Relocation within Melbourne?

Remove this Banner Ad

The important thing about such a move is it would have to be a proper relocation - moving the club HQ, training facilities and most importantly, home games. Properly basing the club somewhere near a huge swath of population and giving them more convenient football than the CBD.

The Suburban Rail Loop would be huge in terms of this and offer further opportunities. It’s the first time something of that magnitude has a good chance of going ahead and it will be part of the revolution of how people move around Melbourne - its not all about the CBD like it has been in the past.
What that overpriced white elephant that won’t be completed until we are all dead?

I think you need to go further out into the south east to get true advantage. No point moving 25km and expecting to pull a whole new supporter base.

Go right out to Cranbourne/Berwick where it’s an hour away from the city and you might start to develop a local following and identity similar to that which Geelong enjoy.

A small thing but it’s worth noting that when the new metro Tunnel opens the Pakenham/Cranbourne line will no longer run direct through to Richmond station. I think this will have an effect on the amount of people willing to travel in for the footy, going from a direct trip of 50 odd minutes to a longer trip that will require a change of train at sth Yarra station.

This will provide further separation of a huge population living at the end of the Pakenham/Cranbourne line

Last edited:
A small thing but it’s worth noting that when the new metro Tunnel opens the Pakenham/Cranbourne line will no longer run direct through to Richmond station. I think this will have an effect on the amount of people willing to travel in for the footy, going from a direct trip of 50 odd minutes to a longer trip that will require a change of train at sth Yarra station.

This will provide further separation of a huge population living at the end of the Pakenham/Cranbourne line
The tunnel bypasses South Yarra, so you'd have to change at Caulfield or Flinders St.

The tunnel bypasses South Yarra, so you'd have to change at Caulfield or Flinders St.
Yeah, You may right with Caulfield. All I remember reading was that the line would not continue on to Richmond and being annoyed at having to change trains to get to the G or Flinders street, which it also will not go to. It will run to the new station across from the shrine instead.
Anyway, my point is the same. This change will be a deterrent for those who catch public transport into the footy on that line.

Yeah, You may right with Caulfield. All I remember reading was that the line would not continue on to Richmond and being annoyed at having to change trains to get to the G or Flinders street, which it also will not go to. It will run to the new station across from the shrine instead.
Anyway, my point is the same. This change will be a deterrent for those who catch public transport into the footy on that line.
I'd imagine that even after the tunnel construction, there will still be switching points in place that would allow Pakenham and Cranbourne trains to run towards Richmond, if only so that services can still run through to the CBD if the tunnel is out of action for any reason. It's possible that on game days they'll run special event services on the old alignment using those points, which would keep it convenient. But on a daily basis, you can't give everyone a single seat journey everywhere unfortunately. Otherwise you get too much congestion in the City Loop.

I'd imagine that even after the tunnel construction, there will still be switching points in place that would allow Pakenham and Cranbourne trains to run towards Richmond, if only so that services can still run through to the CBD if the tunnel is out of action for any reason. It's possible that on game days they'll run special event services on the old alignment using those points, which would keep it convenient. But on a daily basis, you can't give everyone a single seat journey everywhere unfortunately. Otherwise you get too much congestion in the City Loop.
Seems ridiculous to cut off the busiest train line from Flinders street and sports precinct at all. You have more faith in those working on this than I do (and I work in the field lol). Lets hope gameday trains to the G are included. With games on 3-4 days a week its a tough ask scheduling wise.

There will be more train changes (as happens in Richmond and nth Melbourne now) but here will also be more trains

I think the change in the loop from anti clockwise to clockwise in the afternoon might eventually cease, at least in some part

I think you need to go further out into the south east to get true advantage. No point moving 25km and expecting to pull a whole new supporter base.

Go right out to Cranbourne/Berwick where it’s an hour away from the city and you might start to develop a local following and identity similar to that which Geelong enjoy.

That is crap, but do you think having to take 10 minutes extra to get to a game would make anyone change teams?

That is crap, but do you think having to take 10 minutes extra to get to a game would make anyone change teams?
No, I’m saying I’m less likely to go in with my kids if it’s harder to get there. Over time if people aren’t going regularly the next generation might look to a local option, particularly if it’s marketed well.

I said it was a small point but it will have an impact on crowds I reckon.

Seems ridiculous to cut off the busiest train line from Flinders street and sports precinct at all. You have more faith in those working on this than I do (and I work in the field lol). Lets hope gameday trains to the G are included. With games on 3-4 days a week its a tough ask scheduling wise.
It won't be cut off from Flinders Street, the new station at Town Hall is across the road from it and connected by a walkway. And do many people travel to the sports precinct by train outside of gameday? Even if they do, transferring is not that big a deal if services are coming frequently.

