Mod. Notice Ron The Bear RIP

Remove this Banner Ad

That came as a shock, sad news RIP.
Makes the last few years all the better knowing long suffering fans got to see so much success, I remember back in 2017 he missed out on a ticket and was devastated but managed to get his hands on a ticket through the board.

Hey all, not sure how much personal stuff he shared on here, he was a private guy, but wanted to let you all know just how much of a ripper person and Richmond tragic Ron was. I didn’t really know where to put this, so forgive the soliloquy.

I met Ron when I moved to Melbourne from Adelaide to start my first job as a young fella, fresh out of Uni. Didn’t know a soul in the state. Ron was the database programmer working in the same department as me and the first question he asked was who I supported in the footy. A strange look came across his face when I said Port – he thought it was odd and had never met a fan from a club that he considered to be new. Suffice to say some lessons between us on football history went back and forth. I told him about Russell Ebert and Scott Hodges and winning flags in the 90s. He told me they didn’t count. Then he told me about Francis Bourke, Royce Hart and Jack Dyer and winning flags in the 70s. I told him they didn’t count. Then we had a statistical argument about who was better Richo or Tredrea. We agreed to disagree.

After all that we became fast friends.

Next came invites to go to the footy and stand with him in the “grog squad” behind the goals at the Punt Road end. He was too bashful to become too involved with the social stuff, but he stood there for every game for decades including in the dark days for Richmond – although he would admit that on occasion he sneak away to the TAB for a punt if things were too dire. He was certainly not bashful when it came to feedback on opposition players and/or the umpires. The language and terminology being yelled not at all 2021 appropriate. But he never had any real malice. It was just his way. He was emotional and passionate about his footy club.

Soon after that came the invite to play cricket. Ron was a crafty swing bowler, treasurer and life member for Marcelin Old Collegians. I reckon quite a few batsman would see a large Homer Simpson looking dude trotting in and underestimate him, largely to their peril. His outswinger was deadly.

Then there was the invite to the custom fantasy football tournament (before online fantasy footy was thing) where Ron and group of mates would hold draft nights and pick our players. Ron ran the scoring database, kept that stats up to date and did the results updates.

As you can tell, he was an incredible support and friend for me. Without him, I would have gotten homesick much quicker than I did, probably quit my job and moved back to Adelaide much sooner than I should have - and then who knows where I would’ve ended up.

Sadly the tyranny of distance, time and other commitments meant we didn’t catch up as often as I would have liked, then COVID hit and we somewhat lost touch other than online. So when the news came through, I felt a strong pang of regret. Give your mates a message, just to say hello. Nothing bad can come from that.

Thank you Ron for introducing me to punting, Nando’s, hand tennis, VFL lore, statistical analysis, Richmond history, some terrible language, how to handle temper tantrums but most of all thank you for being a genuine character, the likes of which I haven’t met before or since.
Great post mate.

Hey all, not sure how much personal stuff he shared on here, he was a private guy, but wanted to let you all know just how much of a ripper person and Richmond tragic Ron was. I didn’t really know where to put this, so forgive the soliloquy.

I met Ron when I moved to Melbourne from Adelaide to start my first job as a young fella, fresh out of Uni. Didn’t know a soul in the state. Ron was the database programmer working in the same department as me and the first question he asked was who I supported in the footy. A strange look came across his face when I said Port – he thought it was odd and had never met a fan from a club that he considered to be new. Suffice to say some lessons between us on football history went back and forth. I told him about Russell Ebert and Scott Hodges and winning flags in the 90s. He told me they didn’t count. Then he told me about Francis Bourke, Royce Hart and Jack Dyer and winning flags in the 70s. I told him they didn’t count. Then we had a statistical argument about who was better Richo or Tredrea. We agreed to disagree.

Next came invites to go to the footy and stand with him in the “grog squad” behind the goals at the Punt Road end. He was too bashful to become too involved with the social stuff, but he stood there for every game for decades including in the dark days for Richmond – although he would admit that on occasion he sneak away to the TAB for a punt if things were too dire. He was certainly not bashful when it came to feedback on opposition players and/or the umpires. The language and terminology being yelled not at all 2021 appropriate. But he never had any real malice. It was just his way. He was emotional and passionate about his footy club.

Soon after that came the invite to play cricket. Ron was a crafty swing bowler, treasurer and life member for Marcelin Old Collegians. I reckon quite a few batsman would see a large Homer Simpson looking dude trotting in and underestimate him, largely to their peril. His outswinger was deadly.

Then there was the invite to the custom fantasy football tournament (before online fantasy footy was thing) where Ron and group of mates would hold draft nights and pick our players. Ron ran the scoring database, kept that stats up to date and did the results updates.

As you can tell, he was an incredible support and friend for me. Without him, I would have gotten homesick much quicker than I did, probably quit my job and moved back to Adelaide much sooner than I should have - and then who knows where I would’ve ended up.

Sadly the tyranny of distance, time and other commitments meant we didn’t catch up as often as I would have liked, then COVID hit and we somewhat lost touch other than online. So when the news came through, I felt a strong pang of regret. Give your mates a message, just to say hello. Nothing bad can come from that.

Thank you Ron for introducing me to punting, Nando’s, hand tennis, VFL lore, statistical analysis, Richmond history, some terrible language, how to handle temper tantrums but most of all thank you for being a genuine character, the likes of which I haven’t met before or since.
Nice post. Reckon you might have done well to be a Port man, not so many degrees of separation from Tigers people, long traditions and passionate. Sounds like Ron was that sort of bloke.

Ripping post mate, thanks for sharing!

RIP Ron. One of those posters who was well respected by both our fans and opposition fans alike.

The go to guy for statistical anomalies on this forum and I believe had a database where he could pluck any stat any post them in the Stats Questions and Stats Observations threads.

Was one of the first users whose name I had come across before joining up here.

RIP stats king.

I apologise if I asked one too many a stats question or was being pesky.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was crying halfway through this eulogy.

Thanks for painting a better picture of Ron for us.

Thank you for such an illuminating post.

I only knew Ron as a contributor here, but would just echo the thoughts of others. He was a tremendous poster. Fantastic mixture of insightful, revealing and grumpy.

RIP Ron. 🥲

There wasn't a thread on the main board, so apologies for popping in.

I enjoyed the repartee with Ron on the main board and of course his contribution to providing us ordinary folks with the most obscure facts in an easy to read table format will never be forgotten - and dare I say it, never replicated. That alone demonstrates his enduring passion for the game and reading up on the stories on this thread left a bit of a tear in my eye.

My sincere condolences and I am glad that you guys saluted three times in recent years to give Ron (and the rest of you folks) well deserved happiness.

RIP.

Really sad news. Easily one of the best posters on this forum. Was shame you had to head to the main board to read his stuff as I didn't see him on this board very often but he seemed to have a really calm and concise way in which he would take dickhead posters to school that was much more effective than the typical childish nonsense that most posters resort to (especially on the main board)

RIP

Terribly sad news.

Loved him as a poster like the rest of us

Sending my love to his family and friends

Remove this Banner Ad

Back