Research Recent Deaths

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone (likely a family member) edited the wiki page of John Barrett (Footscray, Fitzroy) to say he passed away on August 11, 2023 at 10:30 am at Nepean Hospital, Kingswood, New South Wales aged 94. The edit has since been reversed as it was unsourced and I can't see anything in death notices or from either club - hopefully this can be confirmed if true
The editor has now added a photo of a death notice from the Blue Mountains Gazette as the reference. Definitely a friend or family member.

Stephen Rodgers advised me that Jeff Hilton's death date is July 30.
This information was provided by Russell Holmesby who received it from the coroner.
I have updated his wiki, but Demonwiki and AustralianFootball will need an update

Stephen Rodgers advised me that Jeff Hilton's death date is July 30.
This information was provided by Russell Holmesby who received it from the coroner.
I have updated his wiki, but Demonwiki and AustralianFootball will need an update
Update to the above update
Mr Hilton's death date is August 6th, not July 30th as per updated email received by me from AFL Historian Stephen Rodgers

Collingwood's Ken Bennett (1957-1962) died recently. He was a premiership player in 1958.

1693962168068.png

Message from Stephen Rodgers

"We noticed in the Herald Sun today,
a Roy Harper.
In fact the full name, matches the player's full name we had: Roy James Harper

There is a slight discrepancy in the date-of-birth, as you'll see.

So, we've changed our d-o-b, from
2 - 4 - 29, to now be 29 - 3 - 29,
in accordance with the notice.

And now with a date-of-death of
15 - 8 - 23.

We've been able to confirm today, it definitely is the Footscray player of 1952 - 55."

Don Nicholls, older brother of John Nicholls has died

as well at the bottom of the article it also says:
The Carlton Football Club also acknowledges the passing last Friday of four-game rover David Browning, the Perth recruit who completed his senior debut in Round 3, 1955 - a year before Don Nicholls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From Stephen Rodgers:
"David Browning of Carlton.

With a date-of-death of 8 - 9 - 23.

We also noted that the notice had a date-of-birth of 26 - 5 - 1932.

We had 26 - 5 - 33, which I think was universal, with his Wikipedia page also having that -
so we've amended that date to now be in accordance with the notice in the paper.
Dave Browning has died. "

Tasmanian football Legend Geoff Long died on 18 September in Queensland. He was about 93 years old.
Multi premiership winner with City/City-South, regular post-WW2 rep for the NTFA and Tasmania, and an All Australian in 1956.
Later on an administrator, and a panellist on "Sports Club" (TNT-9), iconic Sunday afternoon tv show in Launceston.

Vale Geof Motley

Geof Motley
250 games 1953 to 1966
156 goals
28 State games, six State goals

Nine premierships as a player (1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1962, 1963, 1965)
Four best-and-fairest awards (1958, 1959, 1963, 1965)
1964 Magarey Medallist

Captain 1959-66
Coach 1959-61

Australian Football Hall of Fame
South Australian Football Hall of Fame
Port Adelaide’s greatest team 1870-2000 + PAFC Hall of Fame

Paul Sullivan, 1 game for Hawks in 1959, appears to have died on 10 February 2023.
Whilst there is nothing absolutely certain, there is a video of his memorial service, that shows him blowing out his 60th birthday candles with the photo having the old printed date in the corner of 1 Oct 1997 (matches the footy player's 1 Oct 1937 birthday), and a photo with Hawks footy and fan dreadlocks.

Same user updated Bryan Horskins too have died on 9 March 2023, there is a matching DOB in his death notice.

Something bad is happening at Mulgrave, and it's not just Kennett!
Peter Scott and Rod Horrocks too! With Scott, the death notice that matches is for a Dr Peter R. Scott, but the date of birth is exactly 1 month off the footballer's. Error in footy records or the death notice?

Can't find anything to confirm Horrocks

Last edited:
Paul Sullivan, 1 game for Hawks in 1959, appears to have died on 10 February 2023.
Whilst there is nothing absolutely certain, there is a video of his memorial service, that shows him blowing out his 60th birthday candles with the photo having the old printed date in the corner of 1 Oct 1997 (matches the footy player's 1 Oct 1937 birthday), and a photo with Hawks footy and fan dreadlocks.

Same user updated Bryan Horskins too have died on 9 March 2023, there is a matching DOB in his death notice.

Something bad is happening at Mulgrave, and it's not just Kennett!
Peter Scott and Rod Horrocks too! With Scott, the death notice that matches is for a Dr Peter R. Scott, but the date of birth is exactly 1 month off the footballer's. Error in footy records or the death notice?

Can't find anything to confirm Horrocks
While the death notice in The Age for Peter Scott has 24/2/1931 for a DOB it's interesting to note that the one in the Herald Sun has both that and 24/03/1931!: SCOTT, Peter Robert | Death Notices | Melbourne | My Tributes
1697516181551.png
1697516129136.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back