Richmond Friday Night Memories

Remove this Banner Ad

May 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I loved heading to the G" on a friday night, pop in the rooms before the game if they were open (Swooper Northey allowed this) and then sitting in the red seats (just where the steps on the bottom level stopped and it became a ramp) and watching the last qtr of the 2's. If you won on a friday you'd read Saturdays paper on the dunny all week but you would struggle to find an article in the Sunday or Monday papers.
A few fri night highlights
-The scoreboard on fire @ the G
-Chris Pym smashing Carlton
-Jeff Hogg kicking 7 v Bris Rnd 2 1993. These were they days they wouldn't even open the Western Stand if the crowd was small. We'd made the Fosters Cup GF 2 weeks prior and everyone thought we were a good thing. The Flea's last year. One positive was that Duncan Kellaway and Richo debuted that year. (In fact Richo kicked 7 in Dale Weightman's last game I just noticed).

Wow, The Scoreboard on fire at the G was a memory for me. I was at that game but I was still pretty young! Those were the days. I vivdly remember getting my face painted and my grandfather bought me one of those massive foam hands.

I also remember we smashed Collingwood one game and I kept hitting my dad's mate in the face with the foam hand. I got until the 3rd qtr and he just ripped it up on me. lol...stupid Collingwood supporters! :D

My best memory was a non memory of sorts. I cantb remember a single moment of the game other than saying goodbye to every Hawthorn supporter that walked past.I was that far gone

My best memory was a non memory of sorts. I cantb remember a single moment of the game other than saying goodbye to every Hawthorn supporter that walked past.I was that far gone

HaHaHa!!!!
Hopefully this jolts the memory
Rich:16-11-107 Richardson 5, Stafford 4, Ottens 2
Haw:13-15-93 Barlow 2, Cox 2, Thompson 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOg_U1XPRg4
Listen carefully, I do believe you can hear the roarmetre a 00:50.

:)BEATING Carlton in 1988 when the 'Flea' Weightman got about 40 touches, Chris Pym booted three goals and Peter Wilson did a cartwheel after the game.
Got absolutely s***faced, headeed into town to The Tunnel to meet a few mates and picked up what was a good looking chick.
Remember near crawling home to the parents' place at about 10.30am the next day and copping a sever talking to from the old man .... something about the football finished at 10pm, so where the f*** have you been!!!

:)BEATING Carlton in 1988 when the 'Flea' Weightman got about 40 touches, Chris Pym booted three goals and Peter Wilson did a cartwheel after the game.
Got absolutely s***faced, headeed into town to The Tunnel to meet a few mates and picked up what was a good looking chick.
Remember near crawling home to the parents' place at about 10.30am the next day and copping a sever talking to from the old man .... something about the football finished at 10pm, so where the f*** have you been!!!

Must've been wasted if you think there was a good looking chick at the tunnel! Was the darkest nightclub in Australia from memory and the stairwell on the left smelt like vomit.

I have a couple of memories from 1995.

The draw against Essendon. Was sitting right behind the goals 1 level up in the Ponsford. When Stewie Maxfield let loose with that goal late in the game. Will never forget that.

Not sure it was a Friday night. May have even been a Monday night game but we came out all guns blazing to kick 9 goals in the first quarter to blow away the Kangas. Just remember Stuart Edwards having a night out. Also think Nick Daffy kicked 5 or 6.

1995 god i enjoyed the ride that year.

Must've been wasted if you think there was a good looking chick at the tunnel! Was the darkest nightclub in Australia from memory and the stairwell on the left smelt like vomit.

:thumbsu:COVER blown. Sticking to my story, Mitch ... though I was wasted as you point out.
Was a terrible place, but somehow you always still went there!

HaHaHa!!!!
Hopefully this jolts the memory
Rich:16-11-107 Richardson 5, Stafford 4, Ottens 2
Haw:13-15-93 Barlow 2, Cox 2, Thompson 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOg_U1XPRg4
Listen carefully, I do believe you can hear the roarmetre a 00:50.

Nope

It was also the last time I drank before or during a match to excess .

The draw against essendon was good (I remember my Essendon Flat mate being shitty because the Tigers fans still song the song), also a five point win over the pies ( I think it was Friday) when Gales marked the ball 5 time in from of Roca to save the game.

1995 vs North kicking the first 7 or 8 goals of the game and winning by plenty.
vs West Coast when a young Joel Bowden kicked 5 goals and looked a natural forward to all of us and then the clud decided he was a 'defender'.
I remember a Friday night game vs Fitzroy. It was about 6 degrees and Richard Osborne kicked 8. We got shellacked, but I sat there in my sleeveless guernsey and proceeded to get drunk out of my mind and did not feel a thing. As Osborne slotted through his 8th, a 9-year-old Tiger fan yelled out 'Champion? You're not a ****ing champion Osborne you piece of shit!'.

:thumbsu:COVER blown. Sticking to my story, Mitch ... though I was wasted as you point out.
Was a terrible place, but somehow you always still went there!
LOL at the Tunnel. One of my fave memories was dancing on one of the barrels upstairs with some bimbo at 5.30 in the morning.
Remember the Sugarshack? That was dodgy as. Played pool against a very drunk Justin Pickering and Des Ryan one night. Whoever lost had to buy the other pair a stubbie each. Me and my mate beat them about 8 times straight. They were hopeless and I am not the best pool player either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The draw against Essendon. Was sitting right behind the goals 1 level up in the Ponsford. When Stewie Maxfield let loose with that goal late in the game. Will never forget that.
Stuey kicked that after copping a broken jaw earlier that night.:thumbsu:

Disappointed when he moved on:(

Stuey kicked that after copping a broken jaw earlier that night.:thumbsu:

Disappointed when he moved on:(
Was a great game to be at. Only draw I have ever been to. Will never forget that skunk Somerville waiting at the back of the pack like a scab instead of hitting the pack hard. Ball fell into his hands and put them level.:mad:

When youre shitfaced they are all good looking, make sure you have a hacksaw ready to cut your arm off......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back