Rank the 300-game players

Remove this Banner Ad

Wayne Schimmelbusch and Francis Bourke are 2 players I have seen who I would absolutely have in my 'Best team I have seen' - but probably not in the list of 'Best Players I have seen'.

Those guys just did what was required to win the game - very fair, but very tough. When the game was on the line, they were not beaten. I want them in my team.

Bruce Doull was probably a better HBF than Bourke (Bourke also played successfully at wing and full-back). Bruce Doull was one of the most skilfull players I have ever seen - he was also thinking two steps ahead of most opponents. Purely on football skill - Doull was better. But if you wanted a supportive team-mate, inspiring leader, someone to 'show the flag' - Bourke. Not that Doull was deficient in this area - just Bourke (and Schimmelbusch) were exceptional.

Very hard to rate them as individuals - the Highlights reel for both is fairly slim (except for Bourke 'Kicking a goal while bleeding to death(!!)', but their influence was far above what it seemed at face value.

No mention of Bernie Quinlan here...definitely one of the most gifted ever to play the game.

The fact that he never played in successful sides probably reduces his status a bit, but he had the ability to make very good players look completely out of their depth. Many a game I saw was just another "Quinlan Show", eg the day he kicked 7.9 while North kicked 5.11 (circa 1971).

Definitely in my Top 20.

Plus he played cricket at state level, and he's clocked over 500 senior footy games all up :thumbsu:

The main reason why this is counting VFL/AFL games, if people started counting player's country league games such as the SAFL, VFL reserves or the old VFA games (all the same standard) then there will be some players with inexcess of 500 games.:cool:

Tim Watson seems to be oddly overlooked. Was probably the barometer for the Bombers in their dominant era mid 80s. I loved Scimma too. Schimma never turned matches in the way that Watson did but he was super effective and super cool. And Quinlan was an out and out superstar.

Matthews
Whitten
Reynolds
Coventry
S Madden
Nicholls
Bartlett
Harvey
Doull
Mcleod
Murray
Silvagni
Ricciuto
Watson
Dyer
Quinlan
Bradley
Roos
Tuck
Scimma

I'm struggling to understand how anyone can have Whitten above Reynolds? :eek:

Depends how you rate great key position players, particularly CHB where there are few who could dominate from there. Didn't see either so just going on a gut feel. And I have read copious amounts about King Dick and know how highly revered he was.

Current list
426 Michael Tuck Hawthorn
403 Kevin Bartlett Richmond
383 Robert Harvey St. Kilda
378 Simon Madden Essendon
375 Craig Bradley Carlton
366 Bernie Quinlan Footscray (177) / Fitzroy (189)
359 John Blakey Fitzroy (135) / North Melbourne (224)
356 Bruce Doull Carlton
356 Paul Roos Fitzroy (269) / Sydney Swans (87)
350 Doug Hawkins Footscray (329) / Fitzroy (21)
349 Brad Johnson Western Bulldogs
341 Chris Grant Western Bulldogs
336 John Rantall South Melbourne (260) / North Melbourne (70) / Fitzroy (6)
333 David Cloke Richmond (219) / Collingwood (114)
333 Kevin Murray Fitzroy
332 Justin Madden Essendon (45) / Carlton (287)
332 Leigh Matthews Hawthorn
329 Gary Dempsey Footscray (207) / North Melbourne (122)
328 John Nicholls Carlton
328 Barry Round Footscray (135) / South Melbourne (193)
328* Andrew McLeod Adelaide
325 Ian Nankervis Geelong
324 Scott West Western Bulldogs
324 Paul Salmon Essendon (224) / Hawthorn (100)
323 Nathan Burke St. Kilda
321 Stewart Loewe St. Kilda
321 Ted Whitten Footscray
320 Dick Reynolds Essendon
318 Marcus Ashcroft B Bears (152) / B Lions (166)
316* Jason Akermanis B Bears (38) / B Lions (210) / Western Bulldogs (68)
313 Terry Daniher South Melbourne (19) / Essendon (294)
313 Roger Merrett Essendon (149) / Brisbane Bears (164)
313 Tony Shaw Collingwood
312 Jack Dyer Richmond
312 Stephen Silvagni Carlton
312 Mark Ricciuto Adelaide
312* Dustin Fletcher Essendon
311 Ben Hart Adelaide
311 Glenn Archer North Melbourne
311* Tyson Edwards Adelaide
307 Tim Watson Essendon
306 David Neitz Melbourne
306 Gordon Coventry Collingwood
306 Alastair Lynch Fitzroy (120) / Brisbane Bears (32) / Brisbane Lions (154)
306 Wayne Schimmelbusch North Melbourne
306 Paul Williams Collingwood (189) / Sydney Swans (117)
306 Adam Simpson North Melbourne
305 Shane Crawford Hawthorn
304 Russell Greene St. Kilda (120) / Hawthorn (184)
303 Michael O'Loughlin Sydney Swans
303 Chris Langford Hawthorn
302 Don Scott Hawthorn
301 Len Thompson Collingwood (268) / South Melbourne (20) / Fitzroy (13)
301 Shannon Grant Sydney Swans (58) / North Melbourne (243)
300 Francis Bourke Richmond
300 Barry Breen St Kilda
300 Garry Foulds Essendon
300 Michael Martyn North Melbourne (287) / Carlton (13)
300 Kelvin Moore Hawthorn
300 John 'Sam' Newman Geelong
300 Rohan Smith Western Bulldogs
300 Gavin Wanganeen Essendon (127) / Port Adelaide (173)

Some great players there.

Too difficult to rank ..

Ruckman - Simon Madden
Rover - Leigh Matthews
Defender - Paul Roos
Forward - Francis Bourke

The history books and the AFL say "best of all time" :rolleyes:

And I remember at the same time as the AFL TOTC, the Herald Sun got their experts to do the Top 200 players of all time - Silvagni wasn't even the top-ranked Carlton full-back (Southby was higher). There might have been other full-backs in there as well.

Expert opinion. Meh. I'm sure you can find someone who thinks your favorite player was the bees knees. And that opinion is every bit as worthwhile as yours.

Currently 97 players have managed to play 300+ games.

By the end of this season, it's possible the list will increase to 100.

Patrick Dangerfield, Shane Edwards and Josh P Kennedy are all strong chances to achieve 300 games this year. Josh J Kennedy is next on the list but he will just fall short (this year).

Sam Newman should be included as people forget what a great player he was for such a long time. He played against John Nicholls, Don Scott, Carl Ditterich, Neville Crowe, Noel Teasdale, Len Thompson, Gary Dempsey, Barry Round, Graham Moss, Simon Madden, Graham Teasdale, Peter Keenan etc in an era when ruckmen won Brownlows...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon Gary Jr by now would be in the top echelon. Maybe not ahead of Lethal whose goalkicking exploits were amazing (915 goals) but from 2007 until his shoulder injury in 2014 he was without doubt the best player in the AFL for that period of time. If Dusty makes 300 he's be right up there too. Franklin also.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back