Player Watch Rory Laird

Remove this Banner Ad

If he can't back up his midfield form of last year, which was only for ~10 rounds, what the hell are we going to do with this guy for another SIX seasons (including 2021)?

We're certainly betting big that this guy is a star midfielder off little proven form. Surely a 3-4 year deal signed mid-season (after more exposed form) would have made the most sense

If we didn't bet big on his midfield form and signed him for only 3 years like I suggested, he'd be out of contract at the end of this season

Rory today reminded me of that undersized under 6 player running around chasing the players and ball with the guernsey two sizes too big. Just being praised for being out there having a go. Little legs pumping. Getting that one special kick that just goes straight up to anyone.

He was ordinary yesterday and has to be playing injured. Something wrong with his speed/power. Couldn't even get to the contest let alone impact it. Doesn't fit the Burgess she'll be right fitness protocol.
Burgess says "he's right" and Pepsi Nuts says "rightio".

He was ordinary yesterday and has to be playing injured. Something wrong with his speed/power. Couldn't even get to the contest let alone impact it. Doesn't fit the Burgess she'll be right fitness protocol.
Burgess says "he's right" and Pepsi Nuts says "rightio".
He’s 30 so has lost a little bit of speed but that’s about it. He’s always been an ordinary midfielder and now there is class around him it’s really showing.

He’s 30 so has lost a little bit of speed but that’s about it. He’s always been an ordinary midfielder and now there is class around him it’s really showing.
Laird has always been win the ground ball clearance player so losing that quick bust of speed in the first 5m has effected him greatly which is why he just handball and get caught HTB a lot. Noticeable, when he does his moon kick which previously goes to 50/50 are ending in direct turnover to a loose defender a lot.

He was as fast as a snail yesterday. It was a lot more than a little bit.

Lairdy's weapon is tackling and getting his hands on the ground ball and feeding it out.
He was so horribly out of his weapon scope that it could only be a selection blunder to have him in the side.

Acceleration 2/10 Agility 2/10 Awareness 2/10 Aggression 3/10. Absolutely Horrible. Sorry Lairdy but that was the worst I've ever seen from you.

Do we even have team role weapon based physical criterion's ? It would seem not.
What about secondary role slot options?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just put him back in defence for experience & drop Smith.

Our midfield balance is wrong when Laird & Crouch are in the midfield.

I think this is the move that needs to happen. Smith ran wide and got a heap of cheap kicks but he can't defend.

Only point I'd make on the above is we as supporters always assume older players are important for experience. I'm not convinced in our case that we want the experience.

Last edited:
I think this is the move that needs to happen. Smith ran wide and got a heap of cheap kicks but he defend.

Only point I'd make on the above is we as supporters always assume older players are important for experience. I'm not convinced in our case that we want the experience.
Yeah, we don’t need or want Laird’s experience anywhere on the field. We need experience put into Curtin which is the obvious change for Smith.

Didn't we already attempt a bit of thst and he cracked the sads.
Any coach who wants to make a change and doesn't because a player complains ain't worth much as a coach.

That line mostly sounded like an off-the-cuff excuse Hombsch came up with to deflect a question about Laird being moved back. If Nicks wanted him elsewhere he'd be playing another position, the only reason he's in the midfield is because that's where Nicks wants him.

Lairdy's weapon is tackling and getting his hands on the ground ball and feeding it out.
He was so horribly out of his weapon scope that it could only be a selection blunder to have him in the side.

Acceleration 2/10 Agility 2/10 Awareness 2/10 Aggression 3/10. Absolutely Horrible. Sorry Lairdy but that was the worst I've ever seen from you.

Do we even have team role weapon based physical criterion's ? It would seem not.
What about secondary role slot options?
Laird has lost his tackling ferocity. He was a great tackler once upon a time but not anymore.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Laird has lost his tackling ferocity. He was a great tackler once upon a time but not anymore.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

He's just cruising. Probably had most of his contract paid already, so can just phone it in. Knowing he can't be dropped means there's no accountability for lack of effort. Smith is no different, just cruises around getting cheap and useless kicks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back