Richmond 2017-20 v Hawthorn 2012-15

Which side was stronger and had the better period of dominance?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I can’t help you understand what Chris Scott said any better than others have tried.

And you’ll have to help me with Leigh Matthews, I know he said (this year, before the flag) that Geelong are the champion club of the century but where did he say that Richmond are better than Hawthorn?

In the vid I posted. Between 2:15-4:30 mins. He specifically said the word ‘undoubtedly’ we would beat them and all previous generations. Like I’ve been saying all along. Also said Dusty stuff about being one of the best ever players and Dusty is the only person that can be compared to himself.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The answer is Hawthorn pretty comfortably, but it is possible to say that while still conceding the 17-20 Tigers had a great system and managed to get absolutely everything out of a list that at the start of 2017 few thought had one flag in them let alone three.

I also don’t really get why Richmond folk should even care to be honest. They won 3 flags in 4 years for goodness sake, most supporters would kill for that. There’s no shame in being the weaker dynasty of the two; that Hawthorn side was damn good.
But this thread wasn't started by a tiger supporter, i thought i'd let you know.

Good idea - what do you think Chris?

“With the greatest respect to them (Richmond), they’re not Hawthorn in the multiple premiership years in a row, I don’t think.

“I don’t think they’re Geelong, St Kilda or Collingwood through that sort of 2009/10 period either.”

Thanks Falcon, case closed.
Well, he said this before he was humiliated once more in 2020’s Grand Final. Since then he’s been eating some humble pie, for sure. He went to Richmond’s box to congratulate Dimma. I have heard him calling Richmond a dynasty in one of his press conferences this year.

He kept Grigg as his assistant coach while he got rid of most of the others. He started playing more kids instead of relying on his geriatrics and improved, that way, Geelong’s pressure and defence all around the ground. Took a page from the most successful team in recent times.

He finally has pretty much shut up about Richmond completely, which is another sign of him maturing as a person. If anything, when he talks about the Tigers, he is complementary. Unlike the Geelong trolls who don’t seem to know anything about their own coach...

But this thread wasn't started by a tiger supporter, i thought i'd let you know.
Lol fair, but there are plenty of Tigers supporters who seem to take it to heart when it’s suggested that they weren’t as strong as some of the other all-time great sides, as if it somehow devalues the three flags they got. It doesn’t - they’re worth just as much as the ones that the ‘stronger’ sides got.

Both Hawthorn and Richmond during their eras had a bit of a habit of doing just enough during the regular season, before stepping it up in finals. So any H&A head-to-head type comparison is pretty meaningless IMHO.

I think Hawthorn get the edge because of their physicality. Both Sydney 2014 and WCE 2015 had a few moments where they were seriously looking over their shoulders, so I think they might have been able to bang some Richmond bodies and put them off their natural stregnths.

Lol fair, but there are plenty of Tigers supporters who seem to take it to heart when it’s suggested that they weren’t as strong as some of the other all-time great sides, as if it somehow devalues the three flags they got. It doesn’t - they’re worth just as much as the ones that the ‘stronger’ sides got.
Well I can tell you personally that we are generally one of the most humble supporters going around and we are very appreciative of what we achieved with the list we had which really only has one true champion player.

In the vid I posted. Between 2:15-4:30 mins. He specifically said the word ‘undoubtedly’ we would beat them and all previous generations. Like I’ve been saying all along. Also said Dusty stuff about being one of the best ever players and Dusty is the only person that can be compared to himself.

83% hawks 17% tigers… and that 17% is entirely Richmond fans voting.

Are you starting to catch wind of where the general AFL consensus puts that Richmond side in comparison to other past sides?? My original posts which sent your fan base nuts are basically being mirrored by the general supporter base

Are you starting to catch wind of where the general AFL consensus puts that Richmond side in comparison to other past sides?? My original posts which sent your fan base nuts are basically being mirrored by the general supporter base
Yes indeed, do you need to take another shower knowing that your cats lost the unlosable 2020 GF to a such lowly bunch of plodders?:$

Last edited:
Yes indeed, do you need to take another shower knowing that your cats lost the unlosable 2020 GF to a such lowly bunch of plodders?:$
The fact that Geelong 2020 side made a GF is laughable enough. Our '22 side though - two games and % clear on top of the ladder and waltzed through the finals. Your mob's making a bit of a habit of ducking out of the real stuff when a serious side comes along, hey? :winkv1:

The fact that Geelong 2020 side made a GF is laughable enough. Our '22 side though - two games and % clear on top of the ladder and waltzed through the finals. Your mob's making a bit of a habit of ducking out of the real stuff when a serious side comes along, hey? :winkv1:
So the answer is yes you are totally embarassed and still salty, thanks for being honest for once.

i voted hawks but still got more respect for richmond’s 3 in 4 over the hawks threepeat since the talent pool was so diluted during 2013-2015. it’s still pretty bad now too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is why BF polls are dumb. People are so out of touch on here. They all think they know more than Chris Scott and Lethal (in regards to Dusty). Quite unbelievable.

"Hey bigfooty, in your opinion, who had the better side?

Falcon3518 sees the poll results - "See, this is why Bigfooty is dumb!".

Sorry that your favourite team isn't widely regarded as the better side mate :thumbsu:

Get back to me when you're on a 16 game winning streak.

I have never claimed us to be a top side in 2020, I think it’s laughable we were your big baddest opponent and even our own fans thought we were extremely flawed. You guys beat up on crap teams for all 3 flags you won. Hence the ridiculously skewed poll. The general AFL public just doesn’t rate the Richmond flags that highly compares to other eras

The one where he said “you can’t compare eras” and that “footy has improved”?

But if you are happy to take everything Matthews says as gospel, even if you misunderstand it, his subsequent statement that Geelong is the champion team of the century must also be true to you?

It’s a funny argument put by some that Richmond beat nobody in their run of flags. If the tigers didn’t beat Geelong in each of those years the cats would have most likely taken another couple of flags and been thought of as arguably the greatest side of all time. Richmond beat them consistently (in finals) yet get little credit for it.

History may have also remembered a couple of the other sides from the era more fondly if they weren’t beaten by very strong Richmond and Geelong sides when it mattered.

As a tiger fan who lived through 3 decades of irrelevance before the recent success, I’m very happy to even be in the conversation about comparing dynasties. Goes without saying that I’d to see us pinch another one to strengthen the Richmond argument further.

It’s a funny argument put by some that Richmond beat nobody in their run of flags. If the tigers didn’t beat Geelong in each of those years the cats would have most likely taken another couple of flags and been thought of as arguably the greatest side of all time. Richmond beat them consistently (in finals) yet get little credit for it.

History may have also remembered a couple of the other sides from the era more fondly if they weren’t beaten by very strong Richmond and Geelong sides when it mattered.

As a tiger fan who lived through 3 decades of irrelevance before the recent success, I’m very happy to even be in the conversation about comparing dynasties. Goes without saying that I’d to see us pinch another one to strengthen the Richmond argument further.
Winning another flag would be its own seperate entity. Doesn’t strengthen your teams case just like Hawks 2008 doesn’t

Back