Rohan Connolly

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't know if it's been mentioned already and only heard a bit of it on 3AW last night but he really went in to bat for us over the GC issue.
Said things like: "If I were a Kangaroos supporter I wouldn't take this lying down." and "I don't see relocation as a fait accomplis at all."
Didn't get any support of course from the panel but it was nice to hear an alternative view from the media. Hopefully he'll write an article!
Of course the cynic in me could suggest that he's still peeved about missing out on the Chief Football writer's gig so he is just taking a diametrically opposed view to the incumbent!

Whether you agree with his articles or not, one thing about this bloke is that he loves - and knows - the game. He's a bit like Sheahan I reckon. I can't see either of these blokes writing the rot that Walls and Wilson write because they understand the passion that comes with following a footy club.

He's about the best footy journo going around and I'm always disappointed on the rare occasion he gets a fact wrong (doesn't mean I always agree with his opinions, though).

Don't know if it's been mentioned already and only heard a bit of it on 3AW last night but he really went in to bat for us over the GC issue.
Said things like: "If I were a Kangaroos supporter I wouldn't take this lying down." and "I don't see relocation as a fait accomplis at all."
Didn't get any support of course from the panel but it was nice to hear an alternative view from the media. Hopefully he'll write an article!
Of course the cynic in me could suggest that he's still peeved about missing out on the Chief Football writer's gig so he is just taking a diametrically opposed view to the incumbent!

I heard it too - said it several times. I am going to call him during the week and see where he is coming from.

It's funny to think that from the late 90s to about 2002, Connolly was hated by North fans because he seemed to get stuck into us at every chance - or at least, talk down North whilst talking up his beloved Bombers.

But he's been more than fair to us over the past few years, and he's even stuck up for us when other journalists have taken the easy shot at North.

It's funny to think that from the late 90s to about 2002, Connolly was hated by North fans because he seemed to get stuck into us at every chance - or at least, talk down North whilst talking up his beloved Bombers.

But he's been more than fair to us over the past few years, and he's even stuck up for us when other journalists have taken the easy shot at North.

I Know (me in voice of sybil fawlty) I Know I know

way back then my aim was to give him a right old smack in the gob. What's he on??? If he keeps up all this pro north stuff, more for us.

I thought so too. Maybe he hated Deni$ or Carey.

Ive emailed him to say thanks for his support and to keep asking the hard questions of the board and the AFL.

I followed your lead and got the following response:

-Mentions Hawthorn being in a similar situation in 1996.
-If there is a voice it will be heard and in some cases acted upon.
-Hopes the cause for us to stay in North Melbourne continues.

Nice to see. Thanks for posting Harro.

In relation to the 96 Dawks shennanigans, it shouldn't be forgotten that the Melbourne members actually voted in favour of a merge.

Maybe they should be the ones being directed towards Southport?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I got the same reply. Props to Rohan.

No offence Harro, but unless you told him you were going to post his email here word for word, then you should probably take it down.

Emails from Age journalists aren't allowed to be reprinted. It says that in the small print at the bottom.

IMO, unofficially he already is the Chief Football Writer in the age. Has been for some time. Wilson should be known as the chief writer for the "Age believes..." column, that nobody really cares about. May as well be known as the Deep Throat...

Hi (name),

Thanks for the note, appreciate it. This all reminds me a little of the
merger stuff going on in 1996, when for some time there seemed to be a
meek acceptance that a Hawthorn and Melbourne merger was inevitable. I
think in these situations, if an idea is pushed hard enough without any
public questioning or rebuttal, it often ends up becoming a
self-fulfilling prophecy.

You only have to look at the way Hawthorn's support and membership base
rocketed subsequently to see that if the accepted theory is challenged,
differences can be made, and quickly.

I really would hate to see the Roos leave Melbourne. I've seen nothing
to convince me that the Gold Coast is the magic potion some seem to
believe, and knowing a few old passionate Fitzroy fans, I can understand
the wrench involved in losing something so close to their hearts.

Anyway, don't give up the fight. As the Roos (even allowing for Sunday's
shocker) have shown a lot of us this year on the field, the supposed
experts frequently get it wrong.

Cheers
Rohan

- Didn't think he would respond but kudos to him for doing so. He makes a good point regarding the Hawthorn situation I think.
Connolly is 100% right.:thumbsu:

Hi (name),

Thanks for the note, appreciate it. This all reminds me a little of the
merger stuff going on in 1996, when for some time there seemed to be a
meek acceptance that a Hawthorn and Melbourne merger was inevitable. I
think in these situations, if an idea is pushed hard enough without any
public questioning or rebuttal, it often ends up becoming a
self-fulfilling prophecy.

You only have to look at the way Hawthorn's support and membership base
rocketed subsequently to see that if the accepted theory is challenged,
differences can be made, and quickly.

I really would hate to see the Roos leave Melbourne. I've seen nothing
to convince me that the Gold Coast is the magic potion some seem to
believe, and knowing a few old passionate Fitzroy fans, I can understand
the wrench involved in losing something so close to their hearts.

Anyway, don't give up the fight. As the Roos (even allowing for Sunday's
shocker) have shown a lot of us this year on the field, the supposed
experts frequently get it wrong.

Cheers
Rohan

Haahaha. I sent him an email and got the same reply on Monday.
At least he replied which is good. He may be ally for us when the time comes.

I got the same reply. Props to Rohan.

No offence Harro, but unless you told him you were going to post his email here word for word, then you should probably take it down.

Emails from Age journalists aren't allowed to be reprinted. It says that in the small print at the bottom.

Will do Nim - thanks for the heads up.

Just thought other may want to see it and that Rohan wouldn't mind if it were shown in a Pro-North forum.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back