Summer Review: Tokyo 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
Firstly a huge thank you to RussellEbertHandball for your tireless work in multiple threads during two weeks. Your wealth of knowledge and passion for the Olympics ensures these threads are full of valuable information, stats and videos. Another very big thank you Drummond for your work every single night in posting the daily thread and upcoming events for the day. There are many other posters who I will thank as a collective for making these 2 and a bit weeks an absolute pleasure to comment along with. The collective passion we share for sport made these OG more enjoyable to watch as we felt the bumps, highs and lows together.

A huge shout out to the IOC, Tokyo and Japan for delivering an Olympic Games in the most difficult of circumstances one could imagine. I feel very sad for the people of Japan that they could not be there in person to witness the events. I know there was a lot of negativity and pessimism heading into the OG, but one can only hope that the majority of Japanese people have ridden the highs of the past two weeks. Their athletes have put on a display that probably outdid expectations. I look forward to visiting Japan one day.

Last and certainly not the least, the athletes (inc: AOC, coaches and support staff). 5 years of waiting to get to this moment. Having to train through a pandemic. Reorganise their entire training programs after Tokyo being delayed a year. Uncertainty. Lack of competition. They have been phenomenal. The passion, spirit, camaraderie, competitiveness, desire and teamwork they have shown.

So now we come to the review. What were your highlights of these OG? It doesn't have to be a ranking or top 5 or anything. Just things you have loved and will remember going forward.

• Boomers (honestly this is a moment to remember for years to come) :greenheart::yellowheart:
  • Emma McKeon with 7 medals and becoming an Australian swimming icon
  • Jess Fox (to overcome the setbacks)
  • Filipino weightlifter Hidilyn Diaz winning her country's first ever gold
  • Titmus vs Ledecky 400m Freestyle final
  • 4*100m medley final
  • Kaylee McKeown100/200 double and post race interview (heck yeah)
  • Peter Bol (first Aussie in the 800m in over 50 years. This accomplishment, amazing)
  • Double gold in the men's high jump (for me one of the moments of the games)
  • Logan Martin dominated in the BMX
  • Moloney and Dubler in the Decathlon
  • Channel 7 and 7plus (Media companies often cop a lot of slack. They were fantastic overall)
  • Harry Garside
  • The Volleyball tournament was absolutely enthralling
  • 400m hurdles final won in WR time
  • Men's 4x100m track relay won by Italy
  • Indian winning the Javelin

Tokyo 2020 you have been:greenheart::yellowheart: I have never shed so many tears watching sport in all my life.

Don't be sad it's over. Be grateful they happened :)

Great call. These games have been so memorable, just what the world needed I feel. A chance for us to come together and witness humanity, in a time when so many of us are separated.

Must echo the gratitude to RussellEbertHandball who is the gold medalist of this forum. His knowledge, passion and ability to source information, has made this place the go-to site for us all, so thanks again mate.

My highlights are very similar to yours pepsi, I said in another thread that I think Jess Fox’s gold is my most memorable Australian gold of my memory, behind only Cathy Freeman. Being able to share it as a nation with her dad, just made it so intimate, won’t ever forget it.

Hidilyn Diaz in the weightlifting still makes me teary eyed. We are spoiled here by our athlete’s performances and the resources made available to them. Seeing her face, when she realised she had it, is just an amazing sight and wonderful for women in her country.

The Boomers. I’ve been waiting my entire life and even today it feels like a dream. Then Gazey on Shinya, the way he speaks about the Olympics and the ideals of it, shows that in spite of the associated circus that sometimes accompanies them, at their core, they are still simple and beautiful. Love you Patty.

Cedric and Ash, just brilliant. Would love to buy Cedric a beer one day. The swimming golden girls, say no more. The volunteer who nearly died of fright from Boxall’s celebration, just loved her. Really, really enjoyed the sports climbing, incredible athletes and take a decent brain too. One thing about all the new sports, was the comraderie among the competitors, none more so than the Filipino park skater, Margie, she was a gem. And finally Owen Wright grabbing bronze, so happy for him after everything he’s been through.

