Rise of the Machines - Ask an IT Question Here

Remove this Banner Ad

Finally bought myself a vpn connection.

So cheap, so quick, so easy.

Can't believe I hadn't done this sooner.

Yeah, I've found private internet access is good - I get about 30mb/s of my 120mb/s down but it's still better than ADSL. I've got it programmed into my router so the whole network goes through the vpn when I turn it on, so it doesn't mess with my chromecast.

Yeah, I've found private internet access is good - I get about 30mb/s of my 120mb/s down but it's still better than ADSL. I've got it programmed into my router so the whole network goes through the vpn when I turn it on, so it doesn't mess with my chromecast.
Yep, PIA is who I went with too.

Not automatically switched on, and I haven't enabled the killswitch. Just using it for when I am doing something particularly senstitive, like dealing with a delicate personal matter or downloading entertainment that I did not pay for other such things.

Initially I just thought I could use it as a VPN on my tablet which I was streaming netflix to my chromecast to bypass geoblocking once I found out how dodgy hola really is. But the chromecast then wasn't actually working through the VPN and the content wouldn't stream and there is no way to set a vpn for the chromecast. I was just lucky that I had installed dd-wrt on my router and could run a VPN at the network level to get around that little problem.

Initially I just thought I could use it as a VPN on my tablet which I was streaming netflix to my chromecast to bypass geoblocking once I found out how dodgy hola really is. But the chromecast then wasn't actually working through the VPN and the content wouldn't stream and there is no way to set a vpn for the chromecast. I was just lucky that I had installed dd-wrt on my router and could run a VPN at the network level to get around that little problem.
I didn't even think about using it for Netflix.

Getting on it right now.

Don't forget that British Netflix has separate content again from Australian and US, so you can always use a UK access point too.

Thinking of trying to pick up a cheap PS3, mainly to use for Netflix and/or Stan. Anyone got one they want to sell?

At $50 Google Chromecast might be a better investment if that's the goal. Very portable/easy to use and set up. (Assuming you don't want the PS3 for games)

At $50 Google Chromecast might be a better investment if that's the goal. Very portable/easy to use and set up. (Assuming you don't want the PS3 for games)

Yeah, had thought about that, but we have an ancient (2007) Panasonic plasma that doesn't have any USB ports. I'd have to check whether our blu-ray player handle chromecast, but I doubt it.

Yeah, had thought about that, but we have an ancient (2007) Panasonic plasma that doesn't have any USB ports. I'd have to check whether our blu-ray player handle chromecast, but I doubt it.

new one doesn't need the usb connection. has a power plug in and hdmi connection

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tried PIA last month but cancelled halfway through. Be aware that many of their ips (Japan, Canada, HK) have been tagged by sites like netflix so do not register as the selected location rather the default USA ip.

Tried PIA last month but cancelled halfway through. Be aware that many of their ips (Japan, Canada, HK) have been tagged by sites like netflix so do not register as the selected location rather the default USA ip.

I got through the HK proxy more often than not and Netflix blocks it because they don't have Netflix there. Not sure that's quite what you're describing.

I got through the HK proxy more often than not and Netflix blocks it because they don't have Netflix there. Not sure that's quite what you're describing.

Using a detailed ip checker (iplocation.net) many of the VPN locations with pia have issues with the geolocation tagging. Only really an issue if wanting to access content geo locked e.g. YouTube Netflix.

I've had good experience with ExpressVPN, which is what I use if I want to torrent or get past any geoblocking. Also handy is that it comes with additional configs to use for handheld devices, home network or PS4/XBONE. I might try it out on my PS4 to see if I can access Netflix USA... just need to make a US PSN+ I believe with the console config set up. Very easy to use but lacks in depth customisation.

This whole VPN craze in Australia about the new internet laws is a little over the top, not talking about this thread but it just got me thinking/rambling.

The whole reason the new laws are put in place is so that when a policing body comes along a person of interest and tracks them down to their ISP, their data will be available for access (Which let's face it, has probably been the case for a long time before most people knew what a VPN was).

So if you haven't committed a crime, or plan to - then I wouldn't worry in the slightest.

They're not interested in the average joe, even if the conspiracy people will have you believe, you're more likely to being looked into if you come up using a VPN on their system.

Of course, if you are downloading illegal movies etc then having a VPN is a nice blanket to have but you're not 100% safe by any means, if they want to catch you - they will.

This whole VPN craze in Australia about the new internet laws is a little over the top, not talking about this thread but it just got me thinking/rambling.

The whole reason the new laws are put in place is so that when a policing body comes along a person of interest and tracks them down to their ISP, their data will be available for access (Which let's face it, has probably been the case for a long time before most people knew what a VPN was).

So if you haven't committed a crime, or plan to - then I wouldn't worry in the slightest.

They're not interested in the average joe, even if the conspiracy people will have you believe, you're more likely to being looked into if you come up using a VPN on their system.

Of course, if you are downloading illegal movies etc then having a VPN is a nice blanket to have but you're not 100% safe by any means, if they want to catch you - they will.
maybe true but I love the fact that I can get past geoblocking with a single mouse click.

maybe true but I love the fact that I can get past geoblocking with a single mouse click.
Yep, perfectly fine.

Can use free proxies/VPN's to get the job done for geoblocking but if you want to pay for the service, then go for it!

Just ranting more for the other internet folk (Again not this thread) who think a VPN will make them invisible or something.

It's not a conspiracy considering what has been leaked from the TPP about rights holders being able to seek financial compensation from any IP address linked to improperly accessing copyrighted material. Plus they are going to make the ISPs pay for the systems to track down and prosecute their customers just on the suspicion of piracy = cost increases for us all.

Yep, perfectly fine.

Can use free proxies/VPN's to get the job done for geoblocking but if you want to pay for the service, then go for it!

Just ranting more for the other internet folk (Again not this thread) who think a VPN will make them invisible or something.

Nothing is truly free, for example Hola basically opens you up for them to sell your return bandwidth for completely unkown traffic (most likely botnets). The other free services more than likely run off similar business models.

It's not a conspiracy considering what has been leaked from the TPP about rights holders being able to seek financial compensation from any IP address linked to improperly accessing copyrighted material. Plus they are going to make the ISPs pay for the systems to track down and prosecute their customers just on the suspicion of piracy = cost increases for us all.
The conspiracy part was pre-TPP for the sake of your argument Caiphus.

I have some catching up to do with the TPP but I have read what you said elsewhere online and agree that if you are accessing copyrighted material, then using a VPN is a safer bet then not using one at all.

The best solution is to offer the copyrighted material to the public at better prices/accessibility, let's see what happens over the next few years - Foxtel has started to come to the ball park in the last year, albeit slowly.

Also with the addition of Netflix recently, I find myself pirating very rarely these days - same with online games, I haven't pirated a PC game probably since 2011/2012.

Nothing is truly free, for example Hola basically opens you up for them to sell your return bandwidth for completely unkown traffic (most likely botnets). The other free services more than likely run off similar business models.

Yes, Hola isn't a safe VPN and which is why I do not use it.

So no VPN service is fully anonymous? I know some of them keep logs but the one I'm using doesn't and is based on the British Virgin Islands IIRC. If the feds wanted to track your internet traffic I suppose they would do it anyway even with a supposedly anonymous VPN service.
A VPN is similar to the curtains for the windows of your house, the curtains provide privacy for activities happening inside your house - even though your house address is public.

No VPN can offer total anonymity but it can offer greater privacy.

PIA is regarded as one of the better VPN's in that case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back