Random thoughts...

Remove this Banner Ad

Got bored this arvo. Am at my fave ex's joint in country Victoria. The wretch was doing some work and so I opened the Laptop.

The Guardian - Gave it the Pass on throughs
Nytimes - Too much Trump news
BF - too many wrongheaded views
SFA - and there is Hoos

First time I have opened this thread. "Random thoughts" eh? That is pretty much what I have when scribbling any of my posts.

Got bored this arvo. Am at my fave ex's joint in country Victoria. The wretch was doing some work and so I opened the Laptop.

SFA - and there is Hoos

First time I have opened this thread. "Random thoughts" eh? That is pretty much what I have when scribbling any of my posts.
You will love this thread.

SFA - and there is Hoos

Did you bring some brunch?

Did you bring some brunch?
Leftover Bolognese pasta bake was today's brunch.

/////

Anyone here a fan of Gordon's Gin? 1.7 litre bottle for roughly $25 at Costco. I haven't drank gin for 20 odd years. If prices like this continue I may have to revisit it.

SFA - and there is Hoos
At your service my dear old sausage slapping sophisticate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmmn... a bit after 5.30am

2x Caffe Coretto - check
4 or so durries - check

Have snuck off to the dining room and am reading the news - groan

I know full well I am not of the bruncher persuasion, but here is a recipe they and/or others may enjoy. Modern versions date from the middle ages but I can assure you it featured in different forms during the one decent period of humanity - the Roman Empire. Historical revisionists claim Piedmont was the source - they are incorrect.

The recipe is designed for families or friends to sit around a pot of hot olive oil and dip in bread, raw vegies (eg Celery, Carrots, Radishes, Capsicums, Spring Onions) and cooked vegies (eg spuds, beetroot, artichokes, roasted and skinned peppers, boiled or better still roasted cauliflower, even fried apple quarters). Use a fork ya wee piggies as the oil is hot.

Bagne Cauda (serves 4+)

Raw and cooked vegetables dipped into a warm pot of heated good olive oil in which anchovies (mashed) and bulko garlic cloves have been simmered. I add whole black peppercorns and a couple of dried chillis to give it some zip.

Utensils

Small saucepan
forks
(if you are of the mega bruncher persuasion, a grannie probably bequeathed you a fondue set - time to dust it off. Alternatively use one of those pots you put at a table that have a candle underneath - cheap as fekkin chips in Chinatown)

Ingredients

2 cups of good olive oil
tin or small jar of anchovies (drained then mashed) *
cup of red wine (merlot is nice)
4 heads of garlic, broken up, skinned with each clove quartered
tablespoon of black peppercorns
2 or 3 whole dried hot chillies (optional)
mix of cooked or raw vegies cut into strips or chunks
cubes of sour dough bread and/or baked cubes of baked polenta squares (latter is a delicious gluten free alternative)

Method
1. Soak drained anchovies in merlot for a couple of hours, then drain off the plonk and mash the anchovies into a glorious mess. ( vegetarian alternative is to just use a half .tbspoon of salt)
2. Warm olive oil on low heat to a bare simmer.
3. Chuck in the stacks of quartered garlic you've prepped and the mashed anchovies, peppercorns and chilli.
4. Simmer away for 20-30 minutes, watching carefully so the garlic does not burn
5. Plonk the saucepan in the middle of the table (or into a fondue or pot with candle underneath) where you have artfully arraigned colourful cooked and raw veg, bread and/or polenta cubes.
6.Give everyone a fork to spear morsels and dip into the oil. Eat and chat away. Half way through I will re-heat the oil for a moment or two.

Whenever I trundle off for a camping holiday with a group of friends, I will get asked to make this.

Hmmn... a bit after 5.30am

2x Caffe Coretto - check
4 or so durries - check

Have snuck off to the dining room and am reading the news - groan

I know full well I am not of the bruncher persuasion, but here is a recipe they and/or others may enjoy. Modern versions date from the middle ages but I can assure you it featured in different forms during the one decent period of humanity - the Roman Empire. Historical revisionists claim Piedmont was the source - they are incorrect.

The recipe is designed for families or friends to sit around a pot of hot olive oil and dip in bread, raw vegies (eg Celery, Carrots, Radishes, Capsicums, Spring Onions) and cooked vegies (eg spuds, beetroot, artichokes, roasted and skinned peppers, boiled or better still roasted cauliflower, even fried apple quarters). Use a fork ya wee piggies as the oil is hot.

Bagne Cauda (serves 4+)

Raw and cooked vegetables dipped into a warm pot of heated good olive oil in which anchovies (mashed) and bulko garlic cloves have been simmered. I add whole black peppercorns and a couple of dried chillis to give it some zip.

Utensils

Small saucepan
forks
(if you are of the mega bruncher persuasion, a grannie probably bequeathed you a fondue set - time to dust it off. Alternatively use one of those pots you put at a table that have a candle underneath - cheap as fekkin chips in Chinatown)

Ingredients

2 cups of good olive oil
tin or small jar of anchovies (drained then mashed) *
cup of red wine (merlot is nice)
4 heads of garlic, broken up, skinned with each clove quartered
tablespoon of black peppercorns
2 or 3 whole dried hot chillies (optional)
mix of cooked or raw vegies cut into strips or chunks
cubes of sour dough bread and/or baked cubes of baked polenta squares (latter is a delicious gluten free alternative)

Method
1. Soak drained anchovies in merlot for a couple of hours, then drain off the plonk and mash the anchovies into a glorious mess. ( vegetarian alternative is to just use a half .tbspoon of salt)
2. Warm olive oil on low heat to a bare simmer.
3. Chuck in the stacks of quartered garlic you've prepped and the mashed anchovies, peppercorns and chilli.
4. Simmer away for 20-30 minutes, watching carefully so the garlic does not burn
5. Plonk the saucepan in the middle of the table (or into a fondue or pot with candle underneath) where you have artfully arraigned colourful cooked and raw veg, bread and/or polenta cubes.
6.Give everyone a fork to spear morsels and dip into the oil. Eat and chat away. Half way through I will re-heat the oil for a moment or two.

Whenever I trundle off for a camping holiday with a group of friends, I will get asked to make this.
I’m two Colombian espressos down and shaking, totally worth it.

I refuse to read the news anymore.

Unless it’s about Carlton winning, so I refuse to read the news anymore.

You will therefore traverse the remainder of your days, blissfully ignorant of the news.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back