It won't be cut off from Flinders Street, the new station at Town Hall is across the road from it and connected by a walkway. And do many people travel to the sports precinct by train outside of gameday? Even if they do, transferring is not that big a deal if services are coming frequently.
I’m talking about the impact on game day and it will be enough for me to no longer do it with my family. I reckon others will feel the same.

No, I’m saying I’m less likely to go in with my kids if it’s harder to get there. Over time if people aren’t going regularly the next generation might look to a local option, particularly if it’s marketed well.

I said it was a small point but it will have an impact on crowds I reckon.
So if Melbourne was playing home games in Cranbourne, you would go to those games rather than Richmond games?

So if Melbourne was playing home games in Cranbourne, you would go to those games rather than Richmond games?
I’m saying in time that would happen with kids, definitely. And yes I would go watch some AFL games as a neutral footy fan if it was local to me. (Cranbourne not quite my area but I’d go see games within 20 minutes or so of me if it was a good game, for sure).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're talking a 30 year strategy and a permanent commitment. An actual relocation as the thread title says.

Training and playing all your home games there. Showering all the local schools and junior clubs with player visits and cheap family tickets.

A VFL team with players drawn from local clubs.

If people have that from an AFL team within say, 15-20 mins from home, yes they will definitely take their kids along. And it goes from there.

It'd take a few decades but a similar club to Geelong is more than possible. In fact, the population is much larger than Geelong.

The reality is, you're looking a club like St Kilda to choose that over their ongoing struggles.

We're talking a 30 year strategy and a permanent commitment. An actual relocation as the thread title says.

Training and playing all your home games there. Showering all the local schools and junior clubs with player visits and cheap family tickets.

A VFL team with players drawn from local clubs.

If people have that from an AFL team within say, 15-20 mins from home, yes they will definitely take their kids along. And it goes from there.

It'd take a few decades but a similar club to Geelong is more than possible. In fact, the population is much larger than Geelong.

The reality is, you're looking a club like St Kilda to choose that over their ongoing struggles.
Don’t reckon so. Look what happened when they tried to move their HQ to Seaford.
No club is stupid enough to think about relocating to the outer suburbs of Melbourne. Not even St Kilda.

With Hawthorn and North losing their Tassie cash, one of them would do well to start working with a local council with a view to playing 4 games per year in front of 15k - 20k people at Cranbourne or Frankston. With Hawthorn moving to Dingley, maybe it's them.

Population growth is not slowing. In 30 years' time they could be the Geelong of the other side of the bay.

It would be a quick death if any club were to relocate or play more than a game or two in the outer suburbs or anywhere outside of the major, central stadiums. Why would you risk alienating hundreds of thousands of existing supporters all across Melbourne, all of who can be at MCG or Docklands within an hour?

With Hawthorn and North losing their Tassie cash, one of them would do well to start working with a local council with a view to playing 4 games per year in front of 15k - 20k people at Cranbourne or Frankston. With Hawthorn moving to Dingley, maybe it's them.

Population growth is not slowing. In 30 years' time they could be the Geelong of the other side of the bay.
Who pays ?

It would be a quick death if any club were to relocate or play more than a game or two in the outer suburbs or anywhere outside of the major, central stadiums. Why would you risk alienating hundreds of thousands of existing supporters all across Melbourne, all of who can be at MCG or Docklands within an hour?

As compared with playing those same games in a different state?

As compared with playing those same games in a different state?
Well if they can get $8m a year like the Hawks then that will work. But not for the majority of games, no.
People travelling to somewhere like Cranbourne are nit going to stay the night or put any money into the local economy. You would get the hell our ASAP. So o government incentive to pay clubs to play there. Let alone spend $200m on a 20k stadium. Ridiculous notion.

Well if they can get $8m a year like the Hawks then that will work. But not for the majority of games, no.
People travelling to somewhere like Cranbourne are nit going to stay the night or put any money into the local economy. You would get the hell our ASAP. So o government incentive to pay clubs to play there. Let alone spend $200m on a 20k stadium. Ridiculous notion.

Many underestimate the Hawks admin efforts with its sponsors Tasmania, seeing it as simply selling a game. Like most sponsorships it had a commercial life.

Eddie Maguire might have been reading this thread. He just suggested North Melbourne effectively become Northern Melbourne..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back