RIP Shane Tuck

Remove this Banner Ad

His best game, in my opinion, was the one against Port Adelaide in 2010. It suited his skill set to a tee. He went in so hard in the driving rain and just slammed it forward, fearless and hard as always. Then he fell out of favour with Dimma in 2011 because Dimma was trying to recreate the Hawthorn game plan and that was anathema to a bloke like Tuck. Funny when you think about his family connection with Hawthorn. But he forced his way back into the team and got to play some finals footy. I cried after that win against Port. We were worse than Fitzroy. The bookies had paid out anyone who had bet on us for a wooden spoon. I didn't cry in 2017 funnily enough, but I cried in 2010. I shed some more tears just now reading about this. I don't know what the problem was Tucky. I can speculate but that would be pointless. You were a beautiful enigma - a Tuck with an Ablett mother. If bloodlines meant anything in footy, all you missed was a bit of Rioli to make you worth a billion. You didn't play like that. But Christ we loved what you brought. You and Jacko were the tough minders that freed Cotch up in 2013 to play the style that won him a Brownlow. Your loss from the team has forced him to learn to play a different, more limited role. We have missed you. We will always miss you.

Not Tucky! So young. With a family too.. god damn. Mental health isn't a joke. Take care of yourself out there friends and I'm always willing to chat if ya need it.
Rest in peace Shane.. thanks for all the memories during the dark years. :heart:

His best game, in my opinion, was the one against Port Adelaide in 2010. It suited his skill set to a tee. He went in so hard in the driving rain and just slammed it forward, fearless and hard as always. Then he fell out of favour with Dimma in 2011 because Dimma was trying to recreate the Hawthorn game plan and that was anathema to a bloke like Tuck. Funny when you think about his family connection with Hawthorn. But he forced his way back into the team and got to play some finals footy. I cried after that win against Port. We were worse than Fitzroy. The bookies had paid out anyone who had bet on us for a wooden spoon. I didn't cry in 2017 funnily enough, but I cried in 2010. I shed some more tears just now reading about this. I don't know what the problem was Tucky. I can speculate but that would be pointless. You were a beautiful enigma - a Tuck with an Ablett mother. If bloodlines meant anything in footy, all you missed was a bit of Rioli to make you worth a billion. You didn't play like that. But Christ we loved what you brought. You and Jacko were the tough minders that freed Cotch up in 2013 to play the style that won him a Brownlow. Your loss from the team has forced him to learn to play a different, more limited role. We have missed you. We will always miss you.
Magnificent.

Terrible, terrible news. RIP Tucky, one of my favourite players in our dark years, a guy who gave it his all and got the very best out of himself.

Mental health shouldn’t be taken for granted, if you’re struggling please reach out fellas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

R.I.P. tucky.
Thanks for all you gave the club, thanks for all you gave the supporters.
Thanks for the memories.

He was never the stand out star because he was workmanlike. He lacked pace but was heaps good in close. He had decent skills, but his skills would also regularly let him down. He was a journeyman to a T. He was the typical Tiger of the dark years.

His last couple of years was upsetting to watch as a football fan. He wasn't getting games at all and if he did, it was sparingly. He wasn't part of the future. Why put games into a limited footballer. Why invest in him when we had young players coming through. But unfortunately during that period of time it was tough. We were a team filled with inexperienced players , playing up against hardened men. Losing to GC, losing to Carlton by 100 points or so. Tuck was that lone sandbag that was up against the flood. He protected. He dived in head first. He put his body on the line. He was an honest battler. The most courageous player during that bleak period of time.

I liked him a lot as a player. He was that unpolished rough player that extracted everything that he could from himself. In ever single interview that he had, he was always smiling and shy around the cameras. He was like the big brother, the one that stopped his team mate from being bullied. He was the one that went down there and got the ball to feed to the guns. He was Richmond of the old days.

