Toast Remembering John McCarthy

Remove this Banner Ad

J-Mac Always Remembered ... written by Ben Mitchell (@Mitchells_FP)

This weekend is the first time John McCarthy's former teams face each other since his passing.

There will be a mutual respect shared between the players and coaches. We would love that respect to be shared with the fans from both clubs.

We admire the Round 2 tribute game against GWS the club had. We all remember the temporary memorial in front of the Port Club in the Port Club and the Alberton Scoreboard. Many would remember McCarthy's funeral service streamed to a big screen at Alberton.

We all remember that beard he was so proud of!

As a mark of honour we are asking all Collingwood/Port supporters to wear their J-Mac badge (if possible) to honour John's career as he will be watching over the game.

Please Share

RIP J-MAC

The Port Adelaide Football Club Supporter's Page asked us to share this message on bigfooty
and with our Collingwood Fans.

Looking forward to a BIG Game this weekend!

Hope ok Ford Fairlane?
1017216_591680920855431_1404756691_n.jpg

can someone bump that thread on your board from that week - many powerful images captured.

my personal favourite - said so much from our clubs point of view.

13778.jpg

great idea - done :thumbsu:

Back in September last year I became a Moderator of the Collingwood BigFooty forum.

I had been assured by the existing mods, Quicky and Swooop that it was all fairly straightforward.

They lied.

The first day I was a mod left to myself was Monday the 10th September (AEST). At lunchtime that day I ordered an anti-pasto salad and sat down to eat it in small courtyard nearby. A magpie flew into that courtyard and hang around at my feet for the whole hour I spent there. I didn't eat much that day - I let the magpie peck at my salad.

And over the course that hour I watched on my iPhone the terrible story unfold of rumour, then confirmed rumour of JMac's passing in Vegas.

I don't feel it's necessary to revisit the detailed events of that day. But for those who want to the thread is here.

A week or so after that day I saw the footage of the Collingwood team at JMac's funeral. I saw the footage of the team bus stopping on the side of the road somewhere on the Mornington Peninsula so they could change out of their black mourning suits. So sad.

I went to see Collingwood play up here at ANZ stadium in that final against the Swans. They tried, but their hearts were clearly elsewhere - that's not taking anything away from the Swan's good win.

So here I am today again in that same courtyard with my anti-pasto salad. No magpies here now, it's bucketing down with rain. I'm sitting under the eaves in the only dry spot.

I'm thinking about an ex-Collingwood player who was always up and about and who always left everything out on the field. I remember being really pleased seeing him do well at Port. He got good opportunities and he grabbed them.

I'm thinking about that player's family and girlfriend and mates and team-mates and I hope they're doing OK.

Vale JMac.

Was at the Port V GWS game at the start of the year for the first remembrance, it was very touching and also sad to see a few of the Port players tear up when talking in the pre-recorded interviews showed on the big screen.

Back in September last year I became a Moderator of the Collingwood BigFooty forum.

I had been assured by the existing mods, Quicky and Swooop that it was all fairly straightforward.

They lied.

The first day I was a mod left to myself was Monday the 10th September (AEST). At lunchtime that day I ordered an anti-pasto salad and sat down to eat it in small courtyard nearby. A magpie flew into that courtyard and hang around at my feet for the whole hour I spent there. I didn't eat much that day - I let the magpie peck at my salad.

And over the course that hour I watched on my iPhone the terrible story unfold of rumour, then confirmed rumour of JMac's passing in Vegas.

I don't feel it's necessary to revisit the detailed events of that day. But for those who want to the thread is here.

A week or so after that day I saw the footage of the Collingwood team at JMac's funeral. I saw the footage of the team bus stopping on the side of the road somewhere on the Mornington Peninsula so they could change out of their black mourning suits. So sad.

I went to see Collingwood play up here at ANZ stadium in that final against the Swans. They tried, but their hearts were clearly elsewhere - that's not taking anything away from the Swan's good win.

So here I am today again in that same courtyard with my anti-pasto salad. No magpies here now, it's bucketing down with rain. I'm sitting under the eaves in the only dry spot.

I'm thinking about an ex-Collingwood player who was always up and about and who always left everything out on the field. I remember being really pleased seeing him do well at Port. He got good opportunities and he grabbed them.

I'm thinking about that player's family and girlfriend and mates and team-mates and I hope they're doing OK.

Vale JMac.

thanks for sharing 76woodenspooners :thumbsu:

Thank you for putting this post on our board, 76woodenspooners -

I've been sitting here for several minutes, fingers poised over the keyboard, trying to think of something to write that would add something to the deep feel that you've generated...

Decided it's not needed. You've said it right and you've said it fully.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tough memories.
Such a painful period of time for this club that got thrown into very harsh perspective.
All the players from that period will always have a place with me because of it. They dealt with so much and grew up in a way you never wish on anyone.
Such a credit to the players and admin for how they manage to grieve and come through the situation.
RIP JMac.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back