I think one thing that has made these games feel so special has been the 7+ app. It wasn’t perfect sure but for the first time in our lives, we could watch what we wanted, not what we were told to watch. Late night volleyball sessions with the BF crew will be missed.

Edit: must add my lowlight. Watching Saya Sakakibara crash made me sick to my stomach, how her mother still watches her race, I have no idea. Was so relieved when it was revealed she was ok.

Amazing work by Tokyo and the Japanese under unimaginable circumstances. I hope the investment has been worth it and this event doesn’t hinder them. I feel for the athletes, not having crowds and family there and it will hit me tonight, not seeing seeing them all march in and mingle, to continue that tradition. I guess the good part is the Paris is only 3 years away but I’m still going to feel a huge hole after this.

Thanks all for making it memorable, the Battler’s Prince says see you in 2024.

CDDB24BB-7B1B-438A-8D6D-7CC694E173B3.jpeg

Last edited:
Swimming (9G, 3S, 9B)
Kaylee McKeown, swimming, women's 100m backstroke
Australia, swimming, women's 4x100m freestyle relay
Australia, swimming, women's 4x100m medley relay
Ariarne Titmus, swimming, 400m freestyle
Ariarne Titmus, swimming, women's 200m freestyle
Izaac Stubblety-Cook, swimming, men's 200m breaststroke
Emma McKeon, swimming, women's 100m freestyle
Kaylee McKeown, swimming, women's 200m backstroke
Emma McKeon, swimming, 50m freestyle

Jack McLoughlin, swimming, men's 400m freestyle
Kyle Chalmers, swimming, men's 100m freestyle
Ariarne Titmus, swimming, women's 800m freestyle

Australia, swimming, men's 4x100m freestyle relay
Australia, swimming, men's 4x200m freestyle relay
Brendon Smith, swimming, men's 400m individual medley
Emma McKeon, swimming, women's 100m butterfly
Australia, men's 4x200m freestyle relay
Cate Campbell, swimming, women's 100m freestyle
Emily Seebohm, swimming, women's 200m backstroke
Australia, swimming, mixed 4x100m medley relay
Kareena Lee, marathon swimming, women's 10km

Rowing (2G, 2B)
Australia, rowing, men's four
Australia, rowing, women's four

Australia, rowing, men's quadruple sculls
Australia, rowing, women's quadruple sculls

Canoe (2G, 2B)
Australia, canoe sprint, men's kayak double 1000m
Jessica Fox, canoe slalom, women's canoe

Jessica Fox, canoe slalom, women's kayak

Cycling (1G, 2B)
Logan Martin, BMX freestyle, men's park
Rohan Dennis, cycling road, men's individual time trial
Australia, cycling track, men's team pursuit

Athletics (1S, 2B)
Nicola McDermott, athletics, women's high jump
Ashley Moloney, athletics, men's decathlon
Kelsey-Lee Barber, athletics, women's javelin

Sailing (2G)
Matt Wearn, sailing, men's one person dinghy - laser
Australia, sailing, men's two person dinghy

Horsies (1S, 1B)
Australia, equestrian, eventing team
Andrew Hoy, equestrian, eventing individual

Others (1G, 2S, 5B)
Keegan Palmer, skateboarding, men's park
Artacho Del Solar/Clancy, beach volleyball, women
Australia, hockey, men

Owen Wright, surfing, men
Australia, basketball, men
Melissa Wu, diving, women's 10m platform
Harry Garside, boxing, men's light
Barty / Peers, tennis, mixed doubles

Gotta say that I'm really going to miss the Olympics tomorrow, this is the most I've watched and enjoyed an Olympics since Sydney 2000. Proabably a number of factors for this, Australia friendly time-zone, locked down with nothing else to do, and the performance of Australian athletes.

This honestly could have been the best games ever in an alternate universe without covid, the only things missing were fans and a happier opening ceremony celebrating Japanese pop-culture.

