List Records & Bests - Most Goals By A Player In A Game (ex-fp discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Dont' got a lot of international scores here

18 - INT - Ezekiel Bitai - Defence (v Brandi) - Wewak Rules (PNG) - 1980 Aug 3
16 - INT - Karu Vala - Koboni (v Elcom) 1974 July - Port Morsby Australian Rules
16 - INT - Tony Datsimea - Asaroka (Korofeign) Goroka Australian Rules (PNG) - 1970 August
25 - INT - Bob McKenna - Sports Club (V Tech School) Goroka Australian Rules 1972 Sept

INTERNATIONAL

25 - INT - Bob McKenna - Sports Club (V Tech School) Goroka Australian Rules 1972 Sept
25 – INT – John Cawley – Amager (v Helsingborg) – Danish AFL - 1995
18 - INT - Ezekiel Bitai - Defence (v Brandi) - Wewak Rules (PNG) - 1980 Aug 3
17 – INT – Rick Ellis – Amager (v Copenhagen) – Danish AFL - 1994
17 – INT – Rasmus Ramussen – Arhus (v Copenhagen) – Danish AFL – 2002
16 - INT - Tony Datsimea - Asaroka (Korofeign) Goroka Australian Rules (PNG) - 1970 August
16 - INT - Karo Vala - Koboni (v Elcom) - Port Morsby Australian Rules - 1974 July

16 – INT – Adam West – Santa Cruz (v ?????????) – Golden Gate AFL - 2001
15 – INT – Mads Brinks – North Copenhagen (v Jutland) – Danish AFL - 2006
14 – INT – Shaun Hawking – Amager (v Helsingborg) – Danish AFL – 1997
14 – INT – Julien Kann – Munich (v Strasbourg) – AFL Germany – 200?

---------

Western Australian Jack SNOOK

Max Piggott (Queenscliff)

Last edited:

Charles Mckenzie Ascot Star 38 goals

Needs further investigation

Very few mentions of this league.

Earliest mentions begin in 1934 as a two-grade league: A-Grade for under-20's and B Grade for under-17's. The A-Grade teams were Brunswick City, Brunswick United, Central Brunswick, North Carlton Presbyterian, St. Paul's (Ascot Vale), Thornbury (District) Juniors, West Essendon Juniors. The grand final was going to be St Paul's - Thornbury Juniors but nothing about the game was reported.

For 1935, the A-Grade was for under-19's and B-Grade was for under 16's. The A-Grade teams were Albion Rovers, Ascot Rovers, Ascot Stars, Brunswick City, Doncaster Rovers, Thornbury District.

But after McKenzie's 38 goals, nothing appears on Trove. This is probably one for the library.

Charles Mckenzie Ascot Star 38 goals

Needs further investigation

Have had a search of Trove using similar rather than exact same information and cannot find any other refs to this event. The "exact" search, as others have mentioned, also finds very little about the club and league. Given the way such goal tallies are treated in that era, it is extraordinary that no other comment has been found.

In my opinion, the McKenzie 38 goals event should not be entered into the main list until more specific proof is found.
Should it be entered in italics at bottom of the list as a footnote and noted as unproven, or left off list altogether ?

Its not open age (as restricted to players 19yrs and under)
so would remain a footnote

Whenever someone in the bush/mallee/sticks kicked 20+ there
was always a rush to sign them and a paper trail

i guess charles never went further than park football

Last edited:
23 – Vic – Mr Walsh – Yarraville (v Prahran) – VJFA - 1923

i think they mean 23 goals v Prahran and 20 against Carnegie for a total of 43

This would be Jim Walsh (ex nth melbourne) Yarraville captain-coach playing against the prahran seconds.
Went back to the VFA with Brighton in 1926
a leading goal scorer 1926-28

Walsh's career path
North Melbourne CBC
Yarraville 1920 VJFA
North Melbourne fc VFA 1921 the 8 games before the team dissolved
South Melbourne VJFA 1922
Yarraville VJFA 1923/24
Brighton fc VFA 1925/1928
Brighton tech 1932 coach

brighton.jpg

Last edited:
30 – Vic – Jim Forbes – General Motors Holden (v Melbourne Boys) – Morning League – 1937 June 26

Scating around on trove for info on this

Melbourne Boy's only had 14 players
Austin Robertson was the coach of GMH

Jim Forbes could be the meltone forward who kicked 22 in 1928

Could also be Jim C Forbes of St kilda

Last edited:
can you tell me if this guy is the same Colin Campbell who played with collingwood?
i think the trinity one's initials are C.R

I'm not sure at the moment!
I think it's very likely it's the same person. They look rather similar, and he was born in 1918, so would be 17 at the time he was at Trinity Grammar School (1935), which would be about right. I can't find a middle initial for him from his Army records or Vic BDM:

can you tell me if this guy is the same Colin Campbell who played with collingwood?
i think the trinity one's initials are C.R

C. R. Campbell got a permit to go to Collegians in 1936 (from Trinity Grammar): https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/11030521

This has C. Campbell (Collegians) training with Hawthorn in 1940 - that was the year Colin Campbell joined Collingwood from Preston: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/11309278 (3 July 1940)
Edit: That makes it look unlikely then! Unless there was another C. Campbell from Collegians around at that time, the fact one was training at Hawthorn in July (by then Colin Campbell was playing senior football for Collingwood) should rule out the possibility!

In 1944 C. Campbell transferred from Hawthorn to St Kilda: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/206780050
Colin Campbell was said to be a promising recruit at St Kilda in 1945 (from Hawthorn): https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/245338381

So it seems he was at both Hawthorn and St Kilda without playing senior football. Definitely wasn't the chap who played with Collingwood.

I suspect this may be the 1935 Trinity Grammar footballer:

Last edited:
Some NSW scores

Both the weekend of 08081953
22 - Jim Braun Newtown (v Balmain) 1953 Aug 08
20 - Joe Hughes East Sydney (v Sydney) 1953 Aug 08

I think the F Braun (1955 27/26 goals) score that we've got is wrong, it does appear in later NSW records
and in the 3aw book ,however, Jim Braun didn't play that year and there was no sign of F Braun in the '55 records

2 Vic Scores
20 - Vic - H.Baxter - I.N.F (v Lara) Werribee District Football Association 1946 (Aug 17)
Irish National Foresters

22 - Vic - F Sawyer - Tarwin Lower (v Rambers) - Dumbalk Association - 1949 (Aug)

A really early WA Score
20 - WA - W. (Poet) Smith Mines Rovers (v Boulder Stars) - Goldfields - 1906

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

20 – Vic – Neville Mahney – South Rovers (v WIAE) – Warrnambool DFL – 1993
20 - Vic - Neville Mahney South Rovers (v W.I.A.E.) - Warrnambool DFL - 1984 (??)

What does WIAE stand for?

Neville Mahoney?

I still don't know what the letters stand for! Warrnambool Institute ?? , it seems!

About
The Sharks were formed in 1977 by a group of students as the Warrnambool Institute Football Club to provide students with a recreational outlet and providing a ‘non-academic’ view of the institute.

Last edited:
20 - Vic - Kevin Malseed - Heywood (v Merino-Digby) Western District FL - 1953 (July 04)

High expectations

malseed.jpg

Some other "another Coleman "s

Last edited:
updated to 2019
Victoria:
The All Victoria List
Most Goals kicked in a single Match/Game of Australian Football in Victoria
Any Senior league or Representative game played in that state
<snip>
More info needed
<snip>