RIP Cam McCarthy

Remove this Banner Ad

There would be a fair few Dockers past and present who would have played with a number of the four players who died prematurely. I’m sure it would be a very flat feeling at the club after this.

They were all there around the same time, so people like Pavlich and Sandilands would have played with all of them.

There would be a fair few Dockers past and present who would have played with a number of the four players who died prematurely. I’m sure it would be a very flat feeling at the club after this.
They were all there around the same time, so people like Pavlich and Sandilands would have played with all of them.
McCarthy was on our list for a few seasons longer than the other two and we’ve got a lot more guys who have played with him than the other three who died. Also seemed much closer with the playing group.

RIP. 29 is so, so young in the scheme of things.

Men's mental health really needs to be a priority in this country right now to prevent tragedies like this.

It doesn't help that when a player like Treloar opened up about his mental health battles with Collingwood Buckley used that information against him and tried to manipulate him with it.

Players are not going to open up about their struggles if clubs do that.

McCarthy was on our list for a few seasons longer than the other two and we’ve got a lot more guys who have played with him than the other three who died. Also seemed much closer with the playing group.

I saw that Balic only played 4 games? Thought he played more. 2 of those games were with McCarthy on the same ground. Seems Sylvia was before that time. Not sure Yarran's playing history in the 1's. Very sad and I think some current players there now would have been playing with these guys - Fyfe, Walters, Taberner, A Pearce were playing during that time period. Even people like Lachie Neale. Feel for these guys too, losing team mates and people they were probably friends with.

I saw that Balic only played 4 games? Thought he played more. 2 of those games were with McCarthy on the same ground. Seems Sylvia was before that time. Not sure Yarran's playing history in the 1's. Very sad and I think some current players there now would have been playing with these guys - Fyfe, Walters, Taberner, A Pearce were playing during that time period. Even people like Lachie Neale. Feel for these guys too, losing team mates and people they were probably friends with.
Baltic, Yarran, Sylvia only played a handful of games each. McCarthy played 50 and was a fan favourite. Seeing a lot of his former teammates all over the league paying tribute on social media.

It doesn't help that when a player like Treloar opened up about his mental health battles with Collingwood Buckley used that information against him and tried to manipulate him with it.

It probably didn’t help that Cam McCarthy’s need to go home wasn’t taken seriously in the first place and was made to sit out for a year.

Very sad and shocking. I remember him at Freo especially. As someone who's been in a pretty dark place mentally I just wonder if this could've been prevented. RIP mate

Usually only makes the news if it's someone famous. And even then it's hush hush and not mentioned as a cause of death. The only give away is the lifeline link at the bottom of the article. I think this is wrong because it hides the issue rather than taking it head on.
Its a difficult call -

On the one hand, when it’s made public, it kind of makes it a ‘solution’ for others to consider.

On the other, hiding it makes it a stigma for those who suffer depression or simply aren’t coping.

Waddya do? 🤷🏻

It probably didn’t help that Cam McCarthy’s need to go home wasn’t taken seriously in the first place and was made to sit out for a year.
May well not have helped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's not good.
For Cam, it is sad, I don't know what else could have been done.

Usually only makes the news if it's someone famous. And even then it's hush hush and not mentioned as a cause of death. The only give away is the lifeline link at the bottom of the article. I think this is wrong because it hides the issue rather than taking it head on.

They dont report the details because it tends to lead to more suicides

RIP. 29 is so, so young in the scheme of things.

Men's mental health really needs to be a priority in this country right now to prevent tragedies like this.

not sure if it's been mentioned, but his birthday was yesterday, may 9 ... you have to wonder if that triggered any of the demons that haunted him
so sad for his family and friends

Young Cameron was able to go home to several strong support systems – his family, his friends (he had heaps), the AFL's extremely available resources, and the South Fremantle Football Club – while still getting paid tens thousands of dollars a week.

He had every avenue and unfortunately it wasn't enough. there a lots of people in similar circumstances who don't have a single one of those things.

With all the movement of GWS and Freo Players over the years there will be players in a lot of teams that would’ve played with him before and known him personally

Gary Dhurrkay is not the only Docker who died in a car accident. Colin Sylvia also.

Awful news. Way too young.

Don’t want to rip on the AFL, but even one ex-player passing in this way is too much, so this news is quite heavy.

29yrs old, his family would be absolutely devastated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back