A funny story from back in the days when he was still playing. Some old boys and girls here would remember this thread. Back in 2012, he was nominated for CGU Most Courageous Player and the public was allowed to vote on who they thing is the most courageous player. The dumb thing back then was that you can vote however many times you want. 54,832 votes for Tuck. He won it by a country mile, followed by St Kilda Pleb at 45,000 or so, then daylight then Scott McMahon at 1400 votes. He is definitely Richmond's most courageous player. If you want to have a read of the thread it's here - https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/cgu-unsung-hero-of-the-year-vote-for-tucky.970713/

It's sad news that Shane is now gone. He was an important and often neglected and forgotten Tiger player but it seems that he holds a place in most people's heart.

RIP Shane. I really feel empty hearing him pass.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

R.I.P Tucky.

You were one of the few reasons I went to the footy in an era when too few were warriors.

Great footage. You forget how much power he had in his kicking and was pretty bloody good kicking for goal.

Always thought we lost some grunt when he and then jacko retired. Can’t believe he’s gone.

I'll never forget that game in Adelaide where he played with a fractured shoulder blade -- just a genuine quality bloke who played honest, tough footy.

So sad to hear of his passing.

RIP Tucky.

Thoughts and prayers with his family.

This is so tragically sad. My family is full of mental illness and suicides, it’s just so sad when it happens.

I’ll always remember that game from about 2013 when we beat the Hawks and Tucky absolutely blasted them in the third or fourth quarter, kicking two goals to seal an amazing win in the wet. He was one of my favourite players during that bleak period.

He was never the stand out star because he was workmanlike. He lacked pace but was heaps good in close. He had decent skills, but his skills would also regularly let him down. He was a journeyman to a T. He was the typical Tiger of the dark years.

His last couple of years was upsetting to watch as a football fan. He wasn't getting games at all and if he did, it was sparingly. He wasn't part of the future. Why put games into a limited footballer. Why invest in him when we had young players coming through. But unfortunately during that period of time it was tough. We were a team filled with inexperienced players , playing up against hardened men. Losing to GC, losing to Carlton by 100 points or so. Tuck was that lone sandbag that was up against the flood. He protected. He dived in head first. He put his body on the line. He was an honest battler. The most courageous player during that bleak period of time.

I liked him a lot as a player. He was that unpolished rough player that extracted everything that he could from himself. In ever single interview that he had, he was always smiling and shy around the cameras. He was like the big brother, the one that stopped his team mate from being bullied. He was the one that went down there and got the ball to feed to the guns. He was Richmond of the old days.

A funny story from back in the days when he was still playing. Some old boys and girls here would remember this thread. Back in 2012, he was nominated for CGU Most Courageous Player and the public was allowed to vote on who they thing is the most courageous player. The dumb thing back then was that you can vote however many times you want. 54,832 votes for Tuck. He won it by a country mile, followed by St Kilda Pleb at 45,000 or so, then daylight then Scott McMahon at 1400 votes. He is definitely Richmond's most courageous player. If you want to have a read of the thread it's here - https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/cgu-unsung-hero-of-the-year-vote-for-tucky.970713/

It's sad news that Shane is now gone. He was an important and often neglected and forgotten Tiger player but it seems that he holds a place in most people's heart.

RIP Shane. I really feel empty hearing him pass.

I forgot about that unsung hero award. Enjoyable reading back through it.

For a parent, the one thing they never anticipate is seeing the burial of a child.

For Michael and Faye (nee Ablett) Tuck, I feel for them.

For the Tuck's and Ablett's, I hope they'll realise what Shane meant to the Tiger faithful.

Bit of an odd memory but some of you may remember our old e-newsletter "jungle beat from the heart of tigerland".

Anyway, I have this particular memory of reading an article on there in early 2005 called Tuck takes off. Terry had given him an opportunity and that was the year he broke out. It was exciting being a 15 year old kid reading things like that. I just went looking through my old hotmail account but couldn't find it.
He was outstanding in such a mediocre side for so long. RIP.

This has been devastating news To hear for me.

Met Tucky only the one time working many many years ago on Bridge Road in Richmond and he was without a doubt the absolute nicest f**king bloke I’ve ever met. Even in that one meeting he had an impact on me. Not a shred of pretension about him. Talked to me like I was one of his mates.

Gutted.

RIP Legend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back