Japan have done an exceptional job running these games more or less without incident, I don't think many other countries could have pulled this off. I honestly wouldn't mind Tokyo been given the games again in the not to distance future to make up for it, as all the venues already exist they could spend minimal money to run it again, and then give the Japanese spectators who missed out on seeing it the chance to, at the same time making up some lost revenue in the process. Tokyo 2040 has a nice ring to it.

Not sure if it's a good thing that only 2 of our golds has nothing to do with Water.

We really are a water nation.

my personal #1 highlight was Jess Fox. just an awesome sight of a champion overcoming failure to put in an exceptional performance. Others
I don't think I have enjoyed a football match as much as I have enjoyed the Matildas beating GB. Or a hockey match as the Kooks v Netherlands in the quarter-final. Or a mixed tennis match as Barty/Peers v Rublev/Pav.

Best non-Aussie moment. Mima Ito and Japan winning the mixed table tennis over China. A home crowd would have loved that. Really got into that. Fiji winning gold in Rugby is always a special moment. They play the right way. Special kudos go to the South Korean Archery team, for basically being Robin Hood. always a highlight every 4 years.

Just looking at wikipedia and all the sports I have watched and all the moments. This timezone has been golden and I have way too much. Had an aim to watch a medal event in every sport. Almost did it. Just didn't catch a Karate, Badminton or Boxing medal bout. big hole in my life incoming. The best thing, It is only 3!!!!!!!!!! years til the next one.

Also, I hope you keep the Athletics commentary team and 7+ seven. The best coverage of any summer games we ever had.

Great call. These games have been so memorable, just what the world needed I feel. A chance for us to come together and witness humanity, in a time when so many of us are separated.

Must echo the gratitude to RussellEbertHandball who is the gold medalist of this forum. His knowledge, passion and ability to source information, has made this place the go-to site for us all, so thanks again mate.

My highlights are very similar to yours pepsi, I said in another thread that I think Jess Fox’s gold is my most memorable Australian gold of my memory, behind only Cathy Freeman. Being able to share it as a nation with her dad, just made it so intimate, won’t ever forget it.

Hidilyn Diaz in the weightlifting still makes me teary eyed. We are spoiled here by our athlete’s performances and the resources made available to them. Seeing her face, when she realised she had it, is just an amazing sight and wonderful for women in her country.

The Boomers. I’ve been waiting my entire life and even today it feels like a dream. Then Gazey on Shinya, the way he speaks about the Olympics and the ideals of it, shows that in spite of the associated circus that sometimes accompanies them, at their core, they are still simple and beautiful. Love you Patty.

Cedric and Ash, just brilliant. Would love to buy Cedric a beer one day. The swimming golden girls, say no more. The volunteer who nearly died of fright from Boxall’s celebration, just loved her. Really, really enjoyed the sports climbing, incredible athletes and take a decent brain too. One thing about all the new sports, was the comraderie among the competitors, none more so than the Filipino park skater, Margie, she was a gem. And finally Owen Wright grabbing bronze, so happy for him after everything he’s been through.

I think one thing that has made these games feel so special has been the 7+ app. It wasn’t perfect sure but for the first time in our lives, we could watch what we wanted, not what we were told to watch. Late night volleyball sessions with the BF crew will be missed.

Edit: must add my lowlight. Watching Saya Sakakibara crash made me sick to my stomach, how her mother still watches her race, I have no idea. Was so relieved when it was revealed she was ok.

Amazing work by Tokyo and the Japanese under unimaginable circumstances. I hope the investment has been worth it and this event doesn’t hinder them. I feel for the athletes, not having crowds and family there and it will hit me tonight, not seeing seeing them all march in and mingle, to continue that tradition. I guess the good part is the Paris is only 3 years away but I’m still going to feel a huge hole after this.

Magnificent review. Loved reading it :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1200140

Your lowlight was mine too. Saya crashing genuinely made me feel sick, especially after watching the interviews/packages with her brother, who was recovering from a brain injury. I am not sure I can watch that sport in Paris...

