State Redbacks

Remove this Banner Ad

I was thinking the same thing. Really after so long we should of moved on from him and definitely not had him as Captain. Far too much Redbacks baggage.

He will be 32 at the start of next season, I think the tease is over.

I can guarantee you he will be after a job at the SACA once his career is over. The same with Harry Neilsen.
Agree....but who is in line as next Captain?

Agree....but who is in line as next Captain?

It would have to be McSweeney, I read in an article the other day that he's contracted here for another 3 years which surprised me as talk was he could return to Qld. I rate McSweeney pretty highly but he needs to start putting consistent scores together, needs a ton in the next 2 games for it to be considered a good season IMO.

And never thought I'd say this but would there be any harm in getting Weatherald back?

It would have to be McSweeney, I read in an article the other day that he's contracted here for another 3 years which surprised me as talk was he could return to Qld. I rate McSweeney pretty highly but he needs to start putting consistent scores together, needs a ton in the next 2 games for it to be considered a good season IMO.

And never thought I'd say this but would there be any harm in getting Weatherald back?
He can't make the Tassy side at the moment

Outside of the bowlers who we tend to rotate anyway, Nielsen is really the only player who’s an automatic selection in the team ATM.

No idea if he has any leadership qualities , but every other player has either questions over their spot or are still young and developing their own game. I’d hate to see someone like McSweeney given the role before they’re ready and it hinder their game in the way it seems to have hurt Hunt.

Outside of the bowlers who we tend to rotate anyway, Nielsen is really the only player who’s an automatic selection in the team ATM.

No idea if he has any leadership qualities , but every other player has either questions over their spot or are still young and developing their own game. I’d hate to see someone like McSweeney given the role before they’re ready and it hinder their game in the way it seems to have hurt Hunt.
Pretty much because of the old man that has seen him with guaranteed unlimited opportunities, which then eventually he will score some runs every now and then.
Until the stench that is emanating from the High Performance office is removed, the Redbacks will forever be rooted at the foot of the ladder.

South Australia last won the Sheffield Shield in 1995-96 under Jamie Siddons.
This will be the 28th season since then we've gone without success.
The breakdown of the previous 27 seasons:
2nd 2x
3rd 3x
4th 5x
5th 2 x
6th 15x

Not very impressive, and there's nothing to suggest we won't be winning our 16th wooden spoon in the past 28 years.

Captains for our 13 Sheffield Shields:
1893-94 George Giffen
1909-10 Clem Hill
1912-13 Clem Hill
1926-27 Vic Richardson
1935-36 Don Bradman
1938-39 Don Bradman
1952-53 Phil Ridings
1963-64 Les Favell
1968-69 Les Favell
1970-71 Ian Chappell
1975-76 Ian Chappell
1981-82 David Hookes
1995-96 Jamie Siddons

I remember Ian Chappell saying that when he was no longer captain of Australia for the 1975-76 season, he told the board that he was going to lift the side from the bottom of the table to compete to win the shield. Apparently, an administrator Phil Ridings said, "What's wrong with finishing bottom? We finished there a number of times when I was captain". From 1954-55 to 1960-61, SA finished bottom 7 years in a row. This attitude angered Chappell and made him even more determined. History shows they went from bottom the previous 2 years to top. After Chappell retired, SA went straight to the bottom again.

Seems we need to search Australia wide, even other countries for someone with similar hunger and determination as Chappell. Just motoring along as we are and accepting mediocrity should never be acceptable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t believe it took this long, survived this mess for way too long

I read a comment on adelaidenow that we have finished last in 10 out if the 13 years he was High Performance Boss. If that's right it's a terrible record. Lucky to last 5 years.

Another good comment was that he was stepping aside to spend less time with family.

Last edited:
I would move Gillespie on from the Redbacks and keep him for the Strikers. If he doesn't like that then he is no loss. I'd move him on from the Strikers as well as I thought we got lucky but hard to sack him after finishing 3rd.

This is harsh given their late season performances but I'd move Harry Nielsen and Jake Lehmann on at the end of the season. I think they have played into too many failed Redbacks campaigns and countless batting collapses and far too many outright losses. We need a fresh start, no idea who would replace them though. I don't think that's the leadership we want around the team.

Again this may not get much support but I'd play Pope in the last two games. To be a decent team you need a spinner so give him some experience.

I would move Gillespie on from the Redbacks and keep him for the Strikers. If he doesn't like that then he is no loss. I'd move him on from the Strikers as well as I thought we got lucky but hard to sack him after finishing 3rd.

This is harsh given their late season performances but I'd move Harry Nielsen and Jake Lehmann on at the end of the season. I think they have played into too many failed Redbacks campaigns and countless batting collapses and far too many outright losses. We need a fresh start, no idea who would replace them though. I don't think that's the leadership we want around the team.

Again this may not get much support but I'd play Pope in the last two games. To be a decent team you need a spinner so give him some experience.
Lehmann is not the answer but who replaces him?

Tom Kelly maybe (did I see that he got another ton in grade cricket on Saturday)?

Lehmann is not the answer but who replaces him?

Tom Kelly maybe (did I see that he got another ton in grade cricket on Saturday)?

Clearly thin on options but I'd have Kelly in for Lehmann and Matthias in for Neilsen.

I'd have McSweeny as Captain but without knowing much about him off field even McAndrew as Captain. I think all the other bowlers are to young or should concentrate on getting into the Narional side.

As I said it might be step back but I think we need a clean slate.

Clearly thin on options but I'd have Kelly in for Lehmann and Matthias in for Neilsen.

I'd have McSweeny as Captain but without knowing much about him off field even McAndrew as Captain. I think all the other bowlers are to young or should concentrate on getting into the Narional side.

As I said it might be step back but I think we need a clean slate.
Do we know why Kelly didn’t play against Queensland?

He was dropped in place of Carey and they wanted to play Nielsen as a batter only. I believe he will be in the team this week from what I've heard.
But that's not the worst part. They dropped Kelly from the squad of 13 and included Carder!!!!! They should lock up the booze cabinet until AFTER selection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back