoppages or so, and as the extra midfielder we employ when it's not a CBA situation. But for that role, why not play Berry? He's still a capable stoppage mid but I don't think he's going to be a good full-time defender and he's obviously not an outside player.

There is room for one of Laird/Crouch in there. The problem is Crouch can’t play anywhere else. Both are one touch - we saw how much we fumbled without them.

I’d move Laird on to a wing. He’s a ball magnet wherever he goes. Our current wings are hopeless. I’d persist with Cook for another couple of games. Jones and Nankervis are back pockets at best.

We should totally put one of the worst ball users in the history of the AFL into a ball using position.

Laird would be a terrible wing, no better than Matt Crouch when we idiotically played him there.

Well I reckon he is slightly pissed off that he has zero chance of winning a 4th B & F, which would be a club record.

In saying that, comparisons to Roo, McLeod and Goodwin - they were genuine champions in the golden years of the club - 1997 - 2008.

Unfortunately, Laird has won them when we have been crap, 2018 - 2024.

Has been a great player for us but time to move on from him being our prime midfielder.

I think he can still be a good lockdown defender though. One thing is for sure and that is he is NOT a forward. He was in the front 6 at the centre bounces a number of times on Friday. He's not creative enough or skilful to be a forward half player.

What if we put him into the “space keeper” role Ned wants to claim he’s playing. Having someone who can actually find the footy, not get rag dolled, land tackles and be clean in contests would be a massive upgrade.

Well I reckon he is slightly pissed off that he has zero chance of winning a 4th B & F, which would be a club record.

In saying that, comparisons to Roo, McLeod and Goodwin - they were genuine champions in the golden years of the club - 1997 - 2008.

Unfortunately, Laird has won them when we have been crap, 2018 - 2024.

Shameful post, he deserves some respect for what hes done in the past.

Laird's been a champion of the club, been one of the most consistent players in the past decade. 2xAA and was very close to a 3rd 2 years ago.

He's 30 now and players have gone passed him as he's regressed. His time in the midfield is mostly up but he doesn't deserve to be discredited like this.

Laird's been a champion of the club, been one of the most consistent players in the past decade. 2xAA and was very close to a 3rd 2 years ago.

He's 30 now and players have gone passed him as he's regressed. His time in the midfield is mostly up but he doesn't deserve to be discredited like this.

Think you’re using champion a bit loosely.

2 x AA isn’t a champions resume;

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He won both AA’s as a half back flanker not as a midfielder.

He may have been one of our most consistent but I have news for you, we have been crap the past 7 years compared to our golden period.

He can’t and has never been able to deliver lace out passes to forwards and he loves the old one/two (accumulator) and has reportedly taken out a couple of helicopters over time.

As you can tell, he has never been one of my favourites and I make no apology for that but if he was a leader he will take himself out of the midfield and let the likes of Soligo, Rankine takeover.

He’s had over 10 years to improve, what makes you think he will in the space of a couple of weeks?
To be clear it’s not his efficiency ( we all know how that can be distorted) it’s the decisions he makes and the lunar landing kicks.
I was being sarcastic. When one of your primary midfielders delivers the ball like he does your forwards will always struggle.

He won both AA’s as a half back flanker not as a midfielder.

He may have been one of our most consistent but I have news for you, we have been crap the past 7 years compared to our golden period.

He can’t and has never been able to deliver lace out passes to forwards and he loves the old one/two (accumulator) and has reportedly taken out a couple of helicopters over time.

As you can tell, he has never been one of my favourites and I make no apology for that but if he was a leader he will take himself out of the midfield and let the likes of Soligo, Rankine takeover.
Can you just clarify what you mean as a golden period? I’m struggling to remember.

HBF or HFF but not centre, Crouch is far more effective.

I would be sending him to sanfl but they never will, same with Smith

After last week, he should be 1st one considered for being left out of the side along with McHenry, those 2 destroy momentum

HBF or HFF but not centre, Crouch is far more effective.

I would be sending him to sanfl but they never will, same with Smith

After last week, he should be 1st one considered for being left out of the side along with McHenry, those 2 destroy momentum
Agree. If your choice is between Laird and Crouch in the midfield you choose Crouch.

Given we are in such a deep rebuild we don't have the luxury of moving him to the back pocket or half back as we should be blooding youngsters in these positions.

Needs to be told his time as a midfielder is done.

He did an admirable job for several years while we had an SANFL quality midfield but his time is up.

If he doesn't like it, he's welcome to seek a trade. North Melbourne could use a senior head.

Needs to be told his time as a midfielder is done.

He did an admirable job for several years while we had an SANFL quality midfield but his time is up.

If he doesn't like it, he's welcome to seek a trade. North Melbourne could use a senior head.

💯.

Tell him if he doesn’t like it and doesn’t want a trade, he will spend the next two years in the SANFL.

He served as well when we were crap but he isn’t an A or B grader on his current output.

With Rankine injured Laird isn't going anywhere for a few weeks, but I'd like to see them re-shuffle the midfield mix to exclude Laird before the end of the season. Crouch/Soligo as the inside guys, Rankine/Dawson on the outside, and there's a couple of others who could come in and contribute if they need a 5th option (Schoenberg the obvious one).

Rankine and Soligo have both won themselves ongoing midfield roles this season and Dawson and Crouch did it last year and we've got no reason to move away from them. Laird is the casualty there the same way Crouch was when he was struggling a couple of years ago, and should be in the SANFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back