Highlight was Tassie's own Ariarne Titmus. Set the tone for our entire swim team and beat a legend. It was that moment that we knew a repeat of the disaster in Rio wasn't going to happen. Titmus' win also made up for having to watch the Harvey Norman ads - I hope she got a fat bonus out of Gerry for winning.

Jess Fox was a close number two. Incredible performance given the expectations and pressure.

Thanks for the shout out pepsi and Royces Hart.

Gotta thank the Japanese for their well known technological efficiency. The official website was so good at putting up the info so quickly on things like lap splits, records etc, compared to previous games it was pretty straight forward to put that info in here.

Same with World Athletics on their official site and other international sports federations and Australian sports sites as well.

Then there are all the relevant twitter sites I used that were great and a big shout out to the 7Olympics twitter account for so quickly putting up videos of events I saw, or missed or wanted to see again and the interviews with athletes. I used quite a few media both national and international twitter sites, but visited very few media official websites as twitter was so good with content.

Its hard to minimize highlights to a few, but as an old 800/1500m runner, watching Peter Bol and Stewart McSweyn have a real chance to win warmed my heart after years of seeing no Aussie in these events.

2 moments that highlight the great Aussie spirit was Cedric Dubler captain coaching Ash Moloney to a bronze medal, a medal in a decathlon an Aussie has never gotten close to winning.

The other was Logan Martin, his bloody amazing tricks were great to watch, and made me shake my head, smile, laugh and say how the bloody hell did he do that, but I love the story that when Covid hit, he said heck it, Im gonna built my own circuit in my back yard and not waste my time in lockdown. He pissed off some neighbours, but hats off to the council official who approved it. Hope someone pays to throw a BBQ in his backyard for his neighbours and his family, and the council official and let the local kids - and any adults if they are game - have a go on his circuit.

There are so many others I could go on but I posted this in the volleyball thread and said its gonna make my memorable moments.

You don't have to understand a word of French to understand and enjoy this. That little smirk the French coach gives is a classic.

And the French men won the gold medal.

Last edited:
Woohoo. I actually enjoyed everything I watched. Gave lots of things a go. Loved the standards in swimming and track and field. Loved the marathons. Also enjoyed lesser lights- the traditional volleyball, badminton, equestrian-had a look at Greco Roman wrestling, fencing, triple jump and so on. Honestly though it was all great. 7 did a good job. The 7plus was an absolute boon. Thorpe very good. Bruce still good. Even Hamish was more convincing than usual.
Enjoyed the discussion on here. Thanks everyone.
Can’t wait for Paris and 3 years doesn’t seem too long I must say.

Oh and one more thing- I suspect the time zone couldn‘t have been much better for us here. So that was a terrific thing. Paris will be tougher I presume but I am up for it!
Absolutely! I keep saying it, my proper review is coming, but I was even thinking today of the 2am finals in Paris and the BigFooty crew being awake for it! Bring it on.

Oh and one more thing- I suspect the time zone couldn‘t have been much better for us here. So that was a terrific thing. Paris will be tougher I presume but I am up for it!
Yep Asian time zone makes it so much better.

1988 I was living in Toronto so it was a shitty time zone and I thought Im never gonna watch a games top events at a decent time. 2008 was magnificient Olympics to watch because of a combo of plenty of success and time zone just like 2020 2021 Tokyo was and Brisbane 2032 will be.

Paris 7pm-11pm finals will be tough as its 3am-7am EST stuff. LA 2028 will actually be better if you can get daytime off or allowed to have a telly at work. LA 7pm-11pm finals are 12 noon to 4pm EST

I want to echo everyone else that has praised 7+.

Held up well during the entirety of the Games, and it was essentially one click access to every live sport during the event. A massive winner and I hope they continue this with future Olympics.

It's obviously the timezone that helps because possibly the last time a summer Olympics was this enjoyable was Beijing 2008, but even Europe and the US and the rest of the world seem to have given this a thumbs up. Tokyo 2020 has proven that there is still some life in the Olympics yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back