Roast Rioli's chicken wing tackle on Warnock: MRP failure

Remove this Banner Ad

According to the paper, Porps had his shoulder "yanked" by an Essendon player and had to go off injured.

Interesting - when it's an Essendon player it's a yank and when it's a Carlton player it's a chicken wing tackle.

One of our players delivered a pretty good chicken wing tackle in the Richmond game.

I think it was Carrazzo on Cotchin.
It didn't look to good either, but nothing was said of it as Cotchin (?) just got up and moved on.
Saw that....Rioli's looks worse because he drives Warnock's shoulder to the ground, whereas Carrazzo Jus held his arm out and didn't twist him much further IIRC.

Judd certainly deserved to get suspended because it wasn't his tackle to begin with and there's an instance where you can see he tries to hurt him. I still think 4 weeks was too much though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well Judd had no chance as soon as norf and patch used the HBA theory for what happened to Adams shoulder

Judd came up, pulled my shoulder out and bit me into parts, pieces and then my arm went that way and my shoulder went that way!!!

Sorry cant find the video...

OP is delusional.

Start rubbing blokes out for that and you'll get six guys a week fronting the tribunal. Judd's was late, deliberate and with malicious intent. Rioli's was in the act of play and not unreasonable in terms of trying to dispossess his opponent. Textbook 101 - pin the arm/arms and drop the opponent to the ground. Every now and then one might land awkwardly and get hurt. It's a contact sport, injuries happen. A fact of life. Deal with it.

Some people really need to remove the blue specs here.

OP is delusional.

Start rubbing blokes out for that and you'll get six guys a week fronting the tribunal. Judd's was late, deliberate and with malicious intent. Rioli's was in the act of play and not unreasonable in terms of trying to dispossess his opponent. Textbook 101 - pin the arm/arms and drop the opponent to the ground. Every now and then one might land awkwardly and get hurt. It's a contact sport, injuries happen. A fact of life. Deal with it.

Don't need to have the blue specs on to see that Rioli's tackle was okay until he deliberately pulled Warnock to the ground by the one arm he was holding. The only outcome of such a tackle was going to be a shoulder injury, particularly to a player with a history of shoulder injuries (not unlike Patch Adams). One can only assume you are of a similar school of thought as Bruce McAvaney & believe that everything Rioli does is "delicious."

Don't need to have the blue specs on to see that Rioli's tackle was okay until he deliberately pulled Warnock to the ground by the one arm he was holding. The only outcome of such a tackle was going to be a shoulder injury, particularly to a player with a history of shoulder injuries (not unlike Patch Adams). One can only assume you are of a similar school of thought as Bruce McAvaney & believe that everything Rioli does is "delicious."

There needs to be clarification on what is an acceptable chicken wing tackle. Judd's wasn't OK but was it that much different to the Haw v Ess game where the Essendon player is tackled by another Hawthorn player and is effectively restrained. Rioli then come in and pulls on his arm. If the Hawthorn player had a history of shoulder injuries like Adams ( or Warnock) it could easily have resulted in injury.

The Warnock tackle on the other hand was a case of Rioli tackling an unrestrained player by the arm so is a different circumstance.

OP is delusional.

The irony.
The Warnock tackle on the other hand was a case of Rioli tackling an unrestrained player by the arm so is a different circumstance.
Lewis already had Warnock cold. No need for the chicken wing tackle.

I love how people still say Judd had malicious intent and make him out to be the boogey man. Some of Rioli's tackles, if you can call them that, really aren't much different in the grand scheme of things but because of who they are, they're looked upon differently. Not that I'm surprised.

Rioli's was in the act of play and not unreasonable in terms of trying to dispossess his opponent. Textbook 101 - pin the arm/arms and drop the opponent to the ground.

Dont agree.

Rioli's 3 tackles in the videos all grab an arm and pull to the side and back to bring the player down to ground in the twisting/momentum action - that is effectively what a chicken wing tackle does.

In the second tackle, he comes in fairly late and pulls the arm back/down when the player has obviously been already tied up by another hawks player i.e. was going to be a ball decision.

Rioli's tackles have nothing to do with pinning the arms of the player

Judd certainly deserved to get suspended because it wasn't his tackle to begin with and there's an instance where you can see he tries to hurt him. I still think 4 weeks was too much though

Sorry ... can you tell me what instance that is?

Interesting. If I believed Judd had genuinely tried to hurt Adams shoulder I reckon he should have gone for anywhere up to 7-8 weeks. As it is, I reckon he should have gone for 2-3 weeks.

Well Judd had no chance as soon as norf and patch used the HBA theory for what happened to Adams shoulder

Sorry cant find the video...

There needs to be clarification on what is an acceptable chicken wing tackle. Judd's wasn't OK but was it that much different to the Haw v Ess game where the Essendon player is tackled by another Hawthorn player and is effectively restrained. Rioli then come in and pulls on his arm. If the Hawthorn player had a history of shoulder injuries like Adams ( or Warnock) it could easily have resulted in injury.

What most miss with the Warnock tackle is after Nocka goes to ground Rioli dives on his back and pushes the arm up as he still has hold of it. .. Its partially obscured so you have to look closely. ..

OP is delusional.

Go back to sleep or maybe you should find a new club if you think our captain is a malicious liar :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back