Preview R6 - GC v Adelaide: Sat 7:40pm, AO

Remove this Banner Ad

Tonight's effort was far better than I expected.
After watching the West Coast game I was thinking this would be 100+ to Adelaide.
A least here we adjusted the team for what is required. Spencer and Barlow should both have played against West Coast's taller team - and if they had then that 80+ loss would not have happened and our percentage would be far better.
We are a game behind the others on 3 wins because of it...!

Tonight's effort was far better than I expected.
After watching the West Coast game I was thinking this would be 100+ to Adelaide.
A least here we adjusted the team for what is required. Spencer and Barlow should both have played against West Coast's taller team - and if they had then that 80+ loss would not have happened and our percentage would be far better.
We are a game behind the others on 3 wins because of it...!
Spot on , i also think that because of the travel some players need to be rested regardless of form .

Can’t wait till Ah Chee and Wright come into the forward line, which will give us a target besides Lynch
I think that will make a massive difference.
Agreed. Next week the Suns play the youngest team in the comp, so making some key changes won't hurt. Day can't justify his place forever with these performances so far below his best, so let him go and dominate in the NEAFL until he gets his touch back. Wright is our best Full Forward and the message should be loud and clear that he is our future in that position. Ah Chee is just as important, even if he isn't quite there yet as a midfielder, he is better than Ainsworth. Brodie would be an upgrade on Young and Scheer has more to offer than Holman. Ballard is probably an improvement on Rosa, who is slowing down and won't be around in 2019. Jack Leslie and Brayden Crossley are playing behind in form players, such is our depth, and Jacob Dawson wouldn't look out of place in our midfield or defence but there's no obvious player to make way for him.

All those players who I've named to be demoted could come back to the Senior team and be worthy, but what is the point of having depth and not exploiting it? Play the form players and get rewarded by having the confidence to play them. The Dogs are nothing like their 2016 side and will be crapping themselves knowing that the Suns midfield and defence is superior to anything they have to offer.

Agreed. Next week the Suns play the youngest team in the comp, so making some key changes won't hurt. Day can't justify his place forever with these performances so far below his best, so let him go and dominate in the NEAFL until he gets his touch back. Wright is our best Full Forward and the message should be loud and clear that he is our future in that position. Ah Chee is just as important, even if he isn't quite there yet as a midfielder, he is better than Ainsworth. Brodie would be an upgrade on Young and Scheer has more to offer than Holman. Ballard is probably an improvement on Rosa, who is slowing down and won't be around in 2019. Jack Leslie and Brayden Crossley are playing behind in form players, such is our depth, and Jacob Dawson wouldn't look out of place in our midfield or defence but there's no obvious player to make way for him.

All those players who I've named to be demoted could come back to the Senior team and be worthy, but what is the point of having depth and not exploiting it? Play the form players and get rewarded by having the confidence to play them. The Dogs are nothing like their 2016 side and will be crapping themselves knowing that the Suns midfield and defence is superior to anything they have to offer.

You were going so well until that last sentence. Anything like our form against Sydney will be enough. Expecting a close game

Do you think some of them are just tired , i mean even interstate team with good players don't travel as much as GC this season . Holman don't even travel because he only play SNAFL last year .

Can't explain my love affair with Young, it's not justified. Yes he went at 54%, only 1 mark, no goals but from his 13 disposals (9 contested) he gained 345m - our 4th highest metres gained. When you consider our game plan at this stage is about pressure (4 tackles - 3 i50) and quick ball movement like I said last week, he always offers the team something, even if that thing is different every week. He's not always that bad with his disposal, he's actually a very good set of hands, and he does have great goal sense.

That's my case for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You were going so well until that last sentence. Anything like our form against Sydney will be enough. Expecting a close game
I'm not saying the Dogs are bad, just that they aren't anywhere near where they were 19 months ago. Sydney's not going that well either, Geelong's not even as good as they were 9 months ago, while the Suns are 3 and 3 playing 6 games away from home. The Dogs would have chalked this up as a win at the beginning of the season, but what they've seen can't be inspiring confidence.
Do you think some of them are just tired , i mean even interstate team with good players don't travel as much as GC this season . Holman don't even travel because he only play SNAFL last year .
Yeah, I think some guys were knackered by Round 3. I went on record before the preseason that Dew would play the most experienced team and run on a next man up principle. Rischa lasted 5 games before being benched, Day has walked straight back into the team, Hanley was given the benefit of the doubt, but Barlow was made to play himself back into match fitness because of his injury. Young and Holman were brought into the team because there are 7 players on the list with 0 games, 6 playing their second season, 6 players in their 3rd season and 4 in their 4th.
The hard and fast facts are that by the end of this season there are going to be players with experience, be it 100 games in the AFL or 2nd tier comps, who will make way for new talent coming in. Guys like Ballard, Scheer or Brodie don't have worry about their roster spots because we can afford to nurture them through the NEAFL as this will make them better players in the future. However, the longer the season goes the more compelling they can make their case for selection and when a place becomes available through form, injury or tactics they will be ready. Players will tire of the travelling, no doubt, but that is what the bye round is for. This list is getting a clean out in October with the new coaching and list management in a far better place to judge needs. I'd rather see what we've got and reload mid-season than have us tank another season to try to get games into young legs.

I'm not saying the Dogs are bad, just that they aren't anywhere near where they were 19 months ago. Sydney's not going that well either, Geelong's not even as good as they were 9 months ago, while the Suns are 3 and 3 playing 6 games away from home. The Dogs would have chalked this up as a win at the beginning of the season, but what they've seen can't be inspiring confidence.

Youngest team in the competition with one of if not the biggeat injury list comprising of so many senior players. I'm sure the club is fine with where things are sitting given.

I also highly doubt the club would be chalking down wins in the preseason. That is a ridiculous comment.

GC may be 3-3 having had away trips to perth but they also got belted in both of those with wins against Brisbane and Carlton and another in terrible conditions against Norf. Not sure where your over confidence is coming from to be honest

Youngest team in the competition with one of if not the biggeat injury list comprising of so many senior players. I'm sure the club is fine with where things are sitting given.

I also highly doubt the club would be chalking down wins in the preseason. That is a ridiculous comment.

GC may be 3-3 having had away trips to perth but they also got belted in both of those with wins against Brisbane and Carlton and another in terrible conditions against Norf. Not sure where your over confidence is coming from to be honest

I’m a very long way from ever being confident against any opposition. Our effort is still too inconsistent. You guys won the flag too recently too to not be given respect.

I’m a very long way from ever being confident against any opposition. Our effort is still too inconsistent. You guys won the flag too recently too to not be given respect.
Early weather forecast for Ballarat next Saturday looks good:

Mostly sunny 6°C -19°C
Chance of rain: 50% (< 1mm)
mostly_sunny.png

Humidity: 9am: 87% 3pm: 49%
Wind 9am:
nw_0.gif
NW 19km/h

mars_stadium_13_thumb4.jpg

mars_stadium_06_thumb4.jpg

mars_stadium_05_thumb4.jpg

No doubt WB are favourite against Suns. Like it or not this 9 weeks travelling is a reality and is affecting Suns. It would not surprise me if Suns are 3W 6L at bye. I was actually surprised by second half fight back after 6 day break vs Crows 8 days break. Again WB have extra day rest. WB vs Carlton was one of the worst games I watched this year so Suns have a shot. Don't underestimate Lions, they can hurt you in Etihad round 8. I watched all their games and in all of them except against Richmond (worst performance I had seen in long time) they were in it. Against GWS they were very impressive, only missing shots in 1st qtr prevented them to be in it. They started to move ball well, have no injuries and are ready to put some Ws on the board. I actually tip them to beat Magpies next Sun at Gabba.

No doubt WB are favourite against Suns. Like it or not this 9 weeks travelling is a reality and is affecting Suns. It would not surprise me if Suns are 3W 6L at bye. I was actually surprised by second half fight back after 6 day break vs Crows 8 days break. Again WB have extra day rest. WB vs Carlton was one of the worst games I watched this year so Suns have a shot. Don't underestimate Lions, they can hurt you in Etihad round 8. I watched all their games and in all of them except against Richmond (worst performance I had seen in long time) they were in it. Against GWS they were very impressive, only missing shots in 1st qtr prevented them to be in it. They started to move ball well, have no injuries and are ready to put some Ws on the board. I actually tip them to beat Magpies next Sun at Gabba.

Not worried about Brisbane at all.

GC concern me more... yes Friday night wasn’t great though there were some positive signs at times, just poor goal kicking and some really dumb mistakes.

Having said that I still doubt the GC backline and midfield will have the dogs “shitting themselves”.. it is likely to be close either way and neither set of supporters should be overconfident

Thought the guys battled manfully after being completely outclassed in the first half.
We have to get use to the idea that we are going to struggle to kick more than 12 goals in too many
games this year. We don't have the class or forwards to kick multiple goals.
Our lack of outside pace and lack of penetrating kicks makes it difficult to score quickly.
Thought our defence stuck to their task manfully against constant pressure all night.
David Swallow Played just about his best game ever continually imposing himself.
Miller and Lyons battled hard all game but neither are penetrating kicks that can hurt the opposition.
Witts broke about even with Jacobs which was a good result.
In defence May and Thompson did about as well as they could under the circumstances.
Jack Martin has to play forward,he is our only real super skilled player at the moment.
Lynch and Day less said the better, if your more senior players don't perform to a reasonable
level little chance of winning many games.
Lets be opposite this draw has been a nightmare for these boys travelling all over the country then
rewarded with a six day break compared to an 8 day break for team just not fair,imagine
Collingwood doing this !
Finally the umpires ! didn't change the result but possibly the most biased umpiring I have seen in 55 years
of watching AFL, and I use to go TO Victoria Park and Windy Hill to watch Fitzroy try to beat the opposition
plus the umpires.
The Sun Is Shining Again On The Gold